Freund Sharps repair

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Freund Sharps repair

Post by marlinman93 »

At our annual long-range shoot at the U-Pick Sagebrush Ranch, among the rifles and handguns I hauled with me was my Freund Sharps in .50-3.25" to shoot. But unfortunately it chose this outing to give up and it wouldn't make a good primer strike.
I took it apart at the shoot and saw no issues, so reassembled it, but still no joy!! When I got home I again took it apart, but this time when I pulled the retainer for the transfer bar the bar was broken in half! Of course I got pretty worried about finding unique parts for this old Freund part, so I began asking and researching my options. Called my gunsmith friend who said he might tig weld the bar, and talked to Shiloh Sharps who told me they'd sell me one of theirs to see if it could work? I also contacted Dixie Gun Works, who told me their Italian made 1874 Sharps used the same 2 piece firing pin/transfer bar.
So I ordered the transfer bar from Dixie, and another from a friend who had original one piece firing pin/transfer bars. Today in the mail the one from Dixie Gun Works arrived. I quickly grabbed the part and tried it in my Freund breech block, and to my surprise it slid right in!

As you can see the transfer bar is a bit thicker, and needs some thinning, and maybe a little shaping too, but it's darn close! Close enough I think my gunsmith friend will be happy to see what he has to work with! I think I'll still ask him to weld the broken part also, as having a spare might be a darn good idea. But I hope he likes what he sees and I end up with two workable transfer bars when he's done! And one gun I can shoot knowing if it ever breaks I'll have a spare.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Freund Sharps repair

Post by GunnyMack »

Nice find, hope it works.
Funny how you look for a certain part from all the usual vendors for what is a commonly found thing and no joy is found. Then an obscure part like your transfer bar breaks and the parts are 'everywhere '.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:12 am Nice find, hope it works.
Funny how you look for a certain part from all the usual vendors for what is a commonly found thing and no joy is found. Then an obscure part like your transfer bar breaks and the parts are 'everywhere '.
I was pretty surprised the Italian Dixie transfer bar was a two piece like a Shiloh Sharps, and even more surprised it slid into the breech block cut on my Freund block! I'm guessing old George Freund is either looking down and not happy about this part, or happy to see his work will continue to make smoke soon!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

My Sharps has a patchbox on the buttstock and I have a spare firing pin assembly with certain spare springs. They are all fitted and because I have them, I’ll likely never need them!

Glad you found a part that can be easily modified to work.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:45 am My Sharps has a patchbox on the buttstock and I have a spare firing pin assembly with certain spare springs. They are all fitted and because I have them, I’ll likely never need them!

That's my thinking too Scott. If I get one repaired, and the new one fitted too, then it's very likely I'll never break it again!

The 2nd original Sharps one piece firing pin part came today. It wont slide in as dimensionally it's larger over all surfaces. I'll probably just see if I know someone who owns an original, and needs this firing, rather than spend any time fitting it too.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Got my Sharps back and the new transfer bar fitted yesterday at the gun show. So I decided to reassemble it this afternoon. I know a lot of guys love these guns, but I've never been crazy about them and now I remember why!
After the last 3-4 hours I realized why I haven't collected or had a Sharps in my single shot collection! What a PITA this Sharps has been today! I got the new transfer bar installed and reassembled. The bar had some drag and was still giving me light strikes, so I pulled it back apart and polished all the contact surfaces on the transfer bar, and rounded any sharp corners on the recess cuts it travels in. Lubed it all up and it still felt a bit heavy, so I pulled the firing pin and replaced the heavy return spring with a lighter one. Reassembled it and tried some primed cases, but ignition was inconsistent. I could feel the front trip trigger giving my finger a light tap each time I tripped the trigger and the hammer dropped. That usually means the hammer notch is striking the sear which also means the fly is dragging, or not moving freely.

So all apart again, but further this time, as the lock plate and trigger needed to come out. Everything looked great, but looking at how the stock inletting supports the lock plate and trigger assembly, it's easy to see how slight differences in the inletting can make a Sharps be out of alignment. What kind of an idiot was Sharps to use the stock to set alignment and clearances for the working parts of a gun?

I found nothing wrong besides poor design, so I reassembled it all and snugged all the screws down tight. Put another case in the chamber, set the trigger, and when I tripped the front trigger the primer went bang! Tried 4 more and it went bang every time. Amazing that it can be fixed with just taking it apart and reassembling. Guess tightening the action and lock plate screws got things aligned. Still a poor design.

Going to build up more ammo now, and shoot the heck out of it. If it proves to be reliable like the name "Old Reliable" I'll keep it. If it gives me problems it's going away and get replaced by a nice Ballard maybe?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've never had the opportunity to see a Sharps with my fingers' so I'm no help but it sounds like you got it figured out!
I'm curious how your range trip turns out!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:45 am My Sharps has a patchbox on the buttstock and I have a spare firing pin assembly with certain spare springs. They are all fitted and because I have them, I’ll likely never need them!

Ah yes far better to have and never need vs need and can’t find !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:40 am I've never had the opportunity to see a Sharps with my fingers' so I'm no help but it sounds like you got it figured out!
I'm curious how your range trip turns out!
I hope it goes well now. I think having 5 primed cases all ignite gives me some satisfaction or confidence it will go bang. Now just how accurately will only be answered from load workup.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've had my Shiloh Sharps since 1987 and have only taken it apart once to clean out the breech block after firing many thousands of BP rounds... that has to be at least 10 or so years ago. It wasn't really to fix a problem... just thought it might be nice to do. Glad to hear you've got yours sorted out.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Griff wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:26 pm I've had my Shiloh Sharps since 1987 and have only taken it apart once to clean out the breech block after firing many thousands of BP rounds... that has to be at least 10 or so years ago. It wasn't really to fix a problem... just thought it might be nice to do. Glad to hear you've got yours sorted out.
Everyone I know who owns a Shiloh Sharps has had very reliable results. But they all tell me they've had at least one firing pin break eventually, and they carry a spare. Hope I never need my spare transfer bar!
I'm not going to be a Sharps collector though! One is one more than I ever thought I'd ever own.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

One of the first admonishments I received when shooting my Sharps was to make sure I pulled the hammer back to at least half cock before opening the breech. Not doing so was the most common cause of breaking the firing pin. A simple step, but one easily overlooked.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Griff wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:54 pm One of the first admonishments I received when shooting my Sharps was to make sure I pulled the hammer back to at least half cock before opening the breech. Not doing so was the most common cause of breaking the firing pin. A simple step, but one easily overlooked.
One of the features the Freund Improved actions have is not having to put the hammer at half cock before lowering the lever. The extension on the hammer raises it as you open the lever automatically. And of course it's a two piece firing pin system, which directs the strike straight at the primer, not at an angle like originals, or the Shiloh Sharps do.
A greatly improved system with the camming breech block, and the dual extractors, and hopefully I can enjoy many years of shooting without anymore breakdowns!