Ultra sonic cleaning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Ultra sonic cleaning

Post by 4t5 »

Does anyone here use this method for cleaning a handgun ? I would love to remove the stocks on a revolver and drop it in a bath, to come out clean.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Ultra sonic cleaning

Post by gcs »

I haven't, but have read that others do it regularly... really can't hurt anything...
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Used one for years in the shop for engine parts. Not sure how it would work on an assembled handgun as the cleaning agent is water based. You would need to thoroughly dry, oil all metal parts. If you stripped the piece and cleaned the parts in the basket, then dried and oiled them as you re-assembled it should work great.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

There are a number of ultrasonic cleaning solutions that aren't water based. But they do indeed remove lubrication. However, some systems advertise that they also lubricate. From time to time I do remove the grips and ultrasonically clean, then lubricate myself.

Just as a side note, I have an old dishwasher in my shop for cleaning stuff, including black powder firearms (that fit of course). I'm amazed that a BP revolver can have the grips pulled and come out of the machine needing only lubrication. Because they heat the metal up to dry I haven't ever had any corrosion issues.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

I’m cleaning brass with a vibratory cleaner using dawn dish detergent with much success, and was thinking why not toss the gun in. Black powder guy’s use soap and water all the time. Cylinder and slide used to offer a “dunk it” product to clean firearms.I think you’re right about heat, a hair dryer should work well.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

My buddy, who owns a large gun shop and range has this ultra sonic cleaner in the back room……as he rents out dozens of guns a day, including full auto machine guns, he would have to hire a person to do all that cleaning.

They just pop the stocks off and puts the guns in this stainless steel machine that has a HOT …near boiling fluid in it of some kind….probably 5 gallons, maybe more. Turns it on and a few minutes later the gun comes out new, inside and out.

For anyone familiar with a machine gun, you will know they get very dirty and these guns have lots of parts……I’ve seen it, complete uppers from AR’s, MP5’s,M2 carbines……drop em in and pull em out…hit it with compressed air to dry ….the fluid leaves a film on the working parts…I was skeptical so he showed me dumping a complete Smith and Wesson minus the stocks……

Of course, it’s not big enough for a Ma Deuce or a BAR……one time he did put a Rolls Royce Merlin engine in it from a P51 Mustang…..🤪

We can do the same with a consumer sized sonic cleaner.

I have a Lyman and with hot degreaser that I use…..it takes a bit longer but you ought to see how cylinders, frames, reloading tools, metal flexible watch bands, micrometer receiver sights…anything …..look like….

I guess the same thing can be done with a toothbrush, Simple Green and compressed air can do, but a whole lot easier.—————Double O Six
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I used one to clean blackpowder revolvers after disassembling them. Run them through a few 5 minute cycles then it makes cleaning them a whole lot easier. :D
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Totally unnecessary except in the most extreme cases.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have used my cheap Harbor Freight unit to begin the assault on the yak fat found on Martinis from Nepal, but have not found it very useful.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I bought a Harbor Freight one slightly used from a friend. I used it once, as test, to clean the gunk of my keys. lol Worked lousy at it. Took several attempts to even accomplish that. The second time I tried to use it, it didn't even turn on. I got hoodwinked!

There are firearms specific solutions available, I would assume so you don't have to worry about water displacement afterwards.

For a couple years now I wanted to buy one to clean the breach end of my muzzle loaders, thinking it would be faster, do a better job and I'd KNOW they were clean. But finding one deep enough (that wasn't thousands of dollars) wasn't easy. It was something I'd thought about for years, but wasn't till I finally bought a bore scope that I realized how much it would help. You will hear the usual rambling about how all you need is soap and hot water, blah blah blah... "I've been cleaning my rifle in the crik for 147 years with nothing but a willow branch, a rag and some spit and I aint never had a problem gettin'r clean!" :roll:

I clean the bores lickety-split too, they're so clean and perfect in the bore scope. But the breach end of all my rifles, oh lord, they look like the engine room of the Titanic!

I didn't want to buy Amazon junk, so I'd been looking at commercial grade, name brand units. I found one that would be deep enough, but it would be very limited in what else I could clean in it. Plus it was in the $600 range. But I decided that after hunting season was over I'd order one. Of course with hunting season over, I haven't been shooting them, so the jets have cooled a little. Just like every other time. ;)

Once life settles down a bit I will order one. In the mean time I will look for other models to would do the job and be useful for other things.
Slow is just slow.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I got a DK Sonic off of Amazon but I've only used it for brass thus far. It works well. I think you have to do a little research on the number and power of transducers and the heating capabilities to get the right unit. I paid a bit more for extra transducer power and more powerful heating.

I think mine should easily hold a broken down pistol for cleaning.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It would be nice if someone made a ultrasound unit you could fit to pvc pipe so a whole barreled action or muzzle stuffer barrel could go in.
I still prefer to tumble in dry media as I really don't want to wait for brass to dry.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Full disclosure ... these things are not quiet. The one I bought is quite loud ... the 6 liter DK Sonic.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

The reason I ask is, the wife hates the smell of hoppes #9. So I need to find something different.
Rumble.com/ hickock45