Ceramic ... bullets?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Ceramic ... bullets?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

On a pre-flintlock forum I haunt, the subject of the projectiles used in their matchlocks by Japanese samurai came up. It would seem that Japan's total lack of lead resources resulted in unglazed ceramic round balls being used in battle. It would be quite instructive to see a side-by-side chronograph and ballistic gelatin penetration test of ceramic vs. lead.

"Matchlock Gun Shot
Samurai used matchlock guns. We know that. But what was the shot made of?
Most were lead, being easy to melt and cast into the required sized shot, and as Japan does not have natural resources of lead, it had to be imported. Tests on lead shot from the Sengoku (Warring States) period has shown that the majority of lead originated in what is now Thailand.
Lead was also recyclable. After battles, farmers would search for the used lead shot and sell it back to the samurai.
However, in some battles, instead of using expensive lead shot, matchlock gun squads were supplied with Tsuchi-dama, being shot made of ceramics. Unglazed ceramic shot was called Suyaki-dama, and these have been found in various areas, particularly around modern day Aichi Prefecture. Aichi is still home to 2 of the 6 famed kiln regions within Japan, Seto and Tokoname, and these areas were tasked with producing shot for Sengoku samurai."
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Ceramic ... bullets?

Post by gamekeeper »

When I worked for Westley Richards I unloaded a few Indian and Afghanistan matchlocks that were loaded with stones sometimes several small stones wrapped in cloth.
Quite a few were sold still loaded :shock:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I bet they worked OK under the conditions they were used. I've shot bullets made of plastic, wax, potmetal (melted down an old carburetor) wood, and in shotguns used marbles, pieces of broken glass, ball bearings, roller bearings, but lead has always worked the best.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd bet the ceramic was a bit more velocity but lacked the down range energy.
I made clay slugs from modeling clay- they go SPLAT! on impact.

Years ago I loaded some confetti in 12 ga and slipped them into a buddies bucket of shells. He called for a target , shot and the target kept going, the slight head wind brought all that confetti back at us. Of course I was rolling on the ground laughing!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Being a lot lighter than lead balls my guess is they weren't very accurate at anything very far. Likely used in close combat where accuracy wasn't a big issue. They'd destabilize pretty quickly.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Taofledermaus probably has tried em…

https://www.youtube.com/@taofledermaus/videos
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Probably!