Wonder how long it would take

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Wonder how long it would take

Post by Pat C »

For this 1873 to look like the Great Basin 73 ??
Thinking about leaving it out in the woods ,leave a treasure map some lie about Jessie James.

If most keyhole on a single target was the goal I win!!
Possible cracked chamber face ? Need to investigate as I don't remember seeing it before although it may just be a scratch.

Bore is roached out nothing but pits first third then pitted rifling. Must be to loose at the beginning as rounds didn't have much rifling engraved . Just lying on ground bounced off rubber backing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Wonder how long it would take

Post by win40-82 »

Have you tried a gas check bullet?
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

If not much rifling is engraved on your recovered bullets and they're tumbling, you probably need to slug the barrel.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

The bore at muzzle is .310 " at the grooves. These were factory cowboy action ammo. I don't reload myself . But had planned on using WRA handloader and bullet mold to load some black powder loads.

Problem is first third of bore is roached out no rifling. Bullets are starting getting canted . But until I figure out whether it's cracked or not not safe to fire.
Turdyturdy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Turdyturdy »

I have seen bores worse than that shoot pretty good. I would try a fast pistol powder like Unique that somewhat mimics black powder that “bumps up” the bullet diameter. Those cowboy loads are so anemic that little to no obturation takes place. Unique has gotten many a 32 WCF to shoot accurately.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Since I'm not a reloader,least not at moment I have only the WRA handloader set to use. I tried to get some better pictures of that breech .I don't think it's cracked ,looks more like a deep pocket knife scratch maybe a stuck case in its early life.
You people might convince me yet I need to start loading at least for the obsolete cartridges.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Sure seems like a candidate for a reline or rebore.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:36 pm Sure seems like a candidate for a reline or rebore.
No doubt about it, but I still might try some different loads see what happens. I really want to make up some black powder loads with the handloader.

It's not cracked on breech ,I had it out in bright sun today with loop.It appears deep scratch. So a liner would sold bore.
Also looked at the bore in bright light .NO rifling until halfway point just pitted bore. Second half has worn rifling.

I think at this point the fun is in the experiment see how bad a bore can be and still somehow shoot.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Pat C wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:54 pm
Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:36 pm Sure seems like a candidate for a reline or rebore.
No doubt about it...
1873 bore.jpg

Yikes, that looks like the "sewer pipe" of a barrel that was on my late father's .22 LR Martini single shot, which had been shot with corrosive ammo and not cleaned well afterwards (years before he acquired it). After he passed and I inherited it, a reline restored it to superb accuracy.

Pat C wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:03 pm For this 1873 to look like the Great Basin 73 ??
Thinking about leaving it out in the woods ,leave a treasure map some lie about Jessie James.
That's not a bad idea either though! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Yeah and what your seeing is the good end :lol:
The front half I couldn't capture in photo but it has no rifling just pitted roughness.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Walt wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:22 pm If not much rifling is engraved on your recovered bullets and they're tumbling, you probably need to slug the barrel.
Yeah, then maybe re-line it…
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

So, who do you all like for relining?
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Bobby Hoyt at the Frieshutz Shop would be the one to do it.
I have full shop at home I can do it but nobody has liner drills and by time you buy one and liner your over Bobby's price.

I'm not giving up yet though , it's possible a careful handload with larger cast bullet may do it.

I could buy blank from green mountain and just make a barrel.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

If I had that project, my first thought would be “How big has the chamber and throat eroded to?”
You have a small number of cases fired in that rifle. What is the biggest bullet you can slip fit into the cases?
There is a shortage of pistol caliber bullet molds between .314” and .355” for the .380 auto. Maybe you can find someone to cast some .355” bullets for you in soft lead, and then size them to .324”. If you lube them first the lube grooves will not be completely ironed
Good luck. I would shoot it a fair bit like it is before changing it.

But those are just my thoughts.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

junkbug wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:10 am If I had that project, my first thought would be “How big has the chamber and throat eroded to?”
You have a small number of cases fired in that rifle. What is the biggest bullet you can slip fit into the cases?
There is a shortage of pistol caliber bullet molds between .314” and .355” for the .380 auto. Maybe you can find someone to cast some .355” bullets for you in soft lead, and then size them to .324”. If you lube them first the lube grooves will not be completely ironed
Good luck. I would shoot it a fair bit like it is before changing it.

But those are just my thoughts.
That's my intentions to do some experimenting before pulling the barrel .Honestly it was given to me as a wall hanger or to part out. But after detail cleaning it turned out to be mechanically solid sans the bore condition.

Next step I'm going to cast some bullets from my WRA mold ,it measures .316" not sure how much they shrink but warm mold maybe not. Going to use light blackpowder load and cream of wheat for filler see what that will do.

I think Bobby charges $225 chambered ready to go
I could do it myself in my shop but time you buy liner and drill your past his price.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

You might try shim your mold with metal duct tape to get the diameter up a bit. It will be slightly out of round, but may not matter. That and very soft, pure lead.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

The chamber is fairly clean best photo I could get with dental mirror as you can see heavily pitted throat with no signs of any rifling until nearly half way through barrel . My guess leaking gas and bullet tumble is killing it from start.
.315/.316 is what cases measure after firing. The Winchester mold is about same so that my next step .