Finally joined the SAA club

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Finally joined the SAA club

Post by Oldncrusty »

Been window shopping for a couple years, really hoping for a 1st Gen, but gave up due to sticker shock. Found this on line by a dealer two hours away. Unfired NRA Centennial from 1971 in .45. It won't be unfired much longer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Finally joined the SAA club

Post by marlinman93 »

Decades ago Commemoratives, and specials were really bargains. Often much less than a regular SAA from the same year. I remember back 30 years ago my buddy wanted a SAA and they were selling used around $1000 for nice examples that weren't that old. He found a Commemorative at a gun show we were at that was like new in a presentation case. Don't recall what it was other than it was .45 Colt. But the seller wanted $750, and he took a $650 offer.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's a cool find I bet it will shoot as good as it looks 8) don't forget to give us all a range report...
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Congratulations, Oldncrusty! I'm sure you will have a wonderful time with it. Put some honest wear on it!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I predict that you will really enjoy this.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:09 pm Decades ago Commemoratives, and specials were really bargains. Often much less than a regular SAA from the same year. I remember back 30 years ago my buddy wanted a SAA and they were selling used around $1000 for nice examples that weren't that old. He found a Commemorative at a gun show we were at that was like new in a presentation case. Don't recall what it was other than it was .45 Colt. But the seller wanted $750, and he took a $650 offer.
I think that is still the case today, but not to the same degree. I couldn't pass up this bargain. A relatively unpimped unfired 2nd Gen for a little more than used 3rd gens. It may turn out to be a base gun anyhow.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:27 pm That's a cool find I bet it will shoot as good as it looks 8) don't forget to give us all a range report...
Will do as soon as it warms up a little. Got cold hands.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool!

I've been wanting one as well, but something always seems to get in the way.

Have fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

One of the biggest mistakes I've made trading,selling the three I had. Nickel 5 1/2 44-40, Blue cased 4 3/4 44-40 , Blue/ cased 5 1/2 45 I ordered from Custom Shop. I'll get anouther when time and money is right.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats! I've 3 SAAs... 2 3rd Gen 45 Colt 4-¾" guns and a 2nd Gen Presentation model I bought for my wife in .357 7-½". I don't think anything handles as nicely as a real Colt. I also have 3 clones, 2 45 Colts and a .357, all 4-¾". All six have been slicked up for use in cowboy action and are a real pleasure, but somehow, the Colts are just better! Enjoy it! I've read of instances where some Commemorative models weren't well fitted at the factory and can use some improvement in timing, etc. I wouldn't let that deter me from acquiring one tho'.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

I think Scott has gone full on Carnac on this … https://duckduckgo.com/?q=carnac&t=ipad ... Ny0TElah18 :D
Scott is in good company , gotta love Carson !
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Griff wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:20 pm I've read of instances where some Commemorative models weren't well fitted at the factory and can use some improvement in timing, etc. I wouldn't let that deter me from acquiring one tho'.
I'll be getting an aftermarket base pin ASAP, and eventually have a full tuneup done. All my other six-shooters are 4 5/8, but I really like the way this one balances
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Thanks everyone for the kind words.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Very Nice!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Oldncrusty, Dave Scovill is the former editor of Rifle magazine as well as Handloader. He has some good, practical advice in his book, "Loading and Shooting the Peacemaker". Besides, there are some beautiful pictures of Single Action Armies in the book.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Thanks a bunch Walt. I'll definitely look for one. I have a nice coffee table book on Colts. Somewhere. Need to get it back out.