Have I been wrong

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Have I been wrong

Post by Bronco »

A recent thread discussed leaving an empty chamber on a older SAA revolver! One reply mentioned about carrying a lever action long gun on half cock!
Well I remember carrying my 94 Winchester around the woods on half cock when I was hunting. Unloading it for crossing fences or in the vehicle.
Have I been wrong or unsafe to carry it when on foot wandering around in the woods on half cock ??
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
JB
Senior Levergunner

Re: Have I been wrong

Post by JB »

If you're going to carry it with a round in the chamber, then yes use the half cock. That's what it was designed for.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nope - especially since you are unloading it before getting into a vehicle or climbing over a fence. I'd much rather miss a shot at game then accidently put a round in me or a companion. Taking an extra second for safety is always worth it!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

On a horse or in a patrol car I always left the chamber empty until I wanted to use it.

But I see nothing wrong with using the half cock notch is hunting on foot.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I've always carried my leverguns with a cartridge chambered and the hammer on half cock, while hunting. Learned that a long time ago from the old timers.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I know I would have lost a lot of chances on taking squirrels if I had to crank the lever first, half cock is fine.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.