Nickel brass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Nickel brass

Post by 4t5 »

Is there a benefit to nickel , other than being able to separate different loads visually ?
Rumble.com/ hickock45
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Nickel brass

Post by 44shooter »

Its main benefit is corrosion resistance
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

4t5 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:26 am Is there a benefit to nickel , other than being able to separate different loads visually ?
are nickel and steel cases hard on chamber throats compared to brass?
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

rossim92 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:22 am
4t5 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:26 am Is there a benefit to nickel , other than being able to separate different loads visually ?
are nickel and steel cases hard on chamber throats compared to brass?
No. They never enter the throat, and pose no problem for the throat or the rest of the chamber.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I've also found that they clean up much easier than brass and as the nickel plating is smoother, they slide into the resizer easier than my brass ones.

In addition, I use nickel brass to separate my lighter SA pistol loads from my levergun loads of the same caliber.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

While it's not been my experience, many folks say that nickel cases are more brittle than brass and crack sooner. I still have many nickel .38 Spl cases from the 60s, 70s & 80s that have been reloaded dozens of time without any hint of cracking... many have been resized so many times that the nickel is wearing off the outside of the case!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I had some nickel plated 44 Special cases that split resizing after the first reload. Don't recall the make, Federal maybe. On the other hand I've got nickel 38 Spl cases like Griff's that have been reloaded many times with the plating wearing through.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I think over the years I have had better than a half dozen case head separations in 38 or 357 cases. These were always nickeled cases even though over half my cases are plain brass. And they were always in the rifle, never in the revolver even though by far most of my 38/357 shooting has been with the revolver. A few years ago I disposed of all my nickeled 38 cases because at that time I'd never had the head separation happen with a 357 case. Since then I had one nickeled 357 case do a separation (again in the rifle). Now the rifle only gets fired with 357 brass cases. It's a Rossi rifle and appears to have a very nice, non-bulgy chamber.

Those are my "observed facts" though I don't pretend to understand 'em.

Oh yeah -- the separated piece has so far always come right on out easily enough. And these were range pick-up cases reloaded some unrecorded multiple times.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

COSteve wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:51 am I've also found that they clean up much easier than brass and as the nickel plating is smoother, they slide into the resizer easier than my brass ones.
+1
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Thanks guys !
Gonna get some to separate loads .
Rumble.com/ hickock45
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

For many years I used Remington nickel plated cases for the 7mm-08 , 7x57 , 280 REM and 7mm REM MAG with no ill effects . Later I got a real good deal on 500 unfired Remington nickel plated 444 cases that also did well .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I use them interchangeably in my revolvers and leverguns. No issues.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

While on the subject of Nickel brass, has any company ever made 50 Alaskan in Nickel?
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

earlmck wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:20 pm I think over the years I have had better than a half dozen case head separations in 38 or 357 cases. These were always nickeled cases even though over half my cases are plain brass. And they were always in the rifle, never in the revolver even though by far most of my 38/357 shooting has been with the revolver. A few years ago I disposed of all my nickeled 38 cases because at that time I'd never had the head separation happen with a 357 case. Since then I had one nickeled 357 case do a separation (again in the rifle). Now the rifle only gets fired with 357 brass cases. It's a Rossi rifle and appears to have a very nice, non-bulgy chamber.

Those are my "observed facts" though I don't pretend to understand 'em.

Oh yeah -- the separated piece has so far always come right on out easily enough. And these were range pick-up cases reloaded some unrecorded multiple times.
Nickle actually grips the chamber wall more aggressively than brass. Possibly contributing to head separations if head space is on the maximum side of acceptable.
Last edited by 765x53 on Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Griff wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:53 am While it's not been my experience, many folks say that nickel cases are more brittle than brass and crack sooner. I still have many nickel .38 Spl cases from the 60s, 70s & 80s that have been reloaded dozens of time without any hint of cracking... many have been resized so many times that the nickel is wearing off the outside of the case!
That's been my experience with nickel cases as well. As to brittle cases, the only time that's ever happened to me was with new Starline .357mag brass that split in middle of the case longitudinally after the very first firing. I called Starline CS and they stated that they'd had a few runs of brittle brass and I must have gotten one.

I asked if they'd consider a discount or something for replacements and they essentially said, "Sorry, you're out of luck." so, I scrapped the rest of my Starline brass and will never buy any more. A company who won't stand behind their defective products will not get my business.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

If you put brass cases in the loops of your leather belt and do not remove them, you get green crud all over the cases and the leather loop. If you use nickel cases, you have a nice looking belt with pretty ammo. I also think (subjectively) it feeds smoother. Another benefit not mentioned is that when you extract it after a shot hunting and it hits the ground, it is much easier to find that a brass case.