rossi mag tubes to Henry style mag tubes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

rossi mag tubes to Henry style mag tubes

Post by oldebear1950 »

Does anyone convert the magazine tubes on ROSSI R 92s to the style like Henry does? It seems to be a safer system especially for unloading.
I know, I grew up with Winchesters and Marlins, and we always had to unload cycling the rounds thru the chamber. I am 73, and have never had a problem, but it just seems safer to not have to do the for unloading.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: rossi mag tubes to Henry style mag tubes

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's an interesting question. I have never heard of this conversion being done, but I bet it could.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The only issue I see is if the follower is dropped it can set off the cartridges in the magazine tube. Ian on Forgotten Weapons had one such experience and was injured .. though not seriously ... by it.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

oldebear1950 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:20 am Does anyone convert the magazine tubes on ROSSI R 92s to the style like Henry does? It seems to be a safer system especially for unloading.
I know, I grew up with Winchesters and Marlins, and we always had to unload cycling the rounds thru the chamber. I am 73, and have never had a problem, but it just seems safer to not have to do the for unloading.
Interesting you mention this. The Remington 121 22 rifle from the 1930's I learned to shoot on and still shoot, had the tube that you could pull from the front and dump the rounds out. In Cowboy Action Shooting one of the major criticisms of the Henry has always been the tube loading and worry of a bullet nose to primer discharge. Many think that was one reason Henry added the loading gate. I have always cycled through the action in most cases. But, I see your logic in thinking through the issue.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

My granddad taught my brother and I to shoot using a Remington semi auto 22 and it had that type of loading system, and many years ago I had a savage model 6 and it also had that type of loading system. I am told so did many others.

My two granddads taught us also to use lever action 30-30 rifles, one had a Winchester, the other a Marlin, and unloading was to cycle the rounds thru the chamber, fingers away from the trigger, and we never had an accident.

But just because it never happened does not mean it can't.

I have a new Henry with the loading gate and the tube loading and unloading, and just seems a safer way is all I am saying
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Ian's accident involved a original style spring loaded follower. New Henrys are no problem as long as you don't free-fall cartridges down a vertical tube.
I have written Henry suggesting a update kit for those of us who are tired of pinching fingers on Marlin loading gates. I received no reply. Perhaps more requests would be noticed.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

765x53 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:05 pm Ian's accident involved a original style spring loaded follower. New Henrys are no problem as long as you don't free-fall cartridges down a vertical tube.
I have written Henry suggesting a update kit for those of us who are tired of pinching fingers on Marlin loading gates. I received no reply. Perhaps more requests would be noticed.
Thanks.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

I though his accident involved the original 1860 style Henry rifle, and he was just dumping in the cartridges, and it went off when the nose of one cartridge hit the primer of another cartridge. since that mag tube is open he had a problem
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMI7r6AM6EA
this video demonstrates unloading thru the loading gate. it's fast and safe. I haven't used a stick, but it might help. this begins about 1:40 on the tape . . .
we learned this from a Swedish hunter who could empty the magazine faster than you can load it, maybe his video is on the wayback space.
grizz
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have seen folks unload that way and a couple of my lever actions will spit out the rounds if you push the loading gate down far enough and keep your fat thumb out of the way.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

oldebear1950 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:20 am Does anyone convert the magazine tubes on ROSSI R 92s to the style like Henry does? It seems to be a safer system especially for unloading.
I actually just had this same thought/question about a week or so ago. I've been thinking of getting a Rossi, but it seems the biggest complaint is the loading gate being stiff and hard to load. So, I imagine it would be even harder to try to unload through it. In the video, it looks like the guy is unloading a 30-30 through the loading gate. I've done that, but a 30-30 is going to be a lot easier to unload that way than a .357. and again, the loading gate on the Rossi R92 looks half as long as the loading gate on a marlin or winchester 30-30.

I would love to have a tube loader on a Rossi
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

FLINT wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:44 pm
I actually just had this same thought/question about a week or so ago. I've been thinking of getting a Rossi, but it seems the biggest complaint is the loading gate being stiff and hard to load. So, I imagine it would be even harder to try to unload through it. In the video, it looks like the guy is unloading a 30-30 through the loading gate. I've done that, but a 30-30 is going to be a lot easier to unload that way than a .357. and again, the loading gate on the Rossi R92 looks half as long as the loading gate on a marlin or winchester 30-30.

I would love to have a tube loader on a Rossi
How about a Henry? Do they have a tube loader?

I don't have a 92 here. Just tried with the 94 .357 Ranger, which is easy to feed but can't back out rounds like the 92, the action prevents it. Will have to try neighbor's Rossi 92, but it's a 45, but the action should be the same. I never noticed levergun magazines being hard to load, but I think that the spring could be softened a bit. The pro's will know for sure...

The 94 unloads very easy by lifting the round up with the lever and then dumping it out before it's driven toward the chamber, so the entire mag can be unloaded this way without chambering a round or having to depress the gate

grizz
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I originally wanted a Henry, and have been casually looking at/for them for the last year or so, but they were never available, and would occasionally pop up on gun broker but never for less than $1200 and often around $1500 which is kind of crazy. also, the 14" LOP on the henry's just makes me less excited about them. If you look the Rossis can be had for less than $700 which is dramatically less. The Rossis can be had in stainless also which is nice and have a much shorter LOP which I greatly prefer and really need. I know stocks can be chopped down, but I don't want to pay over a grand for something that I then have to modify.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have had Rossi 92s that I have that kind of tube from the factory, in 44 Magnum, as well as 454 Casull.

So clearly it is a possible option.

Rossi is difficult to get parts from butt. It may just be a matter of ordering the different tube and follower. Having said that, the band that attaches them, and/or the forend cap, would also need changed out, and presumably the forend has a larger hole bored through it, so, I’m guessing those parts would either need replaced, or modified accordingly. But that would be the case regardless of whether you at with a Henry or Rossi parts set.

I have always liked the ability to unload a gun when I’m coming in from a winter hunt, with stiff fingers and gloves and fogged up glasses without having to cycle them through the action.

On the other hand, I also like having the loading gate, because in the rare situation I would be using the gun for defensive purposes, being able to top off the magazine, without rendering the gun momentarily inactive, seems like a great advantage.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "