Mystery solved or I’m not that bright

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Mystery solved or I’m not that bright

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I was washing the truck again this morning and the rear driver’s side panel has some spots of something on it. It’s really hard to clean off and I’ve been wondering for several months about what it could possibly be because I’m not parked under a tree and it’s only on that quarter panel.

Turns out that the residue is blue. From shooting my sixgun across the bed where I put my chronograph!!!!

It’s bullet lube.
JimT
Shootist

Re: Mystery solved or I’m not that bright

Post by JimT »

I was shooting my 454 across the hood of my Scout. Later I noticed some marks on the hood. First noticed was the black burned area and second were the chips in the paint where the butt had contacted hood more than a couple times. :shock:
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:46 pm I was washing the truck again this morning and the rear driver’s side panel has some spots of something on it. It’s really hard to clean off and I’ve been wondering for several months about what it could possibly be .....................
snoose! :mrgreen:
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I remember my dad’s 79 Ford having powder burns on the oxidized gray hood from shooting his 25-06 across it
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Talk about not being so bright. About 50 years ago I was shooting a scoped rifle across the roof of my car. I could see my target clearly but when I shot I didn't see the bullet impact. Yep, line of sight was perfect....bullet path not so much. It ripped a long hole through the roof, the bullet bounced off the inside of the rear window, went through the seat. I laughed so hard I fell down. No harm done...it was an old car.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

The defrost control in my truck was stuck and wouldn't move over to the floor/heater position. When it finally broke loose it dumped a pile of .22LR hulls on the floor like a slot machine. It was then that I remembered the rainy day I spent shooting a 1022 out the window, oblivious to the empties skidding across the dash and down the defrost ducts...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

All of the above demonstrate why I don't shoot over, under or out of my car/truck... Not because I'm all that bright... just cognizant that Murphy was an optimist! Although as part of our firearms training we had to demonstrate that we could do so from a squad car... shotgun & handguns.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Walt----you are not alone my brother, you are not alone!!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Guy I went to school with put together a very beautiful 7mag, full octagon bbl, gorgeous hunk of walnut. We were out on one of the local ranches shooting prairie dogs and here comes Kevin. He sets up a target at 100 paces but the lay of the land he couldn't see the cardboard box from across the hood of his car. He repositions the car and climbs on the trunk onto the roof to shoot prone off bags. His first shot fractured the windshield, the second and 3rd actually knocked glass loose from the lamination. The barrel had a slotted muzzle break and all we could figure was the verticle slots acted like miniature cutting torches.
Sadly we didn't notice until after he shot multiple times.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I had been feeding the cows one Spring and as I pulled out of the pasture I saw a big turtle sitting on a rock in the pond below me. I grabbed my .32-20 Marlin and got out, went back and leaned over the bed with rifle, shooting across the bed. I had the sights right on the turtle at about 40 yards when I pulled the trigger. I was somewhat perplexed because there was no bullet strike in the water and the bed of my truck was going "whaaaang" .... I looked across the bed and there in the other side of the bed, about an inch down from the top, was a .30 caliber hole.

As Max on Get Smart used to say .. "Missed it by THAT much!"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:28 pm "Murphy was an optimist"
Oh, I need to steal that quote! :lol:
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:46 pm Turns out that the residue is blue. From shooting my sixgun across the bed...
It could be much worse... :wink:
Bullet Car.jpg
Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Old No7 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:54 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:46 pm Turns out that the residue is blue. From shooting my sixgun across the bed...
It could be much worse... :wink:

Bullet Car.jpg

Old No7
Bonnie and Clydes car?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I wasn't going to bring this up but ol #7 breached the subject.
Buddy of mines brother was in the Army, before he went in he bought a 67 F100 he was planning to restore after his hitch was up.
It started by shooting at the mirrors from long range with 22s, that evolved into high power stuff, shotguns and black powder.
We shot just about every square inch of that truck, thousands of rounds!
When the brother got home from Germany just before Gulf1 he saw his truck, cried then laughed and joined in on the shooting.
Eventually it was time to make it go away, trackhoe to pick it up on a trailer, it fell apart so a hole was dug and it was buried.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Fortunately all I did was get bullet lube in my paint.

I can use a tarp to prevent thus in the future.

Any ideas how to get it he lube off without damaging the paint?
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Try a powerful water-based degreaser like Dawn dishwashing soap first. I have often just used brake cleaner for tough tar spots on my truck, flushed with water and then re-applied wax. No harm done.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Maybe try rubbing alcohol? Heck even wd40 is good at removing adhesives, Hoppes works too plus it smells good!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:11 am Fortunately all I did was get bullet lube in my paint.

I can use a tarp to prevent thus in the future.

Any ideas how to get it he lube off without damaging the paint?
I'd grab a can of WD-40 and some good quality paper towels, the kind you can rinse out and keep using. Moisten the towel with the WD-40 and gently rub the spots, should come right off. Follow up with a good car wash liquid and wax.

Also, they sell "tar remover" for cleaning up paint jobs after driving around new road work. That'd probably work just as well on the bullet lube and it's designed to work fine with vehicle paint.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I think the tar removers are generally just kerosene in a can.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

jeepnik wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:23 pm Bonnie and Clydes car?
Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:11 am Any ideas how to get it he lube off without damaging the paint?
Low heat from a blow dryer might help to soften it, to let any of the solvents work better.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Those big Keith bullets throw off a lot of lube.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Had a Mystery one time, took a shot at a coyote over the hood of my pickup with my trusty 375 H#H
well the coyote took off at 90 mph, how to heck did i miss him so bad i didnt even see the bullet hit
looked at hood of pickup & Mystery solved!!

ollogger