Another acquisition!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Another acquisition!

Post by marlinman93 »

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Re: Another acquisition!

Post by Walt »

That's pretty exciting,,,,thanks, Vall!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I'm concerned that Hodgdon is becoming a monopoly in the reloading business and that means bad things price wise in the future.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I'm less concerned about the price than I am about monopolies in ammunition and reloading supplies.

One company can quit the business or decide to do something politically correct and it will have a
HUGE and negative effect on reloaders.

Same with ammo makers.

Lots of smaller companies is much better for the end user.

-Stretch
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Steve, I share your concerns -- and Stretch, yours, too.
At least Hodgdon did divest itself of Goex, so we have domestic black available again.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Hodgdon will hardly be a monopoly in the reloading business. They are the largest powder supplier, but other than gunpowder they didn't sell anything else reloading related. And RCBS has lots of competition already, so they also aren't a monopoly. I think this marriage wont affect any of us the wrong way.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:18 pm Hodgdon will hardly be a monopoly in the reloading business. They are the largest powder supplier, but other than gunpowder they didn't sell anything else reloading related. And RCBS has lots of competition already, so they also aren't a monopoly. I think this marriage wont affect any of us the wrong way.
What's to say that Hodgdon will stop there? It seems that they are actively acquiring pieces of the reloading business and how do we know what their end game is? That's all I'm saying as like most, I believe competition in business is good for everyone.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

I think it will be a good thing, though I wish they didn't have a monopoly on powder. I like that they have a Christian mission statement on their website, https://hodgdonpowderco.com/hodgdon/
Hodgdon Powder Company operates following Biblical principles to honor God. Our mission is to provide quality products and services in a manner which enhances the lives of our employees, families, customers, suppliers, and our communities. In doing so, we deal with integrity and honesty, reflecting that people are more important than dollars, and that our purpose is to bring credit to our Lord Jesus Christ.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

COSteve wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:18 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:18 pm Hodgdon will hardly be a monopoly in the reloading business. They are the largest powder supplier, but other than gunpowder they didn't sell anything else reloading related. And RCBS has lots of competition already, so they also aren't a monopoly. I think this marriage wont affect any of us the wrong way.
What's to say that Hodgdon will stop there? It seems that they are actively acquiring pieces of the reloading business and how do we know what their end game is? That's all I'm saying as like most, I believe competition in business is good for everyone.
Where else is Hodgdon "actively acquiring pieces of the reloading business"? They simply own their powder business, and now RCBS. Hardly an attempt to corner the market or create a monopoly. I guess if they suddenly went on a rampage buying up Hornady, Lyman, Lee, etc. I could follow this logic.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Makes little if any difference to me . I doubt I buy anymore die sets and if so most likely Redding or CH-4D now . Nothing wrong with RCBS I just like Redding more and CH-4D is the more economic choice for the unusual .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

6pt-sika wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:21 pm Makes little if any difference to me . I doubt I buy anymore die sets and if so most likely Redding or CH-4D now . Nothing wrong with RCBS I just like Redding more and CH-4D is the more economic choice for the unusual .
Same here. When it comes to all my weird obsolete cartridges C&H4D is the first and only choice for me. I have mostly C&H die sets for obsolete cartridges. But mostly RCBS for common modern stuff. But those were all bought 40 years ago or more for the most part.