45 ACP Loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

45 ACP Loads

Post by samsi »

Rather than derail JimT's 44 Special thread I'm starting this one.

Back when I started reloading I initially learned on the 45ACP. Having read everything I came across by Jeff Cooper (in addition to Skelton and Keith) I had some ideas about load performance and (I thought) fairly realistic expectations. My first foray was with Unique and a batch of 200SWC's I'd gotten from a coworker who was a Bullseye shooter. I proposed starting at 5.5 grains and he thought that seemed a little warm, but Lyman said the max was 7.5 so I pressed on. The 5.5 Unique load functioned, though compared to the hardball I had been shooting the recoil and slide cycle felt slow. I upped the charge to 6.5 and everything worked well. I proceeded use that load for range and field the next 10 years or so. Consistent, reliable and ground squirrel accurate out to 25 yards or so. I've never clocked it but suspect it's north of 1000 fps, as a load with 7 grains of Power Pistol runs a solid 950 and has less felt recoil and muzzle flip.

All was well until I began dabbling in IPSC and started getting comments about the "smoking locomotive gun", "half-step removed from black powder" and "gee, that load seems kinda hot". It was pretty spunky, so in an effort to speed up and be more competitive I switched to the 5.5 W231 a lot of guys were using. I've competed only sporadically for the last 20 years but have stuck with the W231 load all that time. Recently I thought "gee, this load is too easy to shoot, wonder how I would do with the old Unique load?" I loaded up a batch and discovered that 30 years on I don't handle it so well anymore and it is a bit sporty. Thinking the rest of these will be relegated to field use.

So knowing there are a few 1911 aficionados around here, what are your favorite 45 Auto field or range loads?
JimT
Shootist

Re: 45 ACP Loads

Post by JimT »

With a select powder it is possible to run a 230 gr. hardball to 1150 fps and not exceed SAAMI pressures. That loading will beat an autoloader loose so it is NOT recommended or suggested for practice, target shooting or plinking.

I normally load 230 gr. hardball or 230 gr. cast flatpoint for carry loads.
The cast flatpoint is loaded to 1030 fps.
11.JPG
1911 ATI.JPG
IMG_5575a.jpg
IMG_5678.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I too started with the .45 acp. I have a load that functions in all of my pistols and revolvers. It’s more accurate than I am and has been used on everything from cans to coyotes, effectively.

A 200 gr LSWC, 4.7 grains of Bullseye. Brand of primer and case doesn’t seem to matter.

I’ve been using it exclusively for years in this caliber.

Now some will say there’s better loads. But I am not really an experimenter. I find a load that works and stick with that. Truth is in every case they are more accurate off the bench than I am on my hind legs. If I miss it’s not the gun or ammunition.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

With bullets similar to JimT's, my favorite load has been 4.8 grains of Bullseye. Potent enough for trail gun use, accurate and not abusive.
When I was competing in IDPA, I found that 3.8 grains were reliable enough in my Colts to cycle the pistols reliably and accuracy was more that good enough for the IDPA silhouette targets.

A 185 gr. Jacketed SWC and 4.5 grains of Bullseye through my National Match will produce five shot groups that look like one big hole at 20 yds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

While I started my handloading with the 44Mag & .30-30, it wasn't very long before I was loading for the 45ACP. Mainly for my Combat Commander. I started with the Speer "Flying Ashtray" (200 grain JHP), 6 grains of Unique and never felt underpowered. QuickLoad calculates that load to run 810 fps from the 4-¼ bbl. in the Commander. But, eventually I moved up to 6.5 grains for 868 fps. In a 5" Gov't Mdl it runs about 910 fps. Most of my shooting lately has been with the Gov't Mdl in Wild Bunch matches & I'm loading 4.3 grains of Red Dot over a cast 200 RFN meant for the 45 Colt and it runs about 844 fps according to QL. This load gives me nice clover leaf groups at 25 yard right at my point of aim with the larger aftermarket sights on my 5" 1911 Taylor Tactical pistol I won at a match about 10 years ago.
DSCN1578[2].JPG
I liked it so much that I bought an identical pistol to have a backup... just in case! I had the same sights installed and tuned by my son...
DSCN1580[1].JPG
Both run flawlessly, in fact, in the whole time I've had them I've only had a couple of fail to feed issues, and each time, it's on me. Which reminds me... I need to load some ammo...
IMG_0894.JPG
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

5.5 gr 231 under a H&G 68 200 gr bullet is probably the load that I have shot the most of over the years. It made major in a 5 inch Government Model and was easy on the gun and shooter.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Well I will throw my 45 acp load in to kicks 8)
185 gr copper plated 5.0 grs of WST and cronos right at 1050 fps. Does not feel real warm but I will take the numbers. Plus it is very accurate.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Thanks for all the replies. I was going to do some shooting today to see if I could do better with the Unique load, but the weather has other ideas - blowing 30+ mph with a bit of rain now and again.

Jim, I've used that 230FP as well and been impressed with the accuracy, although I'm only pushing it at about 880 f/s.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

samsi wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:16 pm Thanks for all the replies. I was going to do some shooting today to see if I could do better with the Unique load, but the weather has other ideas - blowing 30+ mph with a bit of rain now and again.

Jim, I've used that 230FP as well and been impressed with the accuracy, although I'm only pushing it at about 880 f/s.
It'll do most everything you need it to do at that velocity.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

JimT wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:21 pm
It'll do most everything you need it to do at that velocity.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same. Pretty close to traditional 45 Colt performance and that's what the ACP was supposed to be.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I started loading 45acp when I got my Dillon 550. I casted the Lyman 195gr TC and loaded it over 5.5gr of Unique. It shot well for me across several pistols. Then I switched to 230gr plated and kept the same load. Again, I've had good results. When my stick is gone I will probably go to 230gr coated. Yup.....I'm going to use the same load.
I have a lot of Unique and a lot I use it in. As long as I get decent results I usually go with it. It's the only powder I buy in 8lb cans. Most all my range ammo is loaded with it.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I load 7 grains of unique under a 200 grain cast for Wild Bunch Action shooting. It chronos at an average of 830 fps out of the 3 1911's I may use. Actually, I keep the powder measure set at 7 grains unique as I can load 45acp, 44 magnum, 44 special. 44-40 or 45 Colt with that same powder charge. I have found less powder and I can get ignition problems when the temps are in the 30's or 40's.
I like the fact that I am using an almost full power load and it conditions me to 'normal' recoil. Many use what are call mouse f$rt loads. Now the governing parties have allowed 9mm, so pretty much ruining the level competition for most of us. The 'gamers' will thrive. Well, I shoot for fun anyway.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well... reading this post and looking at my stash of 45 ACP, I got inspired... loaded up a new unopened box of that 200 grain cowboy bullet from Missouri bullet, took well over 500 primers to do it! You can't see it in that photo of the GI can, but it was pretty corroded, so I emptied it out, sanded down the inside and painted it with a rubberized coating. Should be sealed up pretty good now! BTW, 500 rounds or so of 45 ACP w/200 grain bullets weighs in at 24-¾ lbs. And my shoulder feels it! :)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

My basic 45 ACP load uses the 230 grain Jeff Cooper bullet, from Bear Creek, over 5.4 grains of 231 for around 840 fps and excellent accuracy from any good 45, round or flat. One dose leaves garden marauders literally DRT and I wouldn't worry about using it on anything bigger.

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I shot my S&W 745 in Bullseye 2400 matches for the .45 stage, and I was going for less velocity instead of more so I could get back on target quicker. I found a load at 650 fps was great, and still sealed the chamber, but it didn't cycle reliably. I called S&W to ask if they by chance sold lighter recoil springs, and the tach told me he'd send me a kit of 4 springs to try for FREE! Once I found the right spring to allow perfect cycling, but not beat the frame, the light .45ACP loads made shooting quickly in rapid and timed fire stages, and were a lot of fun to plink with too!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

samsi wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:16 pmI was going to do some shooting today to see if I could do better with the Unique load, but the weather has other ideas - blowing 30+ mph with a bit of rain now and again.
That's the kind of weather I prefer for shootin' pistols; I can always blame the wind for me missin'....

(...course people don't believe me when I use that excuse and we're at the indoor range... :lol: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

It's 5.0 gr of Bullseye behind an RCBS 45-201 cast bullet for me. Shoots well and doesn't beat up my guns.