The Story as told by Doctor Luke (from ancient documents)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The Story as told by Doctor Luke (from ancient documents)

Post by JimT »

…. Caesar Augustus ordered a census to be taken throughout the Empire. This was the first census when Quirinius was governor of Syria. Everyone had to travel to his own ancestral hometown to be accounted for. So Joseph went from the Galilean town of Nazareth up to Bethlehem in Judah, David’s town, for the census. As a descendant of David, he had to go there. He went with Mary, his fiancée, who was pregnant.

While they were there, the time came for her to give birth. She gave birth to a son, her firstborn. She wrapped him in a blanket and laid him in a manger, because there was no room in the hostel.

There were shepherds camping in the neighborhood. They had set night watches over their sheep. Suddenly, God’s angel stood among them and God’s glory blazed around them. They were terrified. The angel said, “Don’t be afraid. I’m here to announce a great and joyful event that is meant for everybody, worldwide: A Savior has just been born in David’s town, a Savior who is Messiah and Master. This is what you’re to look for: a baby wrapped in a blanket and lying in a manger.”

At once the angel was joined by a huge angelic choir singing God’s praises:

Glory to God in the heavenly heights,
Peace to all men and women on earth who please him.

As the angel choir withdrew into heaven, the shepherds talked it over. “Let’s get over to Bethlehem as fast as we can and see for ourselves what God has revealed to us.” They left, running, and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in the manger. Seeing was believing. They told everyone they met what the angels had said about this child. All who heard the shepherds were impressed.

Mary kept all these things to herself, holding them dear, deep within herself. The shepherds returned and let loose, glorifying and praising God for everything they had heard and seen. It turned out exactly the way they’d been told!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Story as told by Doctor Luke (from ancient documents)

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Good reminder Jim. I was in Isaiah this morning and was impressed with the accuracy of what the prophet had to say about the coming of Jesus.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

What I find so interesting is that folks had thousands of years to study the prophecies of His coming and did not get it correct. The religious teachers and leaders had it all wrong or just didn't understand it or they do not believe it.
Those who predict His future coming do the same exact thing today.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I love the RSV translation. Read it every Christmas to get "grounded."
It's the one Linus read in "A Charlie Brown Christmas." 8)
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:45 pm I love the RSV translation. Read it every Christmas to get "grounded."
It's the one Linus read in "A Charlie Brown Christmas." 8)
My grandsons read that this year. It's one of their favorites.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

They did know the Messiah was due.
Remember the star that guided the three wise men?
It led them to Herod first who secretly desired to kill the Messiah to keep his dynasty. He saw the Messiah as a threat and not to the restoration of God's sovereignty over man and earth. Thus the star that guided was from Satan!
Herod was not surprised when the three wise men informed him why they were there, in fact he used them, unsuccessfully, because an angel instructed the three wise to not to return to Herod to inform him where the child is which infuriated him enough to issue a decree and have every male child killed.
They knew the prophesies alright but chose to reject them, happy to keep their status and wealth at the expense of the people.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thanks Nath. I always enjoy other people's perspectives and insights.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

As many of you know, I lead the security team for our church. Christmas is a zoo, with a huge number of people who only attend Mass on Christmas and Easter coming in an showing the most un-Christian like behavior (demanding, short tempered, unreasonable, and nasty). I'm usually not looking forward to it due to this. We had 10 services from Saturday through Monday, with almost 7K people in total (and we are NOT a "mega-church").

I did notice, despite the loud few above, most people where in the Christmas spirit, happy, and recognized the true reason for the season. And the security team got a ton of thankyou's. A couple of medical incidents and a fender-bender in the parking lot, but no safety/security concerns (despite a threat that had us concerned). That to me makes for a great Christmas.

I did a "bible in a year" study this year and it was fantastic! I looked forward to it every day. I read the bible through, cover-to-cover years ago, but doing the study, methodically, I have gotten so much more out of it. Luke's gospel was the last one we did, just a few weeks ago. :D