C. Gove SxS shotgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

C. Gove SxS shotgun

Post by marlinman93 »

Been working with a fella back East that I've bought old guns from before, and he sent me a message asking if I was interested in a couple more. One a Ballard Pacific #5 model in .40-63 that's pretty decent, but I already own a minty one. I'll get it anyway, just because I load for the .40-63 and he says the bore is excellent!
The other is more interesting because of the markings on it. Both side plates marked C. GOVE, and the top rib marked CARLOS GOVE DENVER, COL. STUB TWIST.
Doubt Carlos Gove ever made any SxS muzzleloader shotguns, but his Denver Armory was fairly new in the 1860's when this would have been sold there. Guessing it's going to have British, or Belgium proof marks once it arrives here and I can check the barrels.

Damascus twist barrels, and unknown gauge. Likely 12ga. or 16ga. is my guess. Seller isn't into old guns, so tough to get great details from him usually.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: C. Gove SxS shotgun

Post by GunnyMack »

If its British it could be a 9,11 or 14 ga as well. Looks like it is in good shape for its age .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:20 am If its British it could be a 9,11 or 14 ga as well. Looks like it is in good shape for its age .
Seller had someone look at it who said he thought it had Birmingham proof marks, and might be a 14 ga.

Sent his funds off today, so hoping he ships fast so I can see what markings it has. I want to load and fire it once I've looked it over and know it's safe to shoot with BP. Guessing my 2fg or 1 1/2fg powder will be OK. Just need to figure out the wad procedure and shot. I was told shot and powder should be equal by volume, and that around 80 grains of powder is a good load, followed by shot in the same measure device to equal volume.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall, that's a nice addition to your collection. I had a Belgian 14-gauge percussion twist-barrel double some years ago and enjoyed shooting it. Circle Fly wads made it a breeze.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hope you post some pictures of you shooting that ol smoke pole. :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

A friend told me the "STUB TWIST" on the rib meant the Damascus barrels were made from the stubs cut off horse shoe nails! He said they are not bad barrels, but the medium quality Damascus barrels. Supposedly the nails were often found by people and collected to sell to barrel makers. Something about the horses tromping on them was said to make the steel pre-forged and higher quality for barrel making.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Work hardened, makes sense. True or not the production of any Damascus barrel is a work of art!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

That gun looks very similar to a MacFarlane SxS 10 gauge I sold a year ago . The one I had was supposedly made in NY but the barrels had so I was told Belgium proof marks .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I will be very interested in the origins of that shotgun, having once worked in the Birmingham gun trade I have seen a lot of very old but still useable shotguns.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've been told that American gun makers in the percussion era didn't have the technology to make side by side shotgun barrels, so any made in the USA were usually fitted with barrels purchased from England or Belgium? Not sure if this is an accurate statement or not, just what one person who collects them told me.
Hope to have more info soon, but likely seller wont ship them until he has the check in hand. Was hoping since I've bought from him several times he might trust me and send it as my check headed his way. Oh well.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

They landed today, unharmed, and very quickly from East to West!

Ballard Pacific in .40-63 with a excellent bore, all original and nicer than the pictures.

Gove 14ga. shotgun. Complete with original ramrod, and in nice shape also. Birmingham proofed 1868.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Very nice :mrgreen: I guess we all know what you will be doing right now... :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Both appear in great shape! Both for their ages and for being shipped .
We are waiting for range reports... :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The Pacific will be easy since I own 5 others in the same .40-63 and one or more has to be the same groove diameter!
The shotgun appears to be almost ready to use, except one nipple is plugged. I'll try to open the hole up, and hope I don't need to replace it as I'd hate to have brand new nipples on this old shotgun. I found Track of the Wolf has over and under cards and wads for powder and shot in 14ga., so just need to find caps.
The Ballard just needs a sight change to shoot further, and no cleanup. The shotgun can use some gentle cleaning and treatment, and then it's ready to go.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

A gorgeous pair. Congrats. :mrgreen:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Have you found any proof marks on the shotgun and how does the bore look... :?:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 am Have you found any proof marks on the shotgun and how does the bore look... :?:
Yes! It has Birmingham proof marks dating to the 1860's era when the barrels were made. I was taking it to our monthly collector dinner for show & tell, so I got out my rarely used shotgun cleaning kit and gave the bores a quick cleaning. They look great, with no sign of corrosion, or pitting!
Here's the various marks under the forearm:

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's great :D it should give you years of service.
The City of Birmingham had a Gun Quarter where all the different gunsmiths had their own shops or factories. It was dying when I was a kid but I remember walking past shopwindow after shopwindow down streets full of gun shops, all my first airguns and shotguns came from there.

The Proof House opened in 1813.
11b4932d-2cdb-4350-9b27-d9e8a9f56267.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 am That's great :D it should give you years of service.
The City of Birmingham had a Gun Quarter where all the different gunsmiths had their own shops or factories. It was dying when I was a kid but I remember walking past shopwindow after shopwindow down streets full of gun shops, all my first airguns and shotguns came from there.

The Proof House opened in 1813.
11b4932d-2cdb-4350-9b27-d9e8a9f56267.jpg
Always wondered what the gun area of Birmingham looked like with a proof house so close. Thanks!