Some PRACTICAL 'new shooter' advice.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Some PRACTICAL 'new shooter' advice.

Post by AJMD429 »

A brief little summary of the firearms someone who is new to shooting should acquire, and why.

https://youtu.be/8Np4L7DaYsw?si=ZUbHzUwX2670R5X6

It is interesting towards the tail end of the video when the young lady comments why she prefers the AR...

Personally I'd want a levergun in my list, although I guess the "22 LR" he lists could be a levergun (like maybe am integrally-suppressed Ruger 96/22 8) ).

I do find that a 357 levergun could be the ultimate all-around long gun though, for many purposes short of a group of aggressive two-legged predators, in which case I'd certainly prefer an AR or AK (or flamethrower or grenades :P )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Some PRACTICAL 'new shooter' advice.

Post by COSteve »

We run a series of NRA classes at our range including ones for new shooters. I've found that most women and teens, when given a chance to fire a few rds from a center fire rifle after completing the .22lr class, opt for a more traditional piece than the ARs. I've brought out an AR Carbine, M1 Carbine, Mini 14, and .357 mag M-92 and the least picked to try is the AR by a large margin.

I believe it's a combination of the huge receiver and bulky look of the AR compared to the more compact other choices. When they ask what they are and I explain each of them, many women want to try the M1 Carbine or Mini. Some of the kids want the levergun but are a bit intimidated by it's operation vs just pulling the trigger on the other 2.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are