Bear Creek Supply coated bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Bear Creek Supply coated bullets

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Is anyone using these bullets in their leverguns or sixguns?

I’m interested in the coating and how well it works.

Besides, these look downright sexy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bear Creek Supply coated bullets

Post by Ray »

I have not tried them in a long-gun but in revolvers, self-loaders and single/double shots (t/c & bond) No egregious leading and the fouling is reminiscent of moly/graphite residue. The website instructions say a taper crimp or slight roll crimp directly through coating into bullet is recommended.

Rev. T has worked with the .35/.36 round noses and can elaborate.....

What appeals to me about the hb/dimple nose design you show is it looks like it might actually expand/flatten/rivet.
m.A.g.a. !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I talked with the guy earlier today and he seems like a really good fellow who was interested in helping me find a solution to my FA97 fouling issues.

I placed an order and he’s sending me samples of some other bullets that might work well.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have been using them for the 9mm and 380 ACP for several years. I also have some in the .45-70 and the .44 Magnum. They work really well. Mic McPherson says if you shoot them enough they will condition your barrel. He is a big proponent of them.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I just did my first trial in .357 with Acme coated in both revolver and carbine. I had very positive results with the load I tried.
Previously, I was using Rainier (out of business) and Berry's plated 158gr. RN over 6.5gr. of Unique. I used the same load behind the Acme bullets to get a direct comparison. I gained in both velocity and accuracy.
I load them on a Dillon 550 and was somewhat concerned if they would load as slick as the plated bullets, but they were every bit as easy to load.
So far, so good.

I'm looking at trying them in .45ACP, 45 Colt, and 44 magnum also. They save time and my lead supply, but honestly, I'm just getting lazy in my old age.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've used Bear Creek's coated 200 grain RNFP 44 bullet, their 40 caliber 180 RNFP and SWC bullets and their 45 caliber 230 grain Cooper bullet. All of them shot real well and load development was not difficult. These bullets are real slick though, and I've had to up my powder charges to match the velocity of identical cast bullets.

Bear Creeks are about all I buy these days.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Thanks guys. I might be on the right track.

If they shoot well, they are actually cheaper than what I am currently shooting
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

OldWin wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:52 pm I just did my first trial in .357 with Acme coated in both revolver and carbine. I had very positive results with the load I tried.
Previously, I was using Rainier (out of business) and Berry's plated 158gr. RN over 6.5gr. of Unique. I used the same load behind the Acme bullets to get a direct comparison. I gained in both velocity and accuracy.
I load them on a Dillon 550 and was somewhat concerned if they would load as slick as the plated bullets, but they were every bit as easy to load.
So far, so good.

I'm looking at trying them in .45ACP, 45 Colt, and 44 magnum also. They save time and my lead supply, but honestly, I'm just getting lazy in my old age.
I bought some of the Acme bullets in .40 cal for the the S&W I bought. It was my first .40 S&W right in the middle of the pandemic. They were the only ones available and 140 gr was all they had. Scrounged some once fired brass and was off. However the 4006 didn't shoot the light bullets well, I have used them in my 10mm with a light charge of Bullseye. They make a decent plinking load in the Blackhawk. I've been planning on ordering some different calibers and now It looks like I'll need to give the Bear Creek bullets a try too.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

That hollow based 230 gr .45 bullet really has my attention. If it performs as advertised it should shoot well even in older Colts.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I've used them for years in my semi-auto and SA pistols, leverguns and recently in my Ruger Original PC4 and like them a lot for plinking and general shooting. I use both his .38/.357 158 and 180 grn bullets mostly in my Rossi leverguns but also in my SA, .40 cal 155, 180 and 200 grn bullets in my Glocks and now in my PC4 and 205 grn and 255 grn .45 Colt bullets in my SA and Uberti leverguns. A shooting buddy also uses his 44-40 205 grn bullets in his Rossi levergun and likes them too. No leading, no smoking, they're real easy to load and they're decently accurate as well.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sarge's post about his velocities made me question my earlier post about my velocities, and whether they were faster than the plated bullets.
Of course, these results were different times of year, and in the case of the revolver, a different gun. I did, however shoot the plated load again at the time I shot the coated Acme bullets.

Out of a 4" Smith model 66, I got 950fps with the Rainier 158gr. RN back in my original test.
The same day netted 1350fps out of a Rossi 20" 92.

My recent trial got 1140fps out of a new 4" Colt Python with the old plated load. The coated bullets got 1170fps.
Most likely, the Colt is just "faster" than the old Smith.
In comparison, I got 1250fps from the plated bullets out of the Rossi 92. The coated bullets got 1315fps from the carbine.

The Rossi is my only .357 rifle, but I have a pile of handguns thus chambered. Can't wait to try the rest when I'm not standing in a pile of snow with frozen hands. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.