Why 357 only?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Why 357 only?

Post by wvfarrier »

My "google-fu" failed me on this. Why, do newer Miroku 1892's, say 357 mag only? I have run some 38s through mine with no problems. Is there an issue?
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Why 357 only?

Post by jeepnik »

It also says factory ammo only somewhere. It’s all lawyers.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

SOME 38 Special cartridges won't feed all that well in the leverguns, but most have in most of my 357 Mag leverguns. Has to do with balance of cartridge, bullet profile, overall length, etc., and tinkering with the load and seating seems to fix it for most folks who use handloads.

AND in theory after tons of shooting shorter 38 Special cased ammo in a longer 357 Mag chamber, there can be a 'crud ring' in the front of the chamber that MIGHT make for sticky extraction or even difficult chambering (never had that in my Marlin 1894 CSS and 1894 CST despite almost exclusive use of the shorter cartridges). That should respond to cleaning so I don't see it as an issue.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

That makes sense.

I only ask because my favorite "magnum" load is built on 38 +p brass. It will not feed at all using magnum brass since C.O.A.L is too long but is phenominal in the 38 +p configuration.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have an 81 BLR that says .243 Only
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

.38 Spl &.357 Magnum are two divergent length cartridges, in order to make both work in the same action, some parameters must be compromised. Most notably the position and shape of the slots in the cartridge guides, This compromise has been the source of many complaints about the inability of the action to feed booth cartridges with equal ease... It means that either cartridge just fit within that window of compatibility. Maybe Winchester just tired of the complaints and decided to forgo the multi-chambering. Note that the same single listing is not given under the specifications for the 1873. In this model the ramp at the lower front of the carrier provides a convenient platform to allow various lengths of cartridges. It does have a limitation, as the ramps function is the force the next cartridge back into the magazine tube as the carrier is raised. The best source for an answer would be Winchester.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I don’t know but my Jim Taylor modified Rossi and my Marlin both feed .38 Special just as well as they feed .357s

I would think that this is an overall length issue and a long bullet in a ..38 Special case would work just fine.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Im inclined not to care whats stamped on the gun in this case as a357 can fire 38 and a 44mag can fire 44 special. Whether they feed them well comes down to more than what the gun is stamped with anyway since a particular lever gun will have its own idea of what COAL and nose profiles it likes. On a side note of the 5 rossis I have owned in 357 and 44 only one didnt like specials.