Ultra Long Range 22LR ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Ultra Long Range 22LR ammo

Post by AJMD429 »

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product ... 0167/Lapua

Over 40 cents a round, but pretty impressive…

https://youtu.be/Ok1jkp7fiic?si=voupptX8pX_Ylgm4

Any pursuit of excellence in the firearms field fascinates me.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ultra Long Range 22LR ammo

Post by GunnyMack »

Back in the 90's Federal had that newly designed LR case, had a 'primer pocket' but still a rimfire. Was supposed to be Olympic grade ammo.Then it was like 7 or 8 bucks for 50. I happened to find some of it at Kittery Trading Post in Maine, bought 3 boxes of different lots to try out of my 10/22 with a Shilen match barrel. It really liked CCI Green Tag. So more testing of this new fangled Olympic ammo turned in BIG groups instead of Green tag bug holes.
I wrote to Federal about the less than stellar performance - they sent me 2 bricks of mixed lots and none of it shot worth a hoot.
Sometimes better just isn't!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have enough fun with regular subsonic ammo and Paco's "Accurizer" (never could spell it).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

I ran across a YouTube video on testing 22lr ammo.
I don't have a link but it shouldn't be hard to find. I'll look for it and try to post a link later today.
It was almost over my head but I got the jist of it.
The guy was digging into the science of bullet stability and design of both sonic and subsonic ballistics and I found it extremely fastenating. He was explaining why seemingly strange things happened.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

I ran across a YouTube video on testing 22lr ammo.
I don't have a link but it shouldn't be hard to find. I'll look for it and try to post a link later today. I think this is it.

https://youtu.be/uMjjWdPcnXA?si=ymtGnsnNL3fLaFMB

It was almost over my head but I got the jist of it.
The guy was digging into the science of bullet stability and design of both sonic and subsonic ballistics and I found it extremely fastenating. He was explaining why seemingly strange things happened.
[/quote]
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That guy has a good channel. I'd love to have one of those Anschütz chassis rifles, but $4,000 is so far beyond my pov-line pay grade that I can't even dream about it.
Will, that Federal ammo -- was it the stuff with the dimple in the center of the case head? If so, I came in second in a 200-yard match with it out of a little CZ a couple of decades ago, but never really shot it much after that.
I can say this, at least for me -- the .22 at distance will very quickly teach you things you never knew about wind. :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes Bill, that's why I said " primer pocket" rimfire. It didn't shoot for beans out of any gun I tried them in, Rugers, Remingtons , even a 50s era 40x and a 40s vintage model 52!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:29 am I can say this, at least for me -- the .22 at distance will very quickly teach you things you never knew about wind.
and trajectory