Lever Action shotgun ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Lever Action shotgun ?

Post by jnyork »

I recently scored a copy of the 1932 Stoeger Arms catalog, this being the predecessor to the Shooter's Bible books . In it, I ran across a listing for a Marlin 410 lever action shotgun, looks to be made on the 1894 action. $32.40 in those days of the Great Depression was a month's wages for a skilled worker if he could find a job.

I have never seen or heard of these before, wonder if anyone here has one?
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Lever Action shotgun ?

Post by JBowen »

I saw an old Marlin lever 410 at a gun show a long time ago. I thought it was pretty neat as I had never seen one before.
I am thinking it was on a long action like a 93, 36 or 336. It was too long ago to be sure.
Winchester made a 9410 for a while. That is what I would like to have in my collection.

JBowen
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

I might be wrong, but didn’t Henry come out with a .410 lever action for a while too?
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Marlin made a recent run of these a few years back. And again, they did not last long in the catalog.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I believe some of them were given out as a premium for having a certain amount of stock in Marlin at the time
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Seen and handled a couple.

Seemed decent and I wanted one but not enough to buy one.

Looked fun if one hunted with 410 though.

I believe a 410 cycles through a 444 Marlin but never tried it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Bearskinner wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:56 pm I might be wrong, but didn’t Henry come out with a .410 lever action for a while too?
They are in the current catalog. The 410 is in their 45-70 action, which is more less a 336 style. My son bought one just for grins. He shoots sporting clays with it. He doesn't score any where near as well as with his 12 ga double, but he gets lots of laughs and smiles at the range. He actually gets better scores with it than some of the guys with their big doubles. He's thinking with tungsten he might even be able to hunt grouse with it.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

"These were only made between 1929 - 1932 as a stockholder's promotional firearm. Marlin offered the Model 410 as a free gun with the purchase of four shares of Marlin preferred stock at $25 per share. Manufactured between 1929 and 1932, a unique venture for the Marlin Company, this lever action shotgun is based on the Model 1893 action with a longer loading port, modified tube magazine that holds 5 shots and a smoothbore barrel chambered for the .410 shot shell with improved cylinder choke."

Info came from here, includes pics : https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101702134
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Based on the 1893 action…about the same as the 336….Old Savage has one of these shotguns I’ve been trying to get for some time now. He got it from some homeless guy for $20.

Rare guns with plenty of condition is better than any 401K plan.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I know where one of those is in a corner of a closet in a farmhouse in east Texas. Neat gun and it feeds and functions just fine.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've owned several Marlin Model 410 lever action shotguns. They were built in the early 1930's after Marlin had stopped production of the Model 93, and had leftover receivers with a Depression ongoing, and needed to generate funds. The first weren't sold, but were offered to buyers of 4 shares of Marlin stock as a bonus. But the stock incentive program was a big failure at that time, so Marlin offered these guns to anyone at the $32 price.
The three I've owned were all wonderful guns and cycled perfectly, and shot great. The balance and swing was amazing as they had true shotgun barrels, not heavy rifle barrels chambered in .410 like newer ones do. I took mine out to our Sunday trap shoot decades ago, and got some fun reactions from guys. Some telling me I couldn't shoot at clay pigeons with a "rifle", and some telling me I was crazy to use a .410 for trap. It didn't do that well, but I only did it for fun, and it was fun!
The Model 410 today are extremely collectible, and one in nice shape can get close to $2000! They also made them in a deluxe grade with checkered stock and forearm, and those are even more rare!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i have two of these and they are great. handle really well

this one is a 'beater' but i have another one that is in high condition.
cable
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

hfcable wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:09 pm i have two of these and they are great. handle really well

this one is a 'beater' but i have another one that is in high condition.
Very nice!