My great nephew's deer hunt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

My great nephew's deer hunt

Post by marlinman93 »

Figured I'd follow up to my previous post about coyotes taking a young buck recently.
Last week my nephew asked me to help him figure out his new inline CVA muzzleloader and get the scope and gun sighted in. We got it quickly on paper with 250 gr. sabots and 100 gr. Pyrodex pellets. So he was ready for a special 4 day either sex hunt on his small 10 acre farm that is Thu.-Sun. (today) this week.
With everything set he and his 12 yr. old son sat with the ML and a 12 ga. shotgun just inside their old barn at sunset, and waited to see if any deer came close. About 20 minutes before sunset he said 3 does came past the barn at about 60 yds. and he asked his son if he wanted to try a shot with the shotgun, or the ML rifle? My great nephew chose the inline ML and took aim at the largest of the three does. One shot behind the shoulder took out both lungs and the doe ran about 50 ft. into a thicket and disappeared.
They walked down where the doe entered and had to crawl into this thick growth to try and find her. He'd nearly given up when his son spotted the doe and the two of them had a heck of a time dragging her out a foot at a time pulling through the heavy brush! Once out in the meadow they quickly realized this was a very large doe that went over 200 lbs. on the game scale they have in the barn!
12 yr. old Emett field dressed his doe, and helped skin it too. Dad had to get some of the gutting duties when Emett couldn't reach up inside far enough to finish the job. But it was mostly the young hunter who did it all. Everyone is extremely proud of his first year hunting, and his successful clean harvest! He was pretty excited when he called to thank me for getting the ML sighted in so he could have a great opportunity to take this doe.

The proud young hunter with his first deer!

And dad with him after the hard work was done.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My great nephew's deer hunt

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's just excellent Vall. Hope he has many more hunts while that fire burns brightly. Was this in Oregon? Washington?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:10 am That's just excellent Vall. Hope he has many more hunts while that fire burns brightly. Was this in Oregon? Washington?
They live in SW Washington and have a small 10 acre farm there. Just a few horses, some chickens, and an apple orchard, so not a farm that raises much beyond great kids!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good for You helping Him with the rifle.!! Good to See a Truly Happy Kid who can enjoy the outdoors. Twenty years ago I gave my son-in-law a scope for His CVA muzzleloader. We sighted it in and a few weeks later We were hunting in some second growth early opening day and two does came up a tree line 60 yards from Paul. looking thru the scope He could see a shot thru the brush and dropped one with a shot to the neck. when I got to Him He said it would never have happened without the scope. Made Me happy too.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:10 am That's just excellent Vall. Hope he has many more hunts while that fire burns brightly. Was this in Oregon? Washington?
ditto. this is a great story. Congrats to all . . .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's fantastic-always warms my heart to see good parents raising good kids!
Congratulations young man!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

2thumbsup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:25 pm That's fantastic-always warms my heart to see good parents raising good kids!
Congratulations young man!
He has indeed been raised well! He and his sister have chores around the farm to do, and if not done they lose privileges. They know it, and don't often press their luck. Emett has his chickens to raise, feed, and sell eggs from so he has extra spending money.
I've been helping my nephew wire their new house, and both kids have been right there helping me also anytime they aren't in school. They have fun, but they work hard too.
I was tickled to see Emett get the doe, but I smiled when my nephew sent the pictures with "first blood" on Emett's cheeks, as we did that to his dad when he shot his first deer too! Glad his dad remembered the tradition.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Now that's great, love it!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Great job! I like the old saying " Take your kids hunting and you won't be out hunting your kids".

JBowen
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

JBowen wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:59 pm Great job! I like the old saying " Take your kids hunting and you won't be out hunting your kids".

JBowen
Spot on for sure!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

These two bucks were on his property a week before the 4 day either sex season began. Unfortunately they were no shows over the 4 day hunt.