Not coyote but dang foxes....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Not coyote but dang foxes....

Post by Nath »

.... everywhere.
Place is over run with them.
Look away now if you like fox's but I've got a job to do and these are the recent results.
HMR. 40 yard shot. Big fox made 100yards, the furthest I've had one go with a HMR shot.
Jess soon found it.
IMG_20231115_200304.jpg
IMG_20231115_195721.jpg
This one I didn't see but he barked as I was about to leave the place so I squealed like a rabbit and it came bowling in.
50yard shot ,222, forgot my ears, PARDON....
IMG_20231110_210520.jpg
These two took weeks to come to bait. Eventually they chose to come regularly at near 4am! I was there a 3am! And yes still in my PJs!
222@75 yds.
IMG_20231108_051740.jpg
Down to an acceptable level again for now but the phone will ring again no doubt. That's four of eight in the past three weeks!
N.

This little one dodges me though, she is smart.
IMG-20231115-WA0000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Not coyote but dang foxes....

Post by jeepnik »

Nath, doesn't matter what side of the pond, predatory canines wreak havoc on cattle, sheep, goats and other domesticated critters. If we don't control their numbers they can cost folks a fair bit of their livelyhood.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

jeepnik wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:34 am Nath, doesn't matter what side of the pond, predatory canines wreak havoc on cattle, sheep, goats and other domesticated critters. If we don't control their numbers they can cost folks a fair bit of their livelyhood.
Absolutely. They also prey on ground nesting birds over here also..
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The past few weeks I've noticed a lot more fox activity here, seems like as soon as the sun goes down they are out and barking which drives Parker nuts! She gets her hackles up and barks and barks until I call her off.

Not sure if the adage of if you have foxes you don't have coyotes is true but I'm not hearing the song dogs anymore here.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

You're doing good! Sure brings back memories, used to hunt and trap foxes in 70's, me and my best friend. That was before coyote ever showed here. I remember I shot 3 in one day, my buddy doing the calling. We used 22 magnum or sometimes a shotgun, according to terrain. Fox pelts where good $, and we trapped plenty muskrat, few coon & possum, he got an occasional mink.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Seems like you and Jess are darn fine team, I bet the local farmers are well pleased.... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:01 am Seems like you and Jess are darn fine team, I bet the local farmers are well pleased.... :wink:
It's bought me a lot of freedom and shooting rights over the years John.

Thanks everyone.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Wow! Big foxes! I have never run across any that large in the America South West.

EDIT: This is size fox I saw a lot in the Sonoran Desert of SW Arizona ..
fox.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JimT on Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I have a couple of game cameras set up in my driveway and I get both coyotes and foxes almost every night. Like you point out, Jim, they're much smaller than the ones Nath is getting over there.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:46 am The past few weeks I've noticed a lot more fox activity here, seems like as soon as the sun goes down they are out and barking which drives Parker nuts! She gets her hackles up and barks and barks until I call her off.

Not sure if the adage of if you have foxes you don't have coyotes is true but I'm not hearing the song dogs anymore here.
Nope. We have both coyotes and red foxes.

The fox population is smaller but they literally live right across the street from one another.

When the foxes showed up they cleaned out a feral cat population which angered the ones who fed them. So you had the cat lovers and the fox lovers both insisting that the city take their desired action. Fox lovers won. Now the foxed will take small dogs right off the leash.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I really enjoyed the desert foxes in the Tularosa Basin of south-central New Mexico. Very nicely colored little guys and the only skin I had in the game was to spot one and then point it out to visitors to Oliver Lee State Park.
In southern Oregon we had both red foxes and gray foxes, and the grays were a particular menace to anyone who kept chickens or any other small critters -- probably cats, too, but I quit cats years ago.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Cats Bill- CATS!!! COME 'ON MAN! :lol:
I've never been a cat lover or even a liker as I'm quite allergic to them.
The people that say oh you'd like my cat it's just like a dog...um no its not, if it was it would greet you at the door, go out to krap, jump into a partially frozen lake to fetch a duck.
Let the yotes eat em!
I knew a snake breeder that fed feral cats to his snakes, claimed they were real high in fat for egg laying, dunno if true or not.

Oh I still see both fox and coyote droppings at the farm, im sure the yodel dogs have learned to keep their mouths shut.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Will, hard to believe but a long time ago I was young and impressionable, and after going to see "Lady and the Tramp" as a grasshopper, convinced the folks (Mom was easier) we needed a Siamese. Old SooLing was a good cat as cats go. Then I discovered dogs and never went back. But I do acknowledge that there are a few good cats out there.
(And I never got over Peggy Lee ... :D )
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Well I've just got in from rating on a local farm and seen another fox walking across a field a few hundred yards away in my thermal!
Never ending job!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Looks like you are over run Nath!
Ok guys we gotta send Nath more bullets! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Friends out in Ennis, TX have a bunch of yotes around. I need to get a dying rabbit call, or use my squirrel disk squeaker to call them a bit closer and use my 17 WSM on them. 25 grains at nearly 3000 fps makes them slough off the mortal coil really well. I need a green spotlight. All it should take is to pop 1 or 2 for the rest to una** the A.O.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Nath faces many of the same problems we face with coyotes. They breed fast, are very destructive and have somehow garnered the support of ignorant urbanites. Here, it isn’t until one looses a pet or even child that many keep their Disneyesque views of wildlife. Even with these losses some never learn.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

jeepnik wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:12 am Nath faces many of the same problems we face with coyotes. They breed fast, are very destructive and have somehow garnered the support of ignorant urbanites. Here, it isn’t until one looses a pet or even child that many keep their Disneyesque views of wildlife. Even with these losses some never learn.
Absolutely 👍🏻
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

We haven’t been able to shoot foxes here for over 40 years. I heard it was the result of some foxhound owners in the state legislature. There are lots of grays and some reds, coyotes too, maybe a few red wolves left from the reintroduction. Plenty of cats running loose too, these canids need to tighten up.