Load of BS!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Load of BS!!

Post by Pat C »

Was considering purchase of a Colt 1851 Navy online dealer.
Tell me it must go to FFL as it has a serial . I tell him they all have serials ,it's a non firearm .Proof of age is all he needs.
No company policy no exceptions, what a load of BS .

So then I call my FFL I use for transfers he tells me if it comes to him he has to log in in to computer but no paperwork .
Stills wants normal $25 transfer fee though BS AGAIN!!
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Load of BS!!

Post by RIDERED350r »

Company "policy" that goes above and beyond what the law calls for, while they have the right to impliment it, still grinds my gears.

Walmarts where I live, they require you to show a pistol permit for "pistol ammo". I guess there is no such thing as a lever action 44mag and many many others. So I guess if you are under 21 and do not have a pistol permit here, then you are out of luck as far as Walmart cares...

Glad I roll my own.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I was a Houston Police Officer at 19 years of age. I was legally prohibited from buying ammunition for my duty gun.

Silly law and I doubt that it kept anyone from doing any harm. But I would not buy a black powder gun through an FFL. That’s just odd.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I am old enough and grumpy enough that I refuse to deal with people who do those sort of things. If it's a gun I want I will find someone else to get it from who doesn't require stuff like that. There are plenty out there.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Gun laws can be complicated enough without companies making them even tougher, it happens over here too. :roll:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've run into this before, and fortunately my FFL dealer wont play the stupid game! As he told me, "Just because some others are ignorant doesn't mean I have to be too." He's always just handed the guns to me when they came in, and shook my hand. No paperwork, and no further ignorance.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Keith D
Levergunner

Post by Keith D »

I ordered a Colt 1851 Navy earlier this year on the internet. Was delivered to my front door with no paperwork. Too bad I lost it in a tragic canoe incident not long after.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:43 am I've run into this before, and fortunately my FFL dealer wont play the stupid game! As he told me, "Just because some others are ignorant doesn't mean I have to be too." He's always just handed the guns to me when they came in, and shook my hand. No paperwork, and no further ignorance.
That's what I thought mine would say after 25 plus years doing transfers with him. His words were if I receive it I have to log it in to my computer system.Which is same price as transfer.

I'll pass on this one.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Here both muzzle loaders and air guns are considered FIREARMS, even though the federal government does not.
It could be that the seller is in a state that follows that stupid law...?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Then there are the FFLs who will not accept a long gun except from another dealer. :twisted:
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:02 pm Then there are the FFLs who will not accept a long gun except from another dealer. :twisted:
That's why I never fooled with C&R. Lots of dealers will not honor it. It was great buying surplus guns back in the day ,now not so much.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I think part of the problem or the problem is dealers are paranoid about being involved in a lawsuit or other legal action resulting from a shooting.

Several years ago, I recall reading of a shooting. Two children found the home owners’ pistol and the visiting child shot himself. Investigation showed that the pistol came from an out of state dealer. ATF found he was in compliance with all Federal and state laws for the sale and transfer. The receiving FFL then sold and transferred the pistol to the homeowner after doing the background check and waiting period. ATF and the local PD determined the receiving/selling FFL complied with all Federal and state firearms and the homeowner complied with local or state storage laws.

Even though in both FFLs were found in compliance with the laws, the dead child’s parents sued the homeowner’s insurance carrier as well as both FFL's for the child’s death. The out of state FFL hired an instate attorney to represent him in court. As it turned out, the judge determined that he was in compliance and dismissed the case against him. The other FFL also hired an attorney and had to testify in court about how he conducted the transfer. If I recall correctly, his name and business were identified in the news stories. The judge also dismissed the case against the in-state FFL. The parents then continued on with their legal case and I think they also named the pistol manufacture as being liable for the wrongful death.

I cannot recall how the case turned out as it faded from the news. But the press and local TV reporters used the shooting as another example of just how weak US guns laws are, stronger laws would have prevent the child’s death, and presented the local FFL and his business in a negative light.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Pat C wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:44 am
marlinman93 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:43 am I've run into this before, and fortunately my FFL dealer wont play the stupid game! As he told me, "Just because some others are ignorant doesn't mean I have to be too." He's always just handed the guns to me when they came in, and shook my hand. No paperwork, and no further ignorance.
That's what I thought mine would say after 25 plus years doing transfers with him. His words were if I receive it I have to log it in to my computer system. Which is same price as transfer.

I'll pass on this one.
He's only perpetuating the previous FFL's mistake by doing this base solely on the fact another FFL made the same mistake. Where does it end? It ends when someone decides it's stupid, unnecessary, and not required by ATF. Too bad your FFL doesn't know the rules he's supposed to abide by.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Good FFL right there 👍🏻
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:57 am Gun laws can be complicated enough without companies making them even tougher, it happens over here too. :roll:
Worse IMO than companies making up rules and "laws" that don't actually exist, are the sellers who state things like "No sales to CA, NJ, NY, IL, MD" etc etc. We call those people enemy collaborators.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

CAS, in their defense I will say some of those FFLs probably believe they are collaborating AGAINST the enemy, those states whose lawmakers very clearly hate firearms and make it hard not only on their citizens and in-state FFLs to obtain and transfer them, but do all they can to make it hard on FFLs in other states to ship them for transfer. Have you sold a rifle to a guy in Kalifornia lately? Your regular FFL is very likely NOT among the select few out-of-state dealers who have submitted to being vetted and approved by Kali. In other words, Kali has created its own private restricted network of all the other FFLS in America, few of whom qualify for Kali approval. How this is not a restraint of interstate commerce baffles me.
Then there are the really reactionary states like New Jersey, where it is hard to buy an adult AIR RIFLE without going through an FFL! :twisted:
I can't blame an FFL for taking a look at those Commie-inspired restrictions, washing his hands of playing their game and basically telling the would-be buyer: You elected these governments. You live with your mess.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I understand some FFLs being leery of selling to certain states. Living in rural northern NYS I can tell you I've opened a GB listing more times than I can remember only to see it say "this seller does not sell to NY residents"... I'm talking for things like lever action rifles and other items that are perfectly legal here. Honestly, that grinds my gears terribly. I understand they have the right to implement that policy, but to punish the hundreds of thousands of us who never miss an election and try our best to oust the tyrants here by refusing the sale of legal items, I find to be pretty unfair if not insulting and giving in to the demands of the scum running this state. We upstaters are the textbook definition of the tyranny of the majority. A county by county election map of NYS shows a very red state outside of NYC and a few small pockets sparsely scattered elsewhere. It's the splintering of our community imposed by like minded folks, and it really does nothing for our cause. There is a big difference between refusing the sale of something that is currently not legal here and refusing ALL sales to an entire state turning your back on patriots behind enemy lines. I prefer the Winston Churchill doctrine of resist, resist, resist to the Neville Chamberlain doctrine of appease and retreat.

Apologies for getting a bit political here. But that subject strikes a nerve with me.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ridered, you make a good case for the other side of the coin. So many states are "run" by urban liberals who wield the majority of the votes.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Don't have an FFL around here that I know of that will deal with California.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Anything an 01FFL can legally ship to an 01FFL in say Texas or anywhere else, you can legally ship to an 01FFL in New York.

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:31 am You elected these governments.
Did we?
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:18 am Ridered, you make a good case for the other side of the coin. So many states are "run" by urban liberals who wield the majority of the votes.
Thank you Sir.

I'm a strong proponent of we the infringed upon standing shoulder to shoulder.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Like Jim and others, I don't need to buy from someone who isn't interested in my business. If you make it harder to buy from you than the law requires, you don't want my business. :evil:
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:18 pm Like Jim and others, I don't need to buy from someone who isn't interested in my business. If you make it harder to buy from you than the law requires, you don't want my business. :evil:
I agree
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Well somebody finally bought that Navy Colt ,it went through couple cycles ending no bids until someone either accepted this fact or didn't realize it.

I almost sent the seller an email stating hiw ridiculous it was and that's why they had no bids .

I guess crow would have been what's for dinner had I.