The talk about forgetting guns has been useful ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The talk about forgetting guns has been useful ....

Post by JimT »

helps us realize we are all human not without the ability to make mistakes. However, all the "forgotten" guns mentioned so far have only been for a few days or at the most, a week. I forgot one for nearly 20 years!

A while back I was sitting at my desk when my phone rang. It was John Linebaugh. I had not talked to him in quite a long time and we caught up on where we were and what we were doing. Then I asked him, "What can I do for you John?" He said, "Well, I am getting ready to retire in a year or so and I was going through my gun safe and found a pistol you sent me years ago." I said, "Really? What pistol?" and he said, "An old model Ruger Single Six."

And it came flooding back to me!

I said "Oh my gosh! I had completely forgotten about that gun!" We figured out that I must have sent it to him in the early 2000's. I had been talking with him about building a 5-shot .38 Special on an old model Single Six. I found a good deal on one from Jack First and had bought it. I shot it some and then sent it to John. Then I had gotten busy with Mission Trip to Alaska and told John to wait. A couple years passed and I had a hunt in Alaska that I was doing and then a hunt in Africa and after that a Mission Trip to Mozambique and shortly after that we started making plans to move to Mozambique and I completely forgot about the Single Six. And so did John!

I told him, "Well keep it John. You've had it longer than I did." but he said no, he was cleaning up his books and would ship it back to me.

When I got the gun I realized I had done some work on it before I sent it to John. It had the gripframe from my old .45 Ruger before I had John rebuild it. And I had done a trigger job on it. I sent the gun to Gary Reeder and had the barrel cut to 4 5/8" and Super Single Six front sight installed on it. And now I shoot that gun more than most any other gun I own. I really enjoy it and am happy I forgot it for all those year and never made it into a .38 Special.

The Forgotten Single Six
old_model_single_six.jpg
IMG_4818.JPG
IMG_4807.JPG
IMG_5842.JPG
target first.JPG
IMG_5007.JPG
IMG_4839.JPG
and it helps me remember an old friend who has left this life 'way too soon ....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: The talk about forgetting guns has been useful ....

Post by gamekeeper »

I give anything to receive a phone call like that... :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Excellent post Jim. Glad you got it back and enjoy it so much. I once owned a Single Six and traded it for a Marlin 336 in .30-30. When my Dad moved from AZ to TN he mentioned that he wanted to hunt bears... so I gifted him the 336. After he passed, my Mom gave me his guns, and my son his 10-22. I asked about the 336 and she said he'd traded with one of my cousins for the 10-22 so he could teach my son to shoot... The summer my son turned 8 (1996) he spent back there with my folks and got to shoot that 10-22 quite a lot. A memory he still holds dear to this day!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:39 am I give anything to receive a phone call like that... :mrgreen:
Me too! :D