This Aero Precision offering will upset some folks...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

This Aero Precision offering will upset some folks...

Post by AJMD429 »

They have entered the levergun market - of course with a 'tactical' version (not exactly like anyone can come up with a 'better' version of the 'vintage' versions, which are pretty much perfect for their purposes)...

https://www.offgridweb.com/gear/aero-pr ... ion-rifle/

I do get annoyed with some of the 'vintage' levergun features/faults though:

- the problem when one gets soaking wet from rain or snow, especially under the forend.
- the difficulty in attaching good sights for old eyes.
- the difficulty in attaching a light/laser for nocturnal farmstead use.

These aluminum chassis type levergun carbines get around those issues, even if they 'look funny'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Re: This Aero Precision offering will upset some folks...

Post by JimT »

While it is certainly not something I am interested in, these days I hate to "pooh pooh" anyone who is venturing into the firearms field with something new. And if marketed, it will attract some. Whether that's enough to make it viable or not will remain to be seen.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’m not really sure what they are trying to do, but if folks want this, who am I to object?

But I’m sticking with my old fashioned leverguns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I haven't posted much lately, but I can't let this chance pass by.

That is the ugliest piece of pelosi out there and I wouldn't own one or shoot one if it was offered to me for free with a lifetime supply of ammo.

There is nothing wrong with walnut and steel lever guns, just take care of of them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

J Miller wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:46 am I wouldn't own one or shoot one if it was offered to me for free with a lifetime supply of ammo.

Joe
Joe, I can’t go there! A lifetime supply of ammo?????
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

My eyes! My eyes! A new low in firearms for sure. Butt ugly is all I can say.

Edit to Add:

Not on a bet. Not if it was free. Not if they paid me to take it.

I'd be embarrassed to be seen in public with that monstrosity.
Last edited by COSteve on Fri May 03, 2024 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

After looking at other recent abominations, I don't think this one is the worst of the lot -- and Aero Precision makes some pretty good AR parts. What I can't abide is the skeletonized "chassis" butt stock that would seem ready to catch on just about anything. Horrible choice for brush.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

That is one ugly rifle. I like walnut and blue and if I am hunting in snow or pouring rain, I pull out my JM Marlin XLR in .308ME with the nice leupold 2 x7x 33 in silver. That solves any objections in my book.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I will .. like Scott ... stick to the old tried and true leverguns.
IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_3179.JPG
I took the Rossi .357 to the CSA Shoot in Arkansas last week. Using the 125 gr. Speer jacketed bullet over 20 gr. of WC820 at ranges to 100 yards offhand it proved accurate. I was able to ring the 4" target at 70 or 75 yards easily. It will do most all that I want to do with a levergun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Apparently CNC machines are now programmed with a,
"Beat the Metal Unmercifully with The BIG Ugly Stick"
setting.

GAWD! :shock:

-Stretch
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

First thought is "you can put lipstick on a pig" , but...
Yes, it's a levergun, but....
(maybe if I wanted/needed a levergun in my jonboat, this would work 🤔)
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I was relieved when I scrolled down far enough to see they're also going to offer a traditional stock option, though I'll admit to being somewhat intrigued by the "modern" stock. What all is in there? Can opener...boot stretcher?
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Seems John Marlin's designs are the ones to clone these days...Henry, S&W, Aero, Rossi's long action, and of course Ruger.

I'm okay with the rifle but don't want one. I think it would make more sense in revolver calibers for it's purpose.
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

Good night that's "not aesthetically pleasing"!
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That must be so ugly my tablet won't open the link- says it's a corrupted link!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:55 am
J Miller wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:46 am I wouldn't own one or shoot one if it was offered to me for free with a lifetime supply of ammo.

Joe
Joe, I can’t go there! A lifetime supply of ammo?????
:mrgreen: Scott, at my age, location and condition, a lifetime supply of ammo wouldn't be much.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Eh, what ever floats yer boat. Me? I'll pass. I like my Win 94 and Marlin 1894c with ballard riffling just fine!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I hope that newfangled thing gets a huge massive following and the LGS shelves fill up with the guns I like, and then I can scoop up cheap leverguns again ! ! ! L O L
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There's more and more of these now...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... r-AA1nZrNF

'Tactical Leverguns' are certainly here to stay. Kind of like the 'Mattel Toy' AR-15 that came out in the 70's that most of us made fun of and thought of as ugly and pretty useless. Now most of us own one. I wonder if it will be the same with the 'tactical' version of leverguns. I have one, plus my 'Night Scout' modifications I've found more 'practical' than 'tactical'.

I had to laugh the other day - ordering a new stethoscope, and the medical supply house had a "tactical stethoscope" model... :shock:

It was simply one that had a matte-black finish to the bell part, and ear tubing, instead of the usual chrome plated steel. I guess it does sort of make sense. But it still sounded sort of funny.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I like it -- you guys' want to see ugly, check out the POF Tombstone - LOL

Im in the camp that would have to try the thing out before buying it, im not adventurous enough to take a leap of faith on that wild looking stock -- but my interests shift semi-annually and i try out new things

If i had an old Glenfield or something, id like to try a forend and stock like that if it were made available separately --- just couldnt bring myself to spend $1700 bucks on that one on a leap of faith --- the Stag Arms rifle in the same article looks nice -- but as has been noted - looks like another clone of a Marlin with a green laminate stock

I think the Mossberg Tactical 464 was worse than the Aero though --- that one came out too soon - if they re-introduced it now it might sell like hotcakes . I liked the Mossberg due to its Winchesterish good looks which i prefer to the Marlin and similar rifles in general. If i could find one with the weatherguard finish and green laminate on one of the auction sites i might be tempted
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:38 am .

I had to laugh the other day - ordering a new stethoscope, and the medical supply house had a "tactical stethoscope" model... :shock:
Should come with a "Boogaloo Boys" style tropical print shirt
----- Doug
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

This is as tactical as I went with a lever gun....
20240507_144105.jpg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I must admit that it evokes no strong reaction in me. The shock of such thing dissipated after the first viewing of the Mossberg offering. But, my optimistic hope is that it's offered in .32-40, sells like hotcakes at a firehouse breakfast, inducing Remington & Winchester to produce ammo & brass again!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I will never be able to look at these tactical leverguns and not get sick to my stomach.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I guess I'll post a pic of my current go-to levergun, which may look funny, but does a few things I require sometimes that the 'normal' ones cannot do.
Screenshot_20240510-220802-682.png
Some things my normal leverguns just don't do all that well, and sometimes I need a gun that is:

- able to do really fast snap-shooting if required - red-dot sight with default etched circle (a Marbles 'Bullseye' is about as fast but difficult in poor lighting).

- able to go out in pouring rain without a swollen wood stock - ugly aluminum lightweight buttstock with spare round carrier.

- able to take care of nocturnal predators without upsetting the neighbor with gunfire - threaded barrel (& suppressor).

- able to come in from soaking wet outing without having to pull the forend off to prevent magazine tube rust - ugly stainless steel vs blued, aluminum ventilated forend.

- able to hit a chicken-eating raccoon scuttling into the weeds at 50 yards, in complete darkness - light under forend, currently replaced with smaller one that includes green laser that helps discern nocturnal targets better than the red-dot sight alone, and facilitates rapid daytime shots from awkward non-shouldered positions.

None of my 'normal' leverguns come close to these things, and the lighter weight of the stock and forend is very nice. I don't think the dead possums or raccoons or whatever care of they are shot with a 'classic' or not.

Now if I'm going to sit by the fire and muse over the hunts of my youth, I'll have my grandfather's 32-20 Marlin 1889 in my lap, and probably rub a bit of linseed oil into a stock ding, maybe put a little Hoppes #9 down the barrel, and admire the patina of the old but soft steel. That gun and other walnut-and-blued-steel leverguns are not just 'guns' or 'tools', but also works of art, and the older ones are examples of craftsmanship we no longer see. I won't deny my fondness for them, but I won't pretend they can do what my 'tactical' 357 can do, either...

I know if I just want a 'tactical' (or practical) TOOL, I could just grab my AR-15 pistol in 300 Blackout, put the same suppressor on it, and have more rounds of similar-to-357-Mag ammo to deal with the barnyard predators, and it has the same kinds of sights, but I'd still rather have a levergun in my hands when going out to see why the chickens or goats are upset, even if it looks nerdy; it still won't look as nerdy as my 300 Blackout AR pistol does.... :D

Screenshot_20240510-222953-709.png

I know there are some tasks a levergun just cannot do well (half-MOA accuracy, >5,000 ft-lbs energy, >600 yard accuracy, conceal in jeans pocket, fast fifty rounds), but the relatively simple task of going out in the pouring rain at 3 a.m. to check livestock, pick off a predator or two without blinding flash or noise, come back inside, set the gun in the corner without a wipe-down, and crawl back in bed because my 16 hour workday starts in two hours, is something my 300 Blackout could do, but the brass is more expensive and would be more likely lost, and I just LIKE leverguns better. So like many others seem wont to do, I try to make a levergun do the thing I need done. And it works well, even though it looks funny. (...come to think of it, I work well, and look funny, so I can relate... :lol: )

At least my Marlin setup above doesn't look quite as bizarre as the Mossberg one, and some of the others. For those who want something not too 'offensive', the S&W and Henry offerings don't seem all that odd.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat May 11, 2024 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:32 pm . the relatively simple task of going out in the pouring rain at 3 a.m. to check livestock, pick off a predator or two without blinding flash or noise, come back inside, set the gun in the corner without a wipe-down, and crawl back in bed because my 16 hour workday starts in two hours,

The ultimate "Go On -- G'it !!! " gun
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hey Doc, good working guns there. Here's a tip about the stocks in wet weather business. All of my firearms were bedded in vaseline, the dollar-store cosmoline. The under sides of the guns look brand new. They were disassembled at the end of the hunting and logging activities, the vaseline cleaned up and replaced for the next season. I also used it inside of guns where it wouldn't freeze up the action parts in cold wx. When transporting or shipping arms in the wx I put vaseline on the exposed metal. Guarded against condensation and flooding rains . . . The guide gun is my always ready gun, and no vaseline necessary as long as I keep it near the woodstove in between outings .. .

grizz
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

More leverguns = betterer :mrgreen:
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 3:40 am Hey Doc, good working guns there. Here's a tip about the stocks in wet weather business. All of my firearms were bedded in vaseline, the dollar-store cosmoline. The under sides of the guns look brand new. They were disassembled at the end of the hunting and logging activities, the vaseline cleaned up and replaced for the next season. I also used it inside of guns where it wouldn't freeze up the action parts in cold wx. When transporting or shipping arms in the wx I put vaseline on the exposed metal. Guarded against condensation and flooding rains . . . The guide gun is my always ready gun, and no vaseline necessary as long as I keep it near the woodstove in between outings .. .

grizz
Vaseline is pretty neat stuff. I'd never known about using it on cotton balls as tinder, until a couple years ago. I use it to make hinges quiet down, too - stays put better than oil, but just smearing it on the outside of a hinge it will still usually penetrate to the squeak. I won't even get into the 'medical' things it can facilitate... :shock: :lol: