Ruger-Marlin SS45-70 trapper sale Bass Pro Cabelas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Ruger-Marlin SS45-70 trapper sale Bass Pro Cabelas

Post by Bearskinner »

I have wanted one, as I really like the trapper size lever guns, and prefer the pistol grip stock. I went to town to play with one, and the fit and finish appears really nice. Apparently Bass Pro, Cabela’s bought them all up, as they have a bunch of them in stock. Regular sale price $1,199.00, BUT Monday, and Monday only, you get an additional 10% off. That brings it down to $1080.00. Well I got sucked in, I’ll get mine Monday, might even have a couple weeks of green weather to shoot it, before it all turns white.
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Ruger-Marlin SS45-70 trapper sale Bass Pro Cabelas

Post by AJMD429 »

Pretty nice guns for sure.

People gripe on the price - but $1,200 now would equal about $200 "back in the day" so many of us 'baby boomers' who remember saving up and buying a really nice rifle for $200 back in high school or college can just as easily (probably moreso actually) save up $1,200 now and buy a nice rifle still.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:25 am .
Pretty nice guns for sure.

People gripe on the price - but $1,200 now would equal about $200 "back in the day" so many of us 'baby boomers' who remember saving up and buying a really nice rifle for $200 back in high school or college can just as easily (probably moreso actually) save up $1,200 now and buy a nice rifle still.
Yeah good point! this is the reality of cash values. Bearskinner is gonna love that gun. I wonder if I could trade a Marlin 45/70 for enough cash to buy the trapper... waiting for pictures . . . :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd like to get my paws on one but I'm working tomorrow and my closest Cabelas is 2 hours away! Probably be sold out before I could get there.

I for one have never balked at buying guns, if I WANT it I buy it. Case in point is my Rizzini 28ga , yup I bird hunt with a $4000 shotgun!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

I agree with that, buy it if you can. You never know when it’s all gonna end, and if you leave too much $$$ to your kids, they will just buy stupid sh!+ with it.
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah my biggest-dollar firearm is my Big Horn Armory 89 in 500 S&W. $2,200 or so when I got it 8 yrs or so ago.

It is beautiful, strong, designed around the cartridge rather than adapted to it, an inch or two shorter than a Marlin 1894, and about the same heft as their 'Guide Gun', and delivers well over 4,000 ft-lbs with a near-half-inch meplat. The stock and balance are such that even the heaviest loads are pleasant and feel like shooting a 20 gauge slug gun.

But I didn't at all 'need' it. I can't think of anything I'll ever shoot with it that would notice if instead I didn't 'just' shoot it with one of my 45-70, 444 Marlin, or 454 Casull leverguns, or for that matter a 44 Mag or 45 Colt levergun. In fact, since the biggest toughest things where I roam are whitetail deer, wild dog packs, and two-legged predators, I doubt the 500 S&W Model 89 would garner different results than a 357 Mag levergun 90% of the time.

But I got it for the same reason I got my Ruger Hawkeye 'Alaskan' in 375 Ruger...as I told my wife. "We have to think of the safety of our children, and the other day back at the sandpit (behind our house), I saw some tracks, and I'm not sure, but they could have been CAPE BUFFALO tracks...!!!".

Sometimes you just have to get 'that' gun...for the sake of the children. :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:43 pm
Sometimes you just have to get 'that' gun...for the sake of the children. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny, Y2K says that to me all the time.

No conflict of interest there!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I went and bought one at Bass Pro in Grapevine yesterday. I 'just happen" to have a Banish 46 suppressor to use on it. (had to order an 11/16 to 5/8 adapter though)
It looks and shoulders good. I like it so far. Length of pull is a little on the short side for me, and I hardly ever notice that.
I would have preferred that it was drilled and tapped for a side-mounted receiver sight, but I can fix that if I ever feel the need.
I see a range day in my near future
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

vancelw wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:56 am I went and bought one at Bass Pro in Grapevine yesterday. I 'just happen" to have a Banish 46 suppressor to use on it. (had to order an 11/16 to 5/8 adapter though)
It looks and shoulders good. I like it so far. Length of pull is a little on the short side for me, and I hardly ever notice that.
I would have preferred that it was drilled and tapped for a side-mounted receiver sight, but I can fix that if I ever feel the need.
If I'm not mistaken, Skinner should have a peep that mounts right up on top of the receiver.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

RIDERED350r wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:00 pm
vancelw wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:56 am I went and bought one at Bass Pro in Grapevine yesterday. I 'just happen" to have a Banish 46 suppressor to use on it. (had to order an 11/16 to 5/8 adapter though)
If I'm not mistaken, Skinner should have a peep that mounts right up on top of the receiver.
It came with a Skinner peep. I like Skinner sights and have many of them in various configurations, but a side-mounted peep is more precisely adjustable.

Notice the rear screw is in a slotted hole for windage adjustment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

vancelw wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:43 pm
RIDERED350r wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:00 pm
It came with a Skinner peep. I like Skinner sights and have many of them in various configurations, but a side-mounted peep is more precisely adjustable.

Notice the rear screw is in a slotted hole for windage adjustment.
Ah, gotcha and understood