Guns of the Old West

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Guns of the Old West

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I write very few checks anymore, but one of the ones I did write back in December was to renew my subscription of "Guns of the Old West" magazine. It's been driving me crazy that they haven't cashed it (I catch it each week when I balance my checkbook, and yes - I still do that manually!). So I called them today to see if it got lost in the mail. Nope - they will be returning it. Athlon Outdoors, the publisher of the magazine, is going out of business. This happened before to GOTOW, and Athlon saved them. I asked, but there are no buyers for this magazine this time.

I hope it gets picked up by someone. This is the only magazine I truly read cover to cover. :(
JimT
Shootist

Re: Guns of the Old West

Post by JimT »

I got my last copy in December and learned then there will be no more. Sad day. It ain't the only thing In America that is disappearing.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I’m sorry to hear this. I bought issues from time to time. I wonder if it is related to the decline of cowboy action shooting.
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

I've never checked it out. Sad to hear though, it sounds like it would have been very interesting.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have read a few copies courtesy of OldNo7 thanks Darryl :) it's a shame if that magazine disappears it was full of historic details on "real guns" I guess the generation of "Gun smoke" fans is slowly dieing out... :(
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

I really enjoyed that magazine, and am sorry to see them go.
I had a subscription to AMERICAN GUNSMITH, magazine, and they too went out of business.
How many more are going... is sad to see
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It’s all about taking the energy to open the pages and read and the liberals decision to have a paper free society. Young folks just don’t open books anymore the way we did…..The kids are taught that people cut down lots of trees to make paper….Just the other the other day Home Depot asked me if I wanted a printed receipt or have it sent to my e mail. I told them for $10, I would as Home Depot righteously make a profit for their sweat and toil and I want the same from them.

As for Guns of the Old West, I loved it but after years I guess they are running out of things to write about. That and the old timers who like the old guns are dying off.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I have every copy from about the last 15 years. Sad days
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

It's true that people on a whole don't read anymore. And those that do read a little usually skim. I know people for the most part don't like to read articles that are very long. And picking up a book and reading it is a dying art. I have people every once in awhile ask me to teach them to reload. I point them to loading manuals and tell 'em to buy 3 or 4 and read them from cover to cover. Then we will begin. So far no one has followed through. More than a couple have told me they just want to learn "the steps to follow" in order to reload. -sigh- :(
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I received my winter edition but, received no notice of going out of business.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Except for tabloid type magazines that seem to appeal mostly to women magazines, like much printed material is slowly dying off. My kids, who aren't exactly young anymore read what they want online. I suspect that in a couple of generations the printed media will be just about extinct.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JMick
Levergunner

Post by JMick »

I like paper! It must be a tactile thing. I can usually be within a few pages of where something is in a book that I want to go back and read.
Digital probably not.

Online articles sometimes seem to disappear never to be found again even after much searching.
Lot's of knowledge is being lost.
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

Lots of talk of younger folks that are not into the older guns...well, myself is a younger folk, and I like the old stuff, and my boy, well... he can't help but have the itch too, he's a levergun nut at 4 years old. I prefer paper books rather than internet pages.

Lead Alloy Calculator
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

JimT wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:37 pm It's true that people on a whole don't read anymore. And those that do read a little usually skim. I know people for the most part don't like to read articles that are very long. And picking up a book and reading it is a dying art. I have people every once in awhile ask me to teach them to reload. I point them to loading manuals and tell 'em to buy 3 or 4 and read them from cover to cover. Then we will begin. So far no one has followed through. More than a couple have told me they just want to learn "the steps to follow" in order to reload. -sigh- :(

Hey Jim…..yes, people will only read short 5 paragraph articles….thats most likely because they are in a rush to get back to their phones.

I’ve been saying for quite some time that computers have changed the world…..mostly for the good but there’s always that percentage of people who take the easy road and use computers for nefarious and or lazy reasons. These people walk (when they do walk) around with an “Easy Button” velcroed to their head. For the ones on the top of the fence they gravitate towards the easier side. I’ve always believed the hardest way to accomplish something is the best way……I prefer to shift gears with a clutch

Another thing I’ve noticed…no one drives around with their elbows out the windows. Air conditioning, power steering, navigation tools and USB ports are standard equipment in cars today. I still don’t have a cell phone, credit card and use the sun or common sense to find a place while driving. But I don’t even do that anymore….driving….

When I was younger..60’s-80’s……you could drive down the road and 9 times out of 10 there would be people out in their yards…..around here I’m the only person who can be seen regularly outside.

Glad I was born when I was.——-006
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I drive with my window down and elbow out ... my truck is nothing power. Hand cranked windows. Stick shift. Gotta turn the lights on yourself if you want them. They don't dim unless you do it. I do have a cell phone. An old flip phone that has no GPS or games. It makes calls and receives calls. It can text .. slowly and with difficulty. It is a concession to my kids and grandkids. I wouldn't hear much from them otherwise. And they like to check once in awhile and see if I am still alive. :lol:
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Yep, elbows hanging out of my open car window is something from earlier times, that many of us grew up with.....460 air conditioning ; 4 windows down at 60 mph.
Unfortunately, my hearing aids pick up all of the air moving through the cab, so I take them out, crank up the tunes.
.......still drink out of the garden hose too.
(I still carry jumper cables in my car :wink: )
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

even though my truck is electric everything , doors, windows, 4x4, ac, heater, I still drive with my windows down, elbow hanging out the window, listening to my cd I recorded my self, as the radio does not play the music I like, and grew up with.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

I have jumper cables in both my wifes car and my truck, still haul stuff in my truck bed, after all trucks are for using, not for family stuff, unless traveling, grew up around farms and ranches, and we all had trucks
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Speaking of the decline in reading printed material, as I walk around my neighborhood I notice that newspapers are getting smaller and smaller, based on what I see rolled up in driveways. They are a mere shadow of what they were 20 years ago. It's a wonder that the local newspaper is even in business any more. I imagine that the ad revenue that kept the newspaper going for all those years is being spent on internet ads now.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Walt wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm Speaking of the decline in reading printed material, as I walk around my neighborhood I notice that newspapers are getting smaller and smaller, based on what I see rolled up in driveways. They are a mere shadow of what they were 20 years ago. It's a wonder that the local newspaper is even in business any more. I imagine that the ad revenue that kept the newspaper going for all those years is being spent on internet ads now.
You actually have neighbors that still receive newspapers? I haven't seen one in anyone's yard in years.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

We have a local paper that you can get a paper from. I don't get one, and I don't know anyone that does.

Lead Alloy Calculator
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Remember years ago if the phone rang and no one was home you didn’t know that anyone called so you went about your everyday business without a care that you missed a call.Then the answering machine was invented so if someone called you would know then you could back to them when you have time.Back then a phone was just a phone not the device we have now where people walk around with a death grip on a phone.Now it s a piece of technology that has taken over the lives of most people .Even some of the bums on the street still have cell phones.As good as cell phones and computers are I think sometimes we be in a better world if they hadn’t of been invented
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I have an answering machine however, 99.9999% of the time I am out and about I do not carry my flip phone with me! I enjoy the disconnect !!!! Though I used to not take a phone camping, I have gotten soft and feel mortal in my old age and usually take a phone in my camping, if you can call a 5th wheel trailer camping. I just have gotten to be a big old sissy anymore :oops:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

On the good side though is the fact that cell phones are bad for criminals as it gets them caught by the police in a lot of cases.Most forget or don t know that your actions can traced and your messages and searches can be found out by the cops even if they have been deleted
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Dang!

This is NOT good news at all…

Just like “The Kid”, it is one of the few magazines that I read cover-to-cover.

As for my buddy John across the pond, I have a few more older issues saved up that I will send to you.

** Posted from a beach house in The Bahamas. **

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH