Anyone using cast in muzzleloader

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Anyone using cast in muzzleloader

Post by GunnyMack »

I've been toying with the idea of trying cast with a sabot in my Knight muzzle loader.
I shoot 2 50gr 777 pellets and .452 XTPs in sabot, just thinking ...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone using cast in muzzleloader

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Will, I will cast some .690 round balls today in my new Lee mold so I can be ready to rock and roll when my 13-bore flintlock smoothie arrives ... 8)
Not quite what you had in mind, I know.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Those won't fit in my 50 sabots Bill!
I'm thinking about 240-250 gr 430s or 452s in sabots.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I hate to point you elsewhere, but you may get some more info and experiences over on the Modern Muzzleloading Forum.

Related to your post, the best sabots in my TC Omega are the "Harvester Crushed Rib" sabots, the tiny ribs allow easy loading and they're super accurate.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Will, do you need any .430/.452 samples to play with? If so, let me know as I have several flavors. Happy to drop a few in the mail to you.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Again I'm just fishing for info if anyone has tried cast in sabots- the stuff I think about as I'm heading out the door sometimes...
The load im using now is fine and I'll probably never try cast ! :lol:

Let me think on it Bill!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

As an instructor I brought a .50 cal Knight inline to the live fire field day portion of a few Hunter Ed classes.
Loaded with 1 pellet and a sabot with a Lee .452-230 TC bullet.
Popping balloons, exploding water filled milk jugs. The kids loved it.
The other instructors, being good friends and into much more traditional muzzle loaders, never let me live it down.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I love my Great Plains rifle in .54 but I don't do irons well anymore, must be getting old?!
It's a round ball twist at 1:66 iirc...( old again) and I have yet to get a ball out of a deer to inspect.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Will, those Lyman Great Plains rifles had good barrels once broken in. (I think it was Ross Seyfried who recommended 30 strokes with purple Scotchbrite ... )
I had one in .54 RB twist as well. Good shooter but I never had a shot at a deer with it.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Cast lead round ball, works great.....

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Haven't used a sabot in nearly 40 years. The last ones I used were in a CVA Blazer and were pushing a .490 round ball down the bore. I know the technology has come a long way since then, but haven't tried to keep up with it. The times I've seen the ammo for sale it's been more expensive than any handload I run in centerfires, so was left wondering "What's the point?" I've been curious about it, just not enough to lay out scarce funds to investigate. That being said, I'd be more tempted to shoot a soft cast with a sabot than a jacketed bullet.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Kind of what I was thinking Paul, with availability issues of jacketed pistol bullets being more miss than hit I could have a mould that would give double duty for both my 44 special and magnum and muzzle loader.

I also reached out to NP bullets last year and got quite a selection of samples to try but none shot as well as my current load combo.

I do have quite a large supply of Remington 240 semi jacketed hollow points, I recently shot them and they do 3" at 100 and not far off POA/POI from my load- really want to try that on deer!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I use CAST SABOT but I do not cast them myself. I shoot .50 Thompson Center Hawken with the black plastic sabots and a LSWCHP that 250 grain .44 cal. It does hold a good pattern but I have only shot out to about 75 yards. Hoping to use during deer season this year. This rifle has never drawn blood to my knowledge.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”