The Last Outlaw movie review

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

The Last Outlaw movie review

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

An interesting story with some unusual stars.

But it kills me that they didn’t teach the actors how to actually use a Sharps rifle!

But the takeaway lesson is to count your bullets!
JimT
Shootist

Re: The Last Outlaw movie review

Post by JimT »

It bothers me when movies don't get it right. I was looking at one the other day ... supposedly in 1869 .. but they were using Colt Peacemakers and 1892 Winchesters ... -sigh-
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I find it funny that some well known Western actors look like they have never fired a rifle or a revolver in their lives... :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:04 am I find it funny that some well known Western actors look like they have never fired a rifle or a revolver in their lives... :roll:
It's even funnier watching them on a horse.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Scott, it sounds like they needed to hire Mike Venturino to coach them on shooting single shots. He worked with Tom Selleck on "Quigley Down Under." 8)
I can handle Sharps rifles and revolvers fine. But I stay well hidden when seated on a horse, as it is just too hilarious a show. :lol:
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

The riding thing makes me nuts. You can immediately tell who has ridden a horse regularly and who has not. My wife gets mad at me for yelling at the TV
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

wvfarrier wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:05 am My wife gets mad at me for yelling at the TV
I have shot mine in my younger days.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:03 amI can handle Sharps rifles and revolvers fine. But I stay well hidden when seated on a horse, as it is just too hilarious a show. :lol:
I don't have to stay hidden.....I'll fall off the horse pretty quickly and be down in the grass anyway... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I could never be in a western, im deathly allergic to horses! Besides they don't have a break pedal!!

Growing up it was my Dad yelling at the TV with aviation screwups then I started doing the same with gun stuff.

And I too have shot a TV! :lol: ( I got the bad guy )
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Many actors used to train so they would look good on a horse. That’s because there used to be a lot of people who actually worked on a horse and knew the difference.

Burt Lancaster showed how to use a Sharps in “Valdez is Coming”

Tom Selleck did a great job in “Quigley Down Under.”

But the actors did a very poor job of it in this movie
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Anymore, there is really no excuse for that. Using non-period correct firearms is a big turn off for me now. And even when they do use period-correct firearms, they usually give them powers and abilities that no firearm actually has. May seem harmless, but this is why half the population thinks "silencers" make no sound whatsoever when used, every gun can shoot 20 rounds without reloading, and your little .22 will pick a man off his feet and throw him backwards 12 feet, leaving a hole the size of a watermelon in the guys chest. :roll: Then these same idiots demand gun control based on all these inaccuracies. :evil:

Given the budget of most movies, and what they pay the "actors" (I use that term loosely), there is no excuse that they can't use the correct arms, used correctly and accurately, and actual hire knowledgeable experts to ensure accuracy. Well, no excuse but it would offend their massive egos.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

My solution to that is to avoid TVs and to never go to movies. I have no reason to watch people pretending to be someone they're not.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:03 amScott, it sounds like they needed to hire Mike Venturino to coach them on shooting single shots. He worked with Tom Selleck on "Quigley Down Under." 8)
ISTR that Mike told me it was Steve Garbe who coached Tom Selleck.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Walt wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:33 pm My solution to that is to avoid TVs and to never go to movies. I have no reason to watch people pretending to be someone they're not.
I’ve got nothing against actors or any other legitimate profession.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Well, no offense meant to anyone...

I watched The Last Outlaw movie last night.

If it was not the worst movie I have ever seen, it was in the top 2 or 3.

Like my Dad used to say...."They got up and made that movie before breakfast".
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I've got nothing against the ones that aren't super egotistical leftists that spend their time preaching from a soapbox either but I give them neither my attention nor my money.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Pardon me for dropping another movie, how about The CowBOYS? Half the kids were actors and the other half had grown up on ranches! Had to spend months learning to ride and act. THEN they had to learn to shoot. AND they had to deal with Bruce Dern! :mrgreen:
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:19 am But it kills me that they didn’t teach the actors how to actually use a Sharps rifle!

But the takeaway lesson is to count your bullets!
Um, it doesn't get any easier than with a Sharps....

"One and done!" :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I saw The Last Outlaw a number of years ago. And I agree with everyone's assessments. But there WAS one thing from that movie that I do remember well and think about often. And that is the shear number and variety of cartridges and calibers that were used in those days. That would be a Supply Sargeant's nightmare. Now in the movie the actors never really matched a cartridge with the job at hand. They seemed to use whatever whenever. But obviously that group would have benefited from a little standardization.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

There was apparently a great number of different cartridges which must have caused a logistical nightmare.

One of the raiders from Pancho Villa’s gang was carrying on the Columbus New Mexico raid was a Winchester 94 carbine chambered in .25-35. It is displayed on the wall of the train station.

I imagine that.25-35 shells would have been difficult to come by in war ravaged northern Mexico in those days.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

JimT wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:10 am
gamekeeper wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:04 am I find it funny that some well known Western actors look like they have never fired a rifle or a revolver in their lives... :roll:
It's even funnier watching them on a horse.
There is a big big difference in watching Western Movie Actors from the 50s and such who could actually ride compared to the ones from today who most can't.

When I watch actors such as Audie Murphy, Kirk Douglas, Ben Johnson and others who could really really ride I am always impressed.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Walt wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:33 pm My solution to that is to avoid TVs and to never go to movies. I have no reason to watch people pretending to be someone they're not.
you are Much More disciplined than I am :) although I don't go to movies. although i might make an exception for one last drive in flick . . .