Torque specs for lever guns?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce in WV
Levergunner 1.0

Torque specs for lever guns?

Post by Bruce in WV »

I just bought a in/lb Weaver torque wrench and am going through my gun cabinet and resetting critical tolerances of my rifles, primarily stock screws and optic bases and rings.
I got to the 1894 lever gun, reset the optics screws and am scratching my head over what else to check.

Q: Are there any action or stock screws that requires specific torque settings in an 1894 lever action rifle? If so, which ones, and what are the specs?

Background (added): There have been many threads asking similar questions over the past 2 decades (or more) on various forums, and there were some serious answers by very experienced shooters who have studied the variables related to accuracy and durability. But the well-researched and thoughtful responses were by an earlier generation of forum members. There may be new information based on tighter manufacturing specs, new metals (mostly softer), and better understanding and mensuration of the physics involved in cycling the action and firing a cartridge.
Google found 191 related posts on the Marlin forum in 0.21 secs!
I’ve found that updated information can be very valuable! Thus todays question.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Torque specs for lever guns?

Post by marlinman93 »

I have a calibrated wrist. Never used anything else to adjust screw tension on any of my gun screws, and think it's a waste of time.
There are machinist tables around that list every screw by diameter and thread size and will work. But why waste the energy and time?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Torque specs for lever guns?

Post by GunnyMack »

In gummsmiff skool we were taught tight is tight, too tight is broke!

In the old days screws were 'timed' or 'clocked' so the slot ran parallel to the length of the part. A tang screw would be set so the slot ran from heel to muzzle. So if you tighten said screw and it goes past its been over tightened( compressing the wood) .
I drank the kool-aid and bought a torque driver- guess what? The little torx / Allen key will do the same thing and not strip out the heads on scope bases. A little dab of blue loctite and tighten is all ya need.
On internal parts that are screwed together you can play with how tight/ loose they are and check function that will tell you more of how it should be.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!