New to me 1886 help!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Guide89
Levergunner

New to me 1886 help!

Post by Guide89 »

Hello, newbie 1886 owner here...
I have a Takedown 33WCF made in 1920 and have a couple questions.

Is the magazine plug missing the lever or is this a factory option?

What would the correct original rear sight be? There's a few different ones on used gun part website .

And is the firing pin supposed to slide back and forth and "rattle" a little? Is something missing like a spring or is this the nature of a one piece firing pin lever action?

Thanks!
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New to me 1886 help!

Post by Drawdown »

I can't help you, but I'm sure you'll find help coming here! But I can brag, and I was just admiring a BB94 in 356win on here. And I stated there's a few other old levers I'd like to have. One being an 86, but I didn't define which. Low and behold you posted it in what for me be my most desirable Mod 86. A 33wcf in that exact configuration!
But it sure a lovely rifle, good luck getting it in gear!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Welcome to the fire! I don't know the answer to your question but, that sure is a nice rifle there.

JBowen
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

Howdy, and welcome.

I am no expert, but I have a new 1886 and a new 1892, and I've been researching the guns and the takedown system as a result.

This picture is from my new 1892, but they used this system on 1886s, 1892s, and 1894s.

I'd say a gunsmith removed the takedown lever and knurled the end.

As for rear sights, anything that the customer wanted would be substituted in place of the standard, which was called the Sporting Rear sight and was semi-buckhorn.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
33wcfshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 33wcfshooter »

Looks like your missing the magazine takedown lever/cap assembly. As for sights Winchester offered a couple of different options (24A seems to be on most but they offered marbles,king,sheard, etc) so might be worth contacting Cody (cody firearms museum) they have the winchester records and can look up your serial # and tell you which sight your rifle shipped with. The firing pins on original 86s don't have springs so they kinda rattle back and forth a little when the hammer is back but the ejector keeps the pin back until the action locks up so there shouldn't be much when the action is open. The 33 WCF is a great cartridge doesn't kick very bad but has quite a lot of power. Hope this helps.
Guide89
Levergunner

Post by Guide89 »

Thanks everyone!
I did email the Cody Museum and unfortunately my rifle falls just outside their serial number records. It did have a vintage Lyman 66 that was slightly damaged from being dropped that I'm going to try to repair it and use. I'll probably leave the magazine tube along if it doesn't work loose with the recoil.
I'm hoping to take a couple whitetail with it this fall if it shoots well, the bore is in excellent condition, it must have not been shot much.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the campfire Guide89... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:42 pm Welcome to the campfire Guide89... :D
+1

And cool levergun! 8)
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

Agreed, Very cool old gun!

Lead Alloy Calculator
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

are any of you familiar with the Chiappa 1886 deluxe with 26 inch barrel, in 45-70. Have a chance to get one at a pretty fair price. How does it compare with the other 1886's out there?
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

I have a friend that post about one over on castboolits. He had a problem with his. I don't think he ever sent it back to Chiappa to be resolved.

An older thread and his videos are down, but still, it might be information you'd like to know.
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showth ... ly-experts

Lead Alloy Calculator