'Smart' devices are dumb....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

'Smart' devices are dumb....

Post by AJMD429 »

...or rather, having unnecessary 'smart' devices is a stupid thing to do...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... r-BB1hUX3Q

Yet the citizenry is adopting this kind of stuff naively, and even worse, much of our infrastructure depends on 'the net'.

We are going to get TANGLED in the 'net' one day and maybe then folks will realize that 'smart' things that interconnect need some limits, controls, and safeguards - and I don't mean just 'regulation' - just like we learned that having your own generator or solar panels is good, but if you hook into it improperly, you can electrocute linemen working on power lines they disconnected from their end, we need to have some common sense and not all rush out and get an Alexa, or 'smart toothbrush'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 'Smart' devices are dumb....

Post by JDL »

Amen brother! Satan loves electricity and all things electric, especially the WWW.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

It's bad enough that things can be listening to you without inviting them into your home. I have some friends who have Alexa or some Google thing that listens all the time. All you have to do is talk to it and it will order you a pizza or a new car or whatever. They were watching Home Improvement one night and on the show one of the characters said, "Call Home Depot and order 5000 half inch washers." So their listening "smart" device called Home Depot and ordered the washers for them. Luckily they caught it right away somehow. Yet they are stupid enough to leave it in their house!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I’ve started turning my smart phone off at appropriate times.

Interestingly we caught a guy who committed multiple murders in Chicago down here in Natalia Texas a couple of weeks ago…..tracking him by cell phone.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

TRUST BIG COMPANIES that pay off the GOV. I even store them in Faraday bags at times after they are in Airplane mode and turned off.
It is not the critic who counts
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Paladin wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:50 pm TRUST BIG COMPANIES that pay off the GOV. I even store them in Faraday bags at times after they are in Airplane mode and turned off.
A good use for ammo cans....
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:35 pm
Paladin wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:50 pm TRUST BIG COMPANIES that pay off the GOV. I even store them in Faraday bags at times after they are in Airplane mode and turned off.
A good use for ammo cans....
a faraday bag is useful. i tested one and no signals get in or out of it. my wallet is also an rf blocker and a rail pass can't read it, card readers can't read the credit cards when they are in the wallet. but I read that an ammo can, or a garbage can, can be penetrated by an emp if the lids aren't sealed with metal tape. i think an emp can toast the cards in my wallet, so the electronics can go into the ammo can, then into a metal garbage can. or a set of faraday bags go into the ammo can. and the usb devices with all of the personal info and the passwords and the keys that you have to have, go in the faraday bag, and just live there. i don't have this all sorted yet, but things are progressing in this direction. so i am a progressive after all ? :roll: Grrr
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Your microwave is a Faraday cage, you can get more stuff in it when the EMP comes.
To test to make sure the microwave isn't leaking put your ( or someone else's)cell phone in, close the door then call from another phone. If it rings your microwave is shot.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

After the EMP strike who are you going to call with your protected phone? :mrgreen:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

gcs wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:22 am After the EMP strike who are you going to call with your protected phone? :mrgreen:
No one but so you can still play solitaire! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:38 pm
gcs wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:22 am After the EMP strike who are you going to call with your protected phone? :mrgreen:
No one but so you can still play solitaire! :lol:
the other guy with a faraday bag? the best use of protective sleeves and faraday bags for me is to keep control of my personal information, your phone can't be cloned if it's invisible. your ccards can't be cloned if they are invisible.

the faraday cage is to protect whatever you think you need in dystopiastan. there will be radio operators who have preserved equipment, and there are hams who have NON digital radios with discreet components that won't croak even if the sun gets us with a monster pulse... all the cell towers and wifi infrastructure can be gone, but peoples are still gonna network. just in different ways. if frs or ham rigs are preserved they will still work when someone gets on one and says, "Hello World. Is anybody out there?"
in human history the electrical grid is an aberration. our great grand parents didn't have one . . . but Boy Howdy! it sure is gonna be Dark and Quiet.

in re-reading this I think I will get some cricket-clickers jic . . ,
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

"I fear the day when the technology overlaps with our humanity. The world will only have a generation of idiots." Albert Einstein

The big question is, are we there yet?!

I was traveling back in September, and I asked a gentleman where the nearest
hotels were.

"Just look it up on your cell phone!"

"Don't own a cell phone."

The guy looked at me like I was an alien with three heads.

One of these days, I'll have to break down and get one.
It WILL make life on the road easier.

I wonder if there were similar conversations back when pen and paper were invented.

-Stretch
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

stretch wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:35 am "I fear the day when the technology overlaps with our humanity. The world will only have a generation of idiots." Albert Einstein

hotels were.

The guy looked at me like I was an alien with three heads.

One of these days, I'll have to break down and get one.
It WILL make life on the road easier.

I wonder if there were similar conversations back when pen and paper were invented.

-Stretch
Interesting question. I wonder what the cuneiform laborers local had to say about that?
MISC_cueniform.jpg

I know someone who bought a stupid watch because he just wanted to know the time and didn't want a "watch" reporting his vitals everywhere...

grizz
MISC_tablet petitioning king for edict against papyrus.png
or perhaps early memory dump? first ipad? IDK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:10 am Your microwave is a Faraday cage, you can get more stuff in it when the EMP comes.
To test to make sure the microwave isn't leaking put your ( or someone else's)cell phone in, close the door then call from another phone. If it rings your microwave is shot.
I thought you were suggesting a heat-treatment for the phones . . . :wink:
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

stretch wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:35 am "I fear the day when the technology overlaps with our humanity. The world will only have a generation of idiots." Albert Einstein

hotels were.

You're one better than me there. I have a cellphone but its older button style. Nothing I need to do on a smartphone i cant do on a regular phone+ PC. In fact I havent seen any tech I need at all in 15-20 years. Back then a PC could still load an image, stream a video, populate a word doc or spreadsheet. Funny thing is now we have computers 100x more powerful and still wait 5 seconds for it to open the same darn word doc or attachment :?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One of the things I realized these days is that older people who didn’t have computers during our educational years, learned to use computers and the Internet, like a library, to get information. Then we use that information in our own brain, and make a decision about what to do.

The big difference now is that young people do the opposite. They act like data entry clerks, instead of doctors, or pharmacists, or whatever their job is, mindlessly typing information into computers to document things, and then they stare at the computer screen, and when the window pops up telling them what to do, they do it.

No thinking involved.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I know people that before they go into a meeting the battery has to come out of their phone before they walk in. From what they say, the Feds can still hear you even if the phone is turned off..

Smart devices? I still dont even have a credit card, automatic washing machine, or cell phone. I heat with wood. Cash only….We have a smart TV but no one around here is smart enough to use it. Mom has a smart phone and I have an iPad without calling capabilities. She uses her phone for Tic Tok.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

EG73 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:02 pm
good question. since phones are now computers can hook them up to my router and get my devices and protected backup drives networked. the mouse works on the phone when the phone is on the lan. the network I have operates whether the internet is up or not. then start looking for long rang wifi signals with ham gear. i will have access to all of my data, family connections, vital documents, and photographs. I have adapters that let me hook up my phones to my router, and to the internet when it exists. from there I could build out a network on ham gear. there already are private wireless networks, intranets operating independently of the "internet" . the only thing you would lose is the advert popups. :) all of this is already being done, and just needs equipment that isn't toast . . .
grizz