Sight in any long gun in one shot…?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Sight in any long gun in one shot…?

Post by AJMD429 »

Although I would recommend shooting a group of three rather than one for this purpose, and would want to shoot another group of three to verify, it is truly a one step process.

All you need is a good rest and a target of paper or some thing where you can see your bullet hole, that has a bull’s-eye marked on it.
IMG_1981.jpeg
Just use this clamp to attach the little laser to your scope or barrel and fire a shot (or 3) at your bullseye. Settle the gun back into the rest with the crosshairs or sights on the bullseye just as you aimed, then adjust the laser so the dot is on the spot where the bullet actually did hit the target. Now simply adjust your crosshairs or open sites to where they are aiming where the laser that is now aiming.

At that point your gun should be sighted in, although obviously, I would shoot a verification shot or three.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sight in any long gun in one shot…?

Post by Old No7 »

And with only 1 shot fired -- "Wow, what a group!"

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Bughole indeed! We used to help folks at the range use the two-shot sight in, but theoretically, it should work with one shot if you are certain your scope tracks perfectly. Use a rest. Remove scope turret covers. Put crosshairs on the bullseye and fire one shot. Assuming it is not in the bullseye, have a friend hold your rifle absolutely still in the rest, with the crosshairs still on the bull, then you dial the turrets to move the crosshairs to your bullet hole. It should be on target but a second shot or a few more should verify. Guys who were used to shooting up half a box or more of ammo to get their deer rifles sighted in would be amazed.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Exactly Bill! That's the way I do it.
This past fall I helped a newbie get his 1187 slug gun sited in and I explained the process of hold the gun still and I'd move the crosshairs. But as I was moving the turrets he was moving the gun with the hairs! Of course I was counting clicks so I ran them back to the bull, I got behind the gun and had him move the scope. The stupid thing was then I shot a 3 shot group... darn 12 ga slugs! He got back on the gun for a final adjustment.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah the “hold perfectly still” part is the rub, especially while trying to adjust sights. The spare-parts-bin laser and $12 clamp gets around that with certainty.

I’ve found that even in a clamp type rest, if you want to sight in within an inch or less at 100 yards it seldom works, because the slightest bump affects the sim, and once you are moving the crosshairs or open sights you have no reference to in-do the bump. It does work for 25 yards or so though.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

A friend of mine has a variation on the "hold it still" approach. He has a Lead Sled that he clamps his rifle to, fires a shot, ensures that the scope is back on the aim point and then adjusts the scope to the impact point. He let me use it to sight in my Winchester 88 with a Redfield Scope and I can attest to the fact that it works pretty well, even sighting in at 200 yds. Further, it's easy as heck to do as long as you insure that you have the rifle locked in securely in the rest so it doesn't move in it as it fires.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

COSteve wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:42 am A friend of mine has a variation on the "hold it still" approach. He has a Lead Sled that he clamps his rifle to, fires a shot, ensures that the scope is back on the aim point and then adjusts the scope to the impact point. He let me use it to sight in my Winchester 88 with a Redfield Scope and I can attest to the fact that it works pretty well, even sighting in at 200 yds. Further, it's easy as heck to do as long as you insure that you have the rifle locked in securely in the rest so it doesn't move in it as it fires.
This is how my Dad sighted scopes! it indicates that it is true that old school is cool, it was the only way we knew . . .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sounds simple, but doing it this way your bullet will all hit low. They don't fly as level as a laser does! So need to adjust for bullet drop either before, or after that one shot.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I have used several different laser sight in tools and most seem to work okay for getting you real close. Definitely saves bullets but I have yet to have one that gets you there in 1 shot.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rube Burrows wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:13 pm I have used several different laser sight in tools and most seem to work okay for getting you real close. Definitely saves bullets but I have yet to have one that gets you there in 1 shot.
Were they the kind you stick in the chamber (or barrel)...?
I tried those and really found them no better than eyeballing down the barrel to 'boresight'. Maybe helpful for guns you can't get a dental mirror to work or can't just pull the bolt out, but otherwise not helpful to me. In fact, the laser part of the gizmo I use is a part of one of those laser boresighters that I took apart because it just didn't do much useful (other than make a fun dot to get the dogs and cats to chase around the floor... :lol: )

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:01 pm
Rube Burrows wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:13 pm I have used several different laser sight in tools and most seem to work okay for getting you real close. Definitely saves bullets but I have yet to have one that gets you there in 1 shot.
Were they the kind you stick in the chamber (or barrel)...?
I tried those and really found them no better than eyeballing down the barrel to 'boresight'. Maybe helpful for guns you can't get a dental mirror to work or can't just pull the bolt out, but otherwise not helpful to me. In fact, the laser part of the gizmo I use is a part of one of those laser boresighters that I took apart because it just didn't do much useful (other than make a fun dot to get the dogs and cats to chase around the floor... :lol: )
Bore sighting the SAF, [StandardAmericanFirearm] is so simple even I can do it. Remove the bolt and set the upper on anything that looks out a window with a clear field of view, I use a counter top and an anchor buoy. You could use a star or a distant street light or a favorable glint. Center the target in the barrel, then line up the sights to the center of the target. Works with irons, dot sights, and scopes. I have done this with a variety of uppers on a variety of lowers for a variety of friends and have only found one upper that did not cooperate. When several things line up I will remove and reinstall that barrel. It is stunning how Ford's production line and parts standardization experiment has made uniform SAFs ubiquitous. This will even work on turnbolt guns!

grizz
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep. And if you have one of those little dental angled mirrors that's a good clear glass one, you can avoid having to take the bolt out of a lever gun, because you can just look down the bore with that. It helps if you have something round and bright to look at like a clay target or something.