Steel receiver sights for old Marlins

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Steel receiver sights for old Marlins

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Fellas, can anyone refresh me on the Redfield, and Lyman receiver sight model numbers for the Marlin 36 and 336? Have a NIB Williams FP that fits the 336s and 94s, but just can't bring myself to hang aluminum on a Model 36 square bolt. I am kinda done with tang sights as I have grown fairly crabby in my old age! :lol:
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Steel receiver sights for old Marlins

Post by Drawdown »

Bill I believe the Lyman is #66. For sure the new ones anyway, but they're aluminum, not near as good as a Williams from what I've heard. But I believe the older steel ones was also #66, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I considered one long ago for my 336, and my memory may be wrong?
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

What you need is a Lyman 56MB, an all steel receiver sight available in the 50's with either a coin-slot knob adjustment or the much better knurled target sight adjustment knob. They are spendy at around $200 but do show up on Fleabay fairly often.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Well Bill, I have 4 Redfield receiver sights here, all for different type rifles, and the only thing they have stamped on them is "Redfield". Not a model number to be had on any of mine. I bought one several years ago that the fellow said would fit on a 92 or 94 Winchester, which would also fit a Marlin 36 I suppose. But it turns out to need a rifle with a considerably wider receiver. I still have it sitting on my shelf waiting for the correct rifle to show up.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, I have lucked into Redfields that worked beautifully, and Redfields that don't, They were very good sights!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, I have lucked into Redfields that worked beautifully, and Redfields that don't. They were very good sights!