The Travis Letter will return to the Alamo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

The Travis Letter will return to the Alamo

Post by Bill in Oregon »

This historic document was written by Col. William Travis at the Alamo while under attack by Santa Anna's forces; he and the other defenders had just a dozen days left to live. It will be on loan to the Alamo this winter, from Feb. 23 to March 24, at the new Ralston Family Collections Center. It carries great weight with me, and I am sure, many others who love our country.

"Commandancy of the The Alamo

Bejar, Feby. 24th. 1836

To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World-

Fellow Citizens & compatriots-

I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna - I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man - The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken - I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls - I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch - The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country - Victory or Death.

William Barret Travis.

Lt. Col.comdt.

P. S. The Lord is on our side - When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn - We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels and got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.

Travis"
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Re: The Travis Letter will return to the Alamo

Post by JBowen »

Thanks, for sharing that tidbit of history, Bill. Those were some really brave men.

JBowen
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That is indeed a very important letter and it adds greatly to the legend of the bravery of those who fought to defend the Alamo.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8)
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

A copy of that Letter should be sent to every member of Congress .
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

.45colt wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:33 amA copy of that Letter should be sent to every member of Congress .
Why? The only purpose it'd serve would be to just pee 'em off as none of the cowards have slightest inkling of honor or duty. They can't even uphold the Constitution from the safety of their hallowed offices.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

No matter how many times I read things about the Alamo I'm still amazed at the bravery those men showed under certain death. A soldier here or there who faces death but stands his ground is always amazing, but for that many to face certain death and do so together is even more so.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Griff wrote; "Why? The only purpose it'd serve would be to just pee 'em off as none of the cowards have slightest inkling of honor or duty. They can't even uphold the Constitution from the safety of their hallowed offices" That's exactly why they should have to read it just to RUB THEIR NOSE IN IT . :twisted: :twisted: .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

There there is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKD5TgHWyxM&t=1s

Less than two months after he ordered "all throats slit, no quarter" at the Alamo, the Texians captured Santa Anna then released him unharmed. He went on to live to 82 years, and died in 1876. This photo was taken of him in 1870.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.