The Lord blessed me

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

The Lord blessed me

Post by wvfarrier »

I tagged this guy at 8:12 am this morning. He actually attacked me. I was walking into the woods and made a couple "social" buck grunts and he launched himself out of the foliage about 20 feet away from me and charged right at me. He made one loud grunt as he came at me. I was fortunate to have my wife's crossbow (I jacked up my shoulder working with one of our horses) and not a compound and was able to snap it up and shoot him. He turned slightly and instead of hitting him at the neck/spine junction (it was all I could see for a shot) I hit him in the neck. The shot severed both arteries and clipped his spine. He dropped in his tracks and that was all she wrote. Total time from shot to drag was less than 2 minutes. Freaked me out though.....I dont think I could have made the shot with a compound it happened too fast. I will say that the Rocky Mountain Switchblade broadhead performed perfectly. It made a monster cut which really helped. I was never a fan of crossbows until today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Re: The Lord blessed me

Post by Pat C »

Nice buck ! Been watching them last week or so seen several already chasing does in my yard and in my travels.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice shot!!!!

That rack would have done some damage for sure!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Wow! Someone was indeed watching over you! Awesome you were able to take such a quick shot and be successful
Congrats! 🍻
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

If I had missed, it would have been a knife fight. One of the few times I wasnt carrying a sidearm while hunting
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ya done good!
Years ago we were doing a deer drive(legal here) and one of the drivers pushed out a big bodied deer about 50 yds from me. I drilled it with a slug and it went down in a heap. The next deer through was a doe and when she got to the first one she hit the brakes, spun and headed straight for me at full tilt. I was leaning against a small hickory and when I leaned away to try and turn her back she tried to jump over me! My barrel wasn't going to make contact but she was that close as I just kind of pushed the gun towards her and pulled the trigger. Not from the hip but not shouldered either. My slug caught her a bit low on the ribs but came out opposite but almost top of back! One of the drivers saw it happen and was dumbfounded the deer tried to jump over me and not spin and run.
The other guys got on the radios asking what was going on and the reply was you're not going to believe it! When they showed up and heard the story, saw the hunk of lungs 12ft up a tree did they believe it.
The first deer was a shed buck. I think that was the 1st year we could shoot 2 deer at a time.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Yes he did! Especially by not being injured or killed, and with a fine Buck! And the truth for everyone to know, the rut and everything in the wild is real, and the reality is often dangerous or harsh! Congratulations on a dandy buck and story!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Nice mature dominate buck protecting his territory. Great story and glad you wasn't hurt.

JBowen
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Very nice!!!!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

wvfarrier wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:47 pm I tagged this guy at 8:12 am this morning.
fine looking animal, and a really fine hunting tale. I bet that one will get retold at the camp fire. Good day all the way around!
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

congrats! that's a nice buck! and nice shooting! I also have a super jacked up shoulder so I had to switch to a crossbow about 5 years ago. The crossbow is awesome.

I also had a buck charge me once - but luckily I was in a tree stand. it was 2014 I think. I was up in a tree watching bucks running around like crazy chasing does and each other and grunting. so I tried to imitate their grunt with my own voice and one of the bucks immediately ran out of sight and then suddently came running right for my tree, so I shot him running almost right under my climbing stand. It was all pretty exciting. blackpowder rifle though, not archery.

I've noticed that before. Deer seem to be really good at knowing exactly where a sound is coming from.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Amazing. And you kept a cool head for the shot, awesome 👍🏻.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'd have been so shocked I'd have just stood there with my teeth in mouth and gotten gored. Way to keep your cool!