I need to learn to leave well enough alone...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

I need to learn to leave well enough alone...

Post by Ysabel Kid »

... but it is not a skills I have developed yet!

So, back in 2022 I won an auction on a Smith & Wesson .38 Double Action 3rd Model. It was really stiff, but a thorough cleaning helped a lot. Only issue was that the single action stop would not hold, but it worked perfectly in double action model.

Did I say, "hey, not bad for a gun about 140 years old - leave it be"? Oh no, I decided to take it to my gunsmith to see if it was an easy fix.

Well, it might have been, but things went horribly wrong.

When he took it apart somehow he broke the hammer post (the post that the hammer pivots on, which holds the removable section of the frame to the fixed section).

He tried to get it out, but could not - and didn't want to potentially mess up anything else.

So, I got back a pile of parts. My gunsmith has been great, and never overcharges me, so I'm not upset with him.

Fast forward, I found a modern reproduction part, but how to get the remanent of the post out?

Regis, I'd like to poll the audience.

Here's a picture of what I'm dealing with:

As you can see, the post is snapped. Any ideas on how to get it out? I tried a screw extractor, and all it did was drill a hole in the post.

Before I make a total mess of it, I figured I'd ask for the expertise of you fine fellas. Thanks!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I need to learn to leave well enough alone...

Post by TedH »

I would get it secured in a solid vise and soak it with some good penetrating oil like Kroil for a few days. Then take a small punch and try tapping it from the side on that broken edge as far out from the center as you can get to get it to turn. If it's still a no-go then try a little heat from a handheld propane torch to get things to loosen up. If worse comes to worse you may have to take a Dremel with small bits and just grind what's left away until you get close to the threads in the frame then take some small picks to get the remnants out of the threaded hole.
NRA Life Member
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Hope you can get it up and running again Jay. Those old Smiths have a charm of their own.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Mark Novak has a Youtube video on replacing a broken trigger stud (iirc) on a Model 29. You might get some ideas from it.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

TedH wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:15 pm I would get it secured in a solid vise and soak it with some good penetrating oil like Kroil for a few days. Then take a small punch and try tapping it from the side on that broken edge as far out from the center as you can get to get it to turn. If it's still a no-go then try a little heat from a handheld propane torch to get things to loosen up. If worse comes to worse you may have to take a Dremel with small bits and just grind what's left away until you get close to the threads in the frame then take some small picks to get the remnants out of the threaded hole.
Hi Ted. We were thinking alike, as I managed to back it out a turn or two, using a small punch as you described. And Kroil. :) It is hard to use a punch now given the angle compared to the frame. I'm going to give it a try, and try the heat as well, which I haven't done yet. The Dremel was also something I figured I'd use after exhausting all other options. I was just hoping for an easier solution! :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

samsi wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:18 pm Mark Novak has a Youtube video on replacing a broken trigger stud (iirc) on a Model 29. You might get some ideas from it.
Thanks!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Darn, Good Luck
It is not the critic who counts