Cutting a holster down for a custom fit (picture heavy)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Cutting a holster down for a custom fit (picture heavy)

Post by Ysabel Kid »

So, keeping with my other posts on customizing holsters, here is another one I did earlier this year during the winter.

The holster started off as a traditionally styled one for the 1860 Army Colt. I bought it off Etsy.

But I wanted to use it with a "sheriff's" model 1860, having a 5.5-inch barrel. Yes, I could have used it as is, but wanted to cut down the holster for a better fit.

Measure twice, cut once. Cutting was the easiest part.

Hmmm, what to do with the section left after cutting it off? Make a toe for the holster! So I made a template, and decided to double up on the toe itself.

Glued them in place with some leather glue and used the rubber bands to hold it all together while the glue dried.

Oh, and I wet-formed the holster before setting the toe.

The nice thing is the holster can be a straight drop strong-side or a cross draw.

The final product:

Another fun project! :D
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Cutting a holster down for a custom fit (picture heavy)

Post by JBowen »

I give it two thumbs up! Looks good.

JBowen
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JBowen wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:01 pm I give it two thumbs up! Looks good.

JBowen
+2
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

Lookin goood. Nicely done.
NRA life member
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:53 pm So, keeping with my other posts on customizing holsters, here is another one I did earlier this year during the winter.

Nice work Jay!

It's good to hear you are making/taking time to do fun gun stuff like that. Here's another project for you...

This coming winter, mark with a punch where the threading that goes down the length of the holster would be across the bottom just above the toe (and coming out the bottom -- so you need to mark the visible bottom of the holster, and also the bottom of the toe itself). Then put a very small (1/16" is too large) drill in a drill press and drill the holes you had marked (Harbor Freight or eBay sell cheap sets that work OK on soft materials). Then get some matching black thread, and complete the threading at the very bottom. After you tie off the last knot, trim it to about 1/4" or so, and use the back end of a smaller drill to push the tag end into one of the drilled holes to hide it, and put a small drop of super glue on it. I think that will give the holster a nice complete & finished look.

Good luck!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Fun project, and I like that 1860. Was it built that way or did you chop it?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:44 am
Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:53 pm So, keeping with my other posts on customizing holsters, here is another one I did earlier this year during the winter.

Nice work Jay!

It's good to hear you are making/taking time to do fun gun stuff like that. Here's another project for you...

This coming winter, mark with a punch where the threading that goes down the length of the holster would be across the bottom just above the toe (and coming out the bottom -- so you need to mark the visible bottom of the holster, and also the bottom of the toe itself). Then put a very small (1/16" is too large) drill in a drill press and drill the holes you had marked (Harbor Freight or eBay sell cheap sets that work OK on soft materials). Then get some matching black thread, and complete the threading at the very bottom. After you tie off the last knot, trim it to about 1/4" or so, and use the back end of a smaller drill to push the tag end into one of the drilled holes to hide it, and put a small drop of super glue on it. I think that will give the holster a nice complete & finished look.

Good luck!

Old No7
Great idea Darryl! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

samsi wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:37 pm Fun project, and I like that 1860. Was it built that way or did you chop it?
Back about 40 years ago I passed on a pair of 1860's, unfinished and in the white. I was toying with the idea of cutting them down. I was in college, and had no money. Always kicked myself (the seller wanted $40 each for them).

Fast forward, I saw Pietta released a "sheriff" model with a 5.5-inch barrel. I bought it, and other than the horrendous markings Pietta slaps all over their guns, I really like it. I will get around to removing those after I retire.

I still think a 4-inch model would be awfully interesting...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Hey!!!!
Those are not slippers.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

RIHMFIRE wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:19 am Hey!!!!
Those are not slippers.
Not in the garage!

I must admit, I have had to give up the moccasins, after ~45 years. I need arch support, even inside the house. Really helps my back.