Mod 64 day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Mod 64 day

Post by Drawdown »

I'm torn between 2 loves for which rifle I'm gonna use for this deer season, rifle season opening this Saturday. But for most hunting around here, I believe I'm better off with this Mod 64. For surebits my favorite. Did a little woods hunting practice today. Set a deer target at 40yds and the black circle at 36 for a quick follow-up shot.
20231107_131351.jpg
20231107_132548.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Mod 64 day

Post by Drawdown »

I was standing shooting off hand, quickly shoulder my rifle shoot first a well aimed shot at yhe deer, then cycle and shoot as quickly as possible a follow up at the target. Hey I'm tickled with my follow-up, but scratching my head on the deer! Barrel was scrubbed clean last winter and these where not my best loads, maybe the leg shot was 1st shot :lol: ?
Before I left I shot 4 my hunting loads into the tree at 36yds!
20231107_133715.jpg
20231107_133347.jpg
20231107_133347.jpg
Reconfirm once again the effectiveness of a receiver sight in the woods for a quick shot, my follow-ups where without thought!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Very nice. I have a 64 I picked up several years ago I need to get out with. It was d&t on the right side for a Weaver side mount. So I picked up the proper mount and a Lyman receiver sight for the left side and it wears both now.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've got a strange relationship with the model 64. My grandfather carried one when he was a Maine game warden in the Allagash (always seemed an odd choice to me). I like them cause my grandfather had em, but I don't care for pistol grips on my leverguns.
I have 3......and a half. A pre war standard short rifle in 30WCF, a pre war standard rifle in 30WCF, and a post war standard rifle in 32WS.
On the far left is the "half 64". It's an early rifle from 1899 that was returned to Winchester in the 30s for rebarrel. It had a model 64 front clip put on it in 32WS. They replaced the bolt, slicked the whole thing up, and installed a 56 Lyman receiver sight.
Of all of them, this is the one I shoot and hunt with. It doesn't look like much, but is in the top 3 most accurate Winchester levers I've ever owned. A fantastic rifle. The 64 configuration (minus pistol grip for me) is one of the best balanced Winchester levers ever made.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Love the Winchester models 64, 65, and 71. I aspire to own the three rifle set one day
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

When I think of the Model 64 I think of the 25-35 round, because that's what the old family rifle is chambered in. I was custodian of the rifle for a while, but never got a chance to take game with it. I remember marveling at the accuracy using factory ammo (all I had at the time).

My uncles had been after my grandma to get them "a deer rifle" and one day she DID. She came home and told them she'd made a deal on a rifle but that the gun store owner was fixing something or other on it and so she'd pick it up later in the day. "What is it?" they asked. "A deer rifle" she told them.

She brought the rifle and some ammo home later on and they commenced to shoot it out back, and weren't doing all that well with it, despite the fact they'd been shooting a lot of rimfire through their old Winchester 67. She came out and said "Let me try." "Oh Mom! You don't even know what it is!" they told her. She took the rifle and proceeded to show them that it shot quite well. She'd no idea of model numbers or calibers - but she sure knew how to shoot that old rifle! Over the next few years they proceeded to take every species of game in Arizona with that rifle. My brother got his first whitetail with it as well. It is a cherished part of the family arsenal.

So yeah, you can say I like the 64, and you've got a lovely example right there, even if it DOES seem odd to me seeing that it's in 30-30 instead of 25-35! Oh, I think my brother cornered the market on 25-35 brass and Hornady 117 RN bullets in his part of the country. We don't need the reformed brass I came up with way back when.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've only had the mdl 64A, which as far as I know was only available in .30-30. The 1st one I won as part of a ship's raffle in late 1972. It's only the 2nd of two $5 raffles I entered in while in the Navy. After winning that I was forbidden from buying my tickets in the Officer's Wardroom on payday while paying the officers! We had several more raffle sales on the ship, but neither I nor any officers ever won any of them... Karma is a B....!

Anyway, in early 1974 while attending college my apartment was broken into and this and another rifle were stolen, along with a several thousand dollars of camera equipment. I've heard it said that one can be forgiven for being a Liberal, until you've been the victim of a crime... That certainly rings true for me, tho' I might have only been a quasi-Liberal... as I was still quite Conservative in my views. Anyway, my insurance was unable to find a replacement for either it or the 44 Mag mdl 94 and I mourned their loss for many years. Shortly after joining this forum, one of the members was thinning his collection and among them was a pristine mdl 64A. He described it as LNIB, I believe he could've left off the "like". :D Now it resides in my safe, and so far, has only harvested one deer. My original 64A came with sling studs and sling, this replacement was missing the sling... but took to my original sling very nicely!
DSCF0022.JPG
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Got one several years ago zero $$$ just because it was my father-in law's and he ask me to safeguard it for all the years he went to FL for the winter. It is in .32 Win spcl cal. Picku 6 boxes of rem ammo at a closeout sale for 6$$ a box. Rifle wears a Redfield peep sight and is a real shooter.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I've got a 64 Deluxe that appears to have ridden a lot of miles in a saddle scabbard to where it isn't so deluxe anymore, but it's still tight and shoots good. I feel the 64 is possibly the easiest handling offhand hunting rifle ever, need to get mine out more often.

I passed up a cheap 64 in .32WS with a broken hammer spring once, I'm still beating myself up over it.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

NICE!!! :mrgreen:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Got mine sighted in with both the Lyman and Leupold. 31141 over 20gr. Rx7. Sat around the range till dark looking for deer.
WW2 era manufactured. 1375170
IMG_2187.jpeg
IMG_2186.jpeg
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Tycer, pure stalking rifle right there!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"