Trouble with a Ruger.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Trouble with a Ruger.

Post by Bullard4075 »

I bought my wife a Ruger LCP II "Lite Rack" in 22 LR. Right out of the box it would only fire 2 maybe 3 times out of 10. Single loading,repeated restrikes,different brands no change. Light strikes the norm. Cleaned,bought a spring kit designed to cure this problem all to no avail.There is a problem here if nothing else the number of videos on You Tube about. Any of you had problems with this gun. I guess what I'm looking for is a "balance" point of fixing?? it myself with a Galloway spring/trigger kit or returning it for service to Ruger.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Re: Trouble with a Ruger.

Post by Bullard4075 »

The problem is that we really like the gun. :D :D
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
rgates
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rgates »

I can't give you any advice on fixing that LCP II 22. I bought one new, had the same problems you are having. Tried 8 different brands/types of cartridges, nothing would work for more than one or two shots. I tried two new magazines with the same poor results. Called Ruger and ended up sending the gun back to them three times. It never worked properly. After the third time I told them I did not want that gun back, refund or send me a Wrangler or something that would actually function correctly. The sent a new LCP II 22 for which I had to pay my FFL a transfer fee. It would cycle full magazines of loaded rounds through which the first one would not. I didn't even shoot the second one, just sold it to the guy that taught my concealed carry course. Told him the whole story and that I had no idea what the second gun would do. He seemed happy, I have not had any complaints from him. I would suggest you contact Ruger and they will send you a box and return shipping label. Good luck. If it had functioned as well as my LCP II .380 I would still own the .22.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ruger customer service is so odd. They fixed a large frame.44 Magnum Vaquero for me last year and only charged shipping.
It’s still worth giving them a call.
I have one of the LCP II LR, .22s and it’s never given me a problem. I put a Ruger threaded barrel in it a while ago and it is still working perfectly. It’s been my backyard, yard work gun since I bought it.

Hope you get it working, they are fun little pistols!

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Always send it back before trying to fix it yourself- you could void any warranty by trying yourself', or they might have a savvy tech ( they aren't smiths anymore) that sees where you scratched finish, peeled over a pin, etc and tell you it's been monkied with and then you are stuck.
By sending it back its going to those who know the firearm best.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Call Ruger and they will make it right. They no charged me on rebarreling and refinishing a M77 that had been rechambered and ringed after I had agreed to pay for it.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I have generally had nothing but good to say about Ruger's customer service department. I even sent them a 30+ year old Blackhawk .45 Colt because the chambers were oversize and of unequal diameters and they replaced the cylinder and shipped it back to me at N/C. Another time I shipped a SBH back to them because the front sight was soldered on canted, misaligned with the length of the barrel. They sent it back but the person doing the final polish rounded off the sharp edges of the front sight so I sent it back again. In the end, they sent me an entirely new revolver. I don't believe I'm hard to please but these issues shouldn't have been present in a new gun. They stood by their warranty and I'm happy with their policies.

BUT, several years ago my shooting partner and I were shooting a SBH that he'd bought from a friend and he suddenly remarked that the front sight had moved; the barrel had rotated. I suggested he take it to a gunsmith to have the barrel tightened but when he picked it up from the 'smith, he was shown that the barrel had cracked almost half its length under the ejector rod housing. My friend is a cautious, conservative loader and his loads were about 3 grains less than listed maximum (19 gr of 2400/240 gr bullets)

He sent it back to Ruger and was informed that because the gun had "internal modifications", the repair would not be covered under warranty. They said they would not allow the gun in its present condition to leave their factory and sent him a bill for about $460 to cover the repairs. He paid it but then had almost $1000 in the gun. He is happy with the gun but aggravated with the circumstances leading to its return.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Wife and I took the gun in question (Ruger LCP II 22 LR) out shooting again. Tried various different ammo (all high speed) and had the same problems ,stovepipes, light strikes/misfires and one not seen before. A couple times the pistol would reload but then not fire as if the firing pin had not reset. Again the wife commented on how much she liked the gun so it seems we (I) are going to contact Ruger to get the gun repaired or replaced. I've had nothing but good outcomes from Ruger over the years so I'm optimistic . I'll update on how it goes.
Jeff Cooper