Ruger Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Ruger Marlin

Post by Pat C »

Well what do you people think of the new Ruger Marlin 1894's at $1k -$1200 ???
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger Marlin

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gimme a Rossi.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I'd rather have the Ruger any day but thinking price may not get the sales for them .
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

They probably will sale all they can make for a little while. Then the competition will tell them they are priced a little high.
Just my 2 cents,

JBowen
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Once upon a time, when the visonary that started the coompany still ran it, Ruger stood for high quality and fair pricing. Now that they are run by businessmen the quality has slipped as prices have risen. In short, I gave up buying Rugers of any stripe. there are too many other gun companies that still produce good quality arms for better prices.

By the way, have you ever heard the life span of a company.
Started by a visionary. When he leaves the company the beginning of the end happens.
Then the businessmen take over and decide to increase profits. They do this by decreasing quality and increasing prices.
As things continue to slide then come the accountants. They decide to save the company by cutting costs. This is done with poorer quality raw materials, replacing higher priced experienced workers with new hires, moving suppliers and even manufacturing off shore and purchasing other companies or product lines which also degrade.
When the accountants fail and the company is on it's last legs the lawyers come along and handle the bankruptcy and disaloution or the company. This usually results in the company and product lines being sold to another company on a downward slide of it's own. (Marlin-Remington-Ruger-?)

Ruger has hit the accountant phase. The lawyers likely won't be far behind.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Just got my latest copy of The American Rifleman with a writeup on the R-M 336 and 1894 in the Classic models with nice walnut stocks, checkering, etc. They look like extremely nice guns, and if everything Ruger makes is as nice they'll sell.
I of course never bought new Marlins, even when the Kenna Family owned Marlin, and wont start now. But I can appreciate a well made rifle with real wood, and nice fitted metal.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I thought I read tge receivers and barrels were made from forgings?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Pat C wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:11 pm Well what do you people think of the new Ruger Marlin 1894's at $1k -$1200 ???
Screenshot 2023-10-29 185349 Rossi 454.png
this is the 454 I contemplated buying. I can't buy the 1894 44 because of the rifling handicap. . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I've not seen one in person but they do look to be well fitted in the magazine articles. Ruger as did Marlin is turning out the same boring products as before, 20" barrels with hooded ramp sights and barrel bands.

The cowboy line and the guide gun configurations certainly changed the catalog for the better. It'd be nice to see Ruger producing 1894P and CP, 1894&336CB, and the 1894CL (long barrel, short mag). Short rifles would be a welcomed addition.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

With conventional rifling and finally, a 1:20 twist, I'd expect these new 1894s to be more accurate than previous versions, and with a wider range of 44 bullets. That said, I don't want or need one bad enough to cough up that kind of cash.
Last edited by Sarge on Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Sarge wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:17 am With conventional rifling and finally, a 1:20 twist, I'd expect these new 1894s to more accurate than previous versions, and with a wider range of 44 bullets. That said, I don't want or need one bad enough to cough up that kind of cash.
It seems like a lot of dinero, but if it could shoot my hand gun load it would be worth it in exchange for rifles that are gathering dust. Or a half-ounce of gold . . .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I remember when M1 Carbines were priced at $100-150 and the consensus was that it was a ripoff.

A 'reasonable' price is defined by nothing more than the demand, so time will tell.

So far the Henry and Rossi leverguns are cheaper, but perhaps the Rugerlins will be deemed good enough to compete at a higher price point.

When it comes to leverguns, I could (but wouldn't want to) make do with just a couple short-action Marlins - one in 32-20 and another in 44 Mag., and one long-action, say in 45-70. So if Ruger is the only source (although the Henry's are pretty similar) and enough people agree, they will sell at that price, as long as the quality is decent.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I dont know what an equivalent Winchester 1892 (modern Miroku made) is selling for, but i thought they were in the neighborhood of starting at $1500

If i am correct and that is the case, from a practical standpoint a thousand bucks seems like a reasonable price -- in line with a Henry Big Boy i think.

The Rossi's look great, but if you get one that needs $300 in tuning from a guru like Nate Kiowa Jones, is it a bargain? IDK -- for 1k the Rossi might work like a slicked up rifle ready for a CAS meet though.

Depends on what a guy values or is into. For some of us out there (and i know im not alone) name recognition is worth a few more bucks too
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Streetstar wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:24 am I dont know what an equivalent Winchester 1892 (modern Miroku made) is selling for, but i thought they were in the neighborhood of starting at $1500

I believe the Miroku 92s in 44 have 1:38 barrels. The draw for me of the Ruger 1894 is the 1:20 barrel. I think the Winchester 1892 is the most best and finest carbine slash short rifle on the planet, but'cept for the twist rate in the 44s . . . the Marlin 1894 I gave my son would not stabilize a 300Gr bullet with the fatal twist . . .

I looked at some 45s today advertised by sportsmans and they spec 1:38 barrels. WTH? I've never seen a 45 Colt with that twist rate, and it makes me think the website I was looking at is a fake. IDK

I'm just going to stop shopping and keep the cheap old Marlin made guide gun in 45, and be glad for it. It won't refuse any load I want.

But man those trappers are neat . . . LOL
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

TomF wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:10 am I've not seen one in person but they do look to be well fitted in the magazine articles. Ruger as did Marlin is turning out the same boring products as before, 20" barrels with hooded ramp sights and barrel bands.

The cowboy line and the guide gun configurations certainly changed the catalog for the better. It'd be nice to see Ruger producing 1894P and CP, 1894&336CB, and the 1894CL (long barrel, short mag). Short rifles would be a welcomed addition.
Agree. I recall back in the 1990's when Marlin began stepping up their game and building various 100th Anniversary models that were tributes to the 1890's Marlins. I thought those special rifles, and the non engraved lower priced versions were just great! They brought back octagon, and half octagon longer barrels, and nice checkering. Then once the anniversary years went by, they seemed to just give up and fall back and the same old same old. Hope Ruger doesn't stop at 20" carbines, but not holding my breath.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

yeah, I can certainly sympathize with having a hard time coming to grips with the current prices of many things - not just shooting sports related (have you checked the prices of homes and cars lately???!!!!)

However, the price of the new marlins does not at all seem out of line with the 'competition'. Henry's are at least a grand, japchesters are $1500, and even Rossi's are $750. The new marlin's look really really nice to me and worth the asking price.

I bought my "new" marlin 336 new almost exactly 20 years ago and paid $350 for it. but at the time I was also able to pick up a perfectly usable used car for a grand. and 20 years isn't really that long ago.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Uberti has no problem selling their dodgy levers for more money than Ruger is charging for the new Marlins.

I wonder if Ruger will do an 1895 CB. The late model Remington Marlin was the nicest handling 45-70 I've ever tried. Perhaps I should have bought that one.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Your dollar isn’t what it used to be. I have bought houses for less money than my pickup costs today.

Seen from that perspective, I’m not sure that the price is out of line.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:16 am Your dollar isn’t what it used to be. I have bought houses for less money than my pickup costs today.

Seen from that perspective, I’m not sure that the price is out of line.
One of the problems is that most people only see prices going up. They don't see the real issue is that the dollar is becoming worth less and less. And they complain about high prices instead of holding our elected officials responsible for what they are doing to the dollar.

We were in Mexico when they devalued the Peson in the 1980's. We were in Mozambique when the Meticais lost 50% value overnight. I have personally seen what inflation does to people .. the common people. The politicians usually never suffer.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah, keep in mind that a rifle is a lifetime investment that generally will not need much in the way of maintenance or repair, and take into account that the dollar is not worth nearly as much these days whether you are buying bread or gasoline or firearms or real estate.

People complaining about the cost of 22 ammunition but a brick was on sale at $10 in the 1970’s so that would probably equate to about $50-$60 now, which is about what you find the sale prices to be.

Many things that I could’ve gotten in high school (1970’s) for $200 now cost about $1,200, and that would include a decent quality basic rifle. The merchandise has changed somewhat, in that there is less walnut and blues steel and nostalgic hand-craftsmanship, but there is also much more precision, machining, interchangeable parts, and accuracy.

So I don’t see anything to complain about.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

FLINT wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:27 pm yeah, I can certainly sympathize with having a hard time coming to grips with the current prices of many things - not just shooting sports related (have you checked the prices of homes and cars lately???!!!!)

However, the price of the new marlins does not at all seem out of line with the 'competition'. Henry's are at least a grand, japchesters are $1500, and even Rossi's are $750. The new marlin's look really really nice to me and worth the asking price.

I bought my "new" marlin 336 new almost exactly 20 years ago and paid $350 for it. but at the time I was also able to pick up a perfectly usable used car for a grand. and 20 years isn't really that long ago.
Very much agree with this. I find the new Rug-Lin pricing to be very much in line with the the rest of the biggest manufacturers.....if we are talking about their MSRP.

The prices being asked and in large part paid for the first Rug-Lin SBLs and other similar late Rem-Lins on the other hand was the definition of insanity to me. I recall seeing the first Ruger made SBLs on GB for north of $3g. Ummm.....no. For the same money or even less one could get a vintage Winchester 71, 1886, or other similar specimen which would actually retain it's value. Since the first ones, the prices on the new Rug-Lins has been inching steadily down toward normalcy and is settling right in the pocket alongside their equivalent Henry models.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I thought I read the receiver and barrel were made from forgings ? If that is true that in itself explain some of the extra cost .
Most companies have been using investment castings to reduce cost and machining time.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Pat C wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:42 am I thought I read the receiver and barrel were made from forgings ? If that is true that in itself explain some of the extra cost .
Most companies have been using investment castings to reduce cost and machining time.
Ruger pioneered and perfected casting fan blades for jet engines, and probably sell billions of them . . . their castings aren't a knock on quality. chicom castings? NG Their after-market aircraft parts can get people killed.

Barrels have forged rifling, one way or another. I think zinc parts are cast because they can't be machined, not sure about this. Also I think castings usually get machined, threads etc.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I found out the receivers,internals,and barrels are all forged steel . With this in mind one can expect to pay a premium over any foreign arms.

Only critique I would give is I don't like the Marlin style checkering and I do not like later fat forend wood.

Option for plain wood and bone charcoal color case would be fantastic.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Everything is much higher than even five years ago. That price point is in line with a nice traditional bolt action rifle like a M70 Featherweight. The bargains and availability of the early oughts are no more.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I was just reading that assembly line workers at Ruger start at $11.50 an hour and tool makers start around $18 an hour. Their machine operators are sitting at about 26% less than the national average for their job skills. IMO, that equates to dissatisfied workers that probably took the job to get by until they found a good one, and that you probably won't find many skilled craftsmen that care about the quality of their production. I think I will stick to buying the older JM stamped Marlins or a Winchester.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”