Drove by the spot where Stonewall Jackson was wounded

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Drove by the spot where Stonewall Jackson was wounded

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I still wonder how that affected the progress of the War.

Friendly fire is never friendly.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Drove by the spot where Stonewall Jackson was wounded

Post by wvfarrier »

Ask Pat Tilman.....oh wait, we cant 😒
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:16 pm I still wonder how that affected the progress of the War.

Friendly fire is never friendly.
I've been to that spot. What gets me about the entire region is how much war history there is. With some overlapping battlefields.
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil war
Stolen election war

I must be missing something

again
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Makes a person think if Stonewall had not been shot would Gettysburg ever of happened or if it did would the Confederacy have won the battle.I believe he was the best General they had a natural strategist
Last edited by barbarossa on Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

It was a huge blow for the Confederacy. Who knows how it affected the morale of the soldiers?
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Little to do with Jackson but a window into the past nonetheless.....

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13202
m.A.g.a. !
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I do not believe Jackson was very much mourned by the North Carolina troops he commanded. It was only a rumor, but almost immediately, North Carolina troops began to gossip that Jackson had been shot on purpose.

The rumor has been generally discounted, but it shows how quick some of his troops were to believe he had been intentionally removed from commanding them.

He was a hard taskmaster, very quick to order forced marches. The Virginians really held him in the highest esteem(and they were the most numerous). His other troops, not quite so much.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

junkbug wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:04 pm I do not believe Jackson was very much mourned by the North Carolina troops he commanded. It was only a rumor, but almost immediately, North Carolina troops began to gossip that Jackson had been shot on purpose.
These rumors should be taken in context. He was likely shot by one or more Texas boys because they were unfamiliar with his comings and goings. Moreover one of the rounds that hit him was a round ball. His own troops would have all been armed with rifles shooting Minie bullets.

If his troops felt strongly attached to him they may well spread rumors that this was no accident.

It’s hard to judge from this distance in time but there’s no question about him being an effective officer.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Never heard that, but I am only an amateur enthusiast. Jackson has fascinated me for years. As an aside, I once read that 10% of the arms laid down in Appomattox were still in .69 caliber. Smooth bore or rifled, the all used round ball, or buck&ball. I also know that Texans figured prominently at Chancellorsville
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I may have mis-spoke about Chancellorsville. The Texans saved Lee’s day at the Battle of the Wilderness, virtually in the same area, one year later
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

barbarossa wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:15 am Makes a person think if Stonewall had not been shot would Gettysburg ever of happened or if it did would the Confederacy have won the battle. I believe he was the best General they had a natural strategist
+1

His loss was devastating to General Lee. And Gettysburg was the high water mark of the Confederacy. History might have turned out vastly different.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner