went to a shooting range yesterday

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

went to a shooting range yesterday

Post by Grizz »

I mentioned this project somewhere, found a real gunsmith and took the American Classic to him with a box of parts. I got the barrel from Sarco, the sear spring somewhere else, he sourced the 24# recoil spring and the barrel bushing which he hand fitted, he machined out the clearance for the recoil stop, and did some barrel fitting. I asked if there was a range around and it was a 5 minute drive. I had a mag with ACP hardball and a mag with hollow point loads, some double-tap and others, 185gr.

Gunsmith said that he didn't know if the gun would cycle the ACP loads with the 45 Super spring in it. It was perfect with brand new mags and no problems, EXCEPT with the mess around the "9". Been trying to think up a good excuse, but remembered I'm not supposed to. :lol:
4_1911 45 Super 1st shots with ACP ammo.jpeg
4_1911_45 Super American Classic.jpeg
I wonder if I could put a front sight on the barrel, seems like an improvement. I like this setup so much that I am thinking of putting a 10 inch barrel on. Really.
before any other work i plan to chrono the 45 Super loads out of both barrels to assess the potential. The ammo I will be using is Underwood 255 gr hc at 1070, and 185 gr hollow points at 1300. Then I will start reloading with the saved brass. That's the plan anyhow. You can see the ballistics on the Underwood site. That 255 went through 64 inches of gel, I want to try pine boards and firewood to see how they hold up. For now it's my hunting pistol if I ever go hunting again. Son has a pig problem and hopes I can help him out. 8)

Oh P.S. ->
HOME_Marriage is of the LORD.png
-> :)

† grizz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.