crowd funding the gospel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

crowd funding the gospel

Post by Grizz »

https://jashow.org/the-john-ankerberg-show/

I have mentioned this before, but right now there is a very heart-warming feel-good video with one of the most amazing men in the world doing the most amazing thing in the world. I want you to see this video, because the results of the Good News everywhere but the 'western civ' are amazing beyond words. I would like you to hear for yourself what the results are and what the process is. . . . whether you participate or not isn't as important as knowing that the rotten egg smell we get every day from what we see and hear IS NOT HAPPENING on the other continents where there is no electricity. This is diametrically opposed to what is happening to our culture.

It is easy to partner up with these ministries and provide something for someone somewhere we can't go. Jesus calls it "laying up our treasure in heaven".

Blessings, the grizz family
JimT
Shootist

Re: crowd funding the gospel

Post by JimT »

We used the audio Bibles a lot in Mozambique and my friends there still are giving them out. When I was there the government admitted at least 45% of the country was illiterate. I knew a lot of Mozambicans that could not read or write, including pastors and evangelists. They loved the audio Bibles. The ones we gave out had a built-in solar charger because most of the folks had no electricity to plug them in to recharge. Solar was the way to go.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:17 am We used the audio Bibles a lot in Mozambique and my friends there still are giving them out. When I was there the government admitted at least 45% of the country was illiterate. I knew a lot of Mozambicans that could not read or write, including pastors and evangelists. They loved the audio Bibles. The ones we gave out had a built-in solar charger because most of the folks had no electricity to plug them in to recharge. Solar was the way to go.
Thanks Jim. That is a great gift to the peoples. How many language groups were in your area? Funny thing is that we think literacy is the needful thing, but it's the greatest barrier to the gospel. The oral language groups SEE what they hear, and the scenes of the narratives are more real to their culture than to ours. Not many people that I've run into see the English bible as cinematic, but it is exactly like a movie if we listen for it.

In northern Baja, Mx people living in pallet board shacks are literate in Spanish and they love getting bibles. But there was not the mix of indigenous languages as there is throughout the country in other areas and throughout south america. That is where the native speaker recording scripture in the heart language is so powerful. I appreciate and value that work more and more.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The Official State language is Portuguese. There are 26 or 27 tribal languages. The area where I was had 2 predominant ones.

What we have written in the Bible was passed orally for a long time before it began being written down ... at least great parts of it were. The thing about oral cultures is they WORK AT REMEMBERING CORRECTLY.

I had a friend who was shipwrecked on an island along the northern coast of Mozambique. They made it to shore and were taken in by the people living there. After spending several days with the people they set off in a life raft, rowing to shore on the mainland. Nearly didn't make it but God had mercy on them.

Before they left the island my friend gave the Chief a talking Bible in their own language. It had only the Gospel of Mark on it but it was solar charged so they could keep it working. She promised the Chief she would return but did not know how quickly she could make it back. It was 3 months before she was able to go back to that island. They welcomed her and after being there awhile she learned that the whole village had memorized the Book of Mark. They had never had modern entertainment and every night around a fire they listened to the Book of Mark. I think that she eventually built a church on the island and sent workers to staff it.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:29 pm The Official State language is Portuguese. There are 26 or 27 tribal languages. The area where I was had 2 predominant ones.

What we have written in the Bible was passed orally for a long time before it began being written down ... at least great parts of it were. The thing about oral cultures is they WORK AT REMEMBERING CORRECTLY.

I had a friend who was shipwrecked on an island along the northern coast of Mozambique. They made it to shore and were taken in by the people living there. After spending several days with the people they set off in a life raft, rowing to shore on the mainland. Nearly didn't make it but God had mercy on them.

Before they left the island my friend gave the Chief a talking Bible in their own language. It had only the Gospel of Mark on it but it was solar charged so they could keep it working. She promised the Chief she would return but did not know how quickly she could make it back. It was 3 months before she was able to go back to that island. They welcomed her and after being there awhile she learned that the whole village had memorized the Book of Mark. They had never had modern entertainment and every night around a fire they listened to the Book of Mark. I think that she eventually built a church on the island and sent workers to staff it.

That is Really Outstanding. Love to hear this. I have a Bible stick but don't like it because I can't search or back up the track. The islanders solved that ! I hope they got John memorized next :)
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The talking Bibles we gave out were searchable by Book, Chapter and Verse. They were complete Bibles .. Old and New Testaments.

We got them from South Africa ... about $25 each. We gave out several hundred of them. A friend of mine brought in 500 by himself.

Also had some friends who ran a radio station north of us about 50 miles. It is mostly Muslim there. They taught a class called "Jesus in the Quran" ... and they gave out free solar powered radios that were tuned only to their radio station.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:09 pm The talking Bibles we gave out were searchable by Book, Chapter and Verse. They were complete Bibles .. Old and New Testaments.

We got them from South Africa ... about $25 each. We gave out several hundred of them. A friend of mine brought in 500 by himself.

Also had some friends who ran a radio station north of us about 50 miles. It is mostly Muslim there. They taught a class called "Jesus in the Quran" ... and they gave out free solar powered radios that were tuned only to their radio station.
Best use of technology that I know of. That's massive good will and treasure.

I have talking bibles on my computer, phone, and tablet ! And a chronological bible that documents the divide between Jacob's blood line and Esau's blood line. Which regular bibles also do. I'm learning which glasses work best for reading printed pages.

Thanks for sharing, it's encouraging
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

There's a lot of good stuff going on around the world. Most of the people doing it never make the "news" nor do they want to. A lot of them have no "social media" presence and are not online. They are out doing the stuff.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

JimT wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:17 am We used the audio Bibles a lot in Mozambique and my friends there still are giving them out. When I was there the government admitted at least 45% of the country was illiterate. I knew a lot of Mozambicans that could not read or write, including pastors and evangelists. They loved the audio Bibles. The ones we gave out had a built-in solar charger because most of the folks had no electricity to plug them in to recharge. Solar was the way to go.

The interesting thing is - those who DON'T read have no real advantage over those who CAN'T read. We've known a lot of people over the years who have taught themselves to read using the Bible as a text book. One fellow in particular came to know the Bible much better than any seminary graduate I've come across since then. And he never finished the first grade, but with a bit of tutoring taught himself to read - and understand - the Bible. Our culture has become non-literate which isn't too far from becoming illiterate again.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Non-Literate is right!
I've had people want me to teach them to reload. When I gave them a loading manual and told them to read all of it carefully and then we would start they refused. They just wanted to learn "the steps to follow" in order to reload. I said, "Goodbye" ...