Air rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Air rifle?

Post by gcs »

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced pellet rifle?

Probably 22 cal, gas piston?, accurate to at least 25 yds. No scope needed.

Thanks
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Air rifle?

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm fond of RWS , both of mine a spring guns. Beeman is probably the way to go, although I haven't seen anything Beeman in years. I always wanted their Crow Magnum in .20.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

gcs wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:31 pm Any suggestions for a reasonably priced pellet rifle?

Thanks
I have a Beeman Sportsman .177 springer I got for $99 at walmart

it will embed pellets in a steel t.v. dish.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have a Norica gas piston air rifle that I bought mainly to see if the gas piston was an improvement on the springers which I have used for decades, so far I'm very pleased with it indeed... :)
IMG_20200627_145814.jpg
It is only the junior size Thor .177 made in Spain, I didn't intend to use it for hunting but it has accounted for a lot of Squirrels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Grizz wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:15 pm
gcs wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:31 pm Any suggestions for a reasonably priced pellet rifle?

Thanks
I have a Beeman Sportsman .177 springer I got for $99 at walmart

it will embed pellets in a steel t.v. dish.
x1
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Consider the Crosman Vantage, $113.00 from Pyramyd Air. There is a simple and elegant fix for the miserable trigger, which I performed on mine and it made a huge difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsdP4yRVPnw&t=81s
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:16 am Consider the Crosman Vantage, $113.00 from Pyramyd Air. There is a simple and elegant fix for the miserable trigger, which I performed on mine and it made a huge difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsdP4yRVPnw&t=81s
I think that's a winner!

never heard of gas rams until today ! it seems to me to be a better mouse trap... my .177 springer with certain pellets claims up to 1200 fps. but it's old old school bb gun tech. . .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Back maybe 5 yrs. ago I wanted an upgrade to my trusty old Benjamin pump pellet rifle, and decided to start looking. I found a Gamo Whisper .177 complete with 4x scope for sale online at $115 shipped to my door. It was rated at around 1400 fps? if I recall correctly, and is a break open action, with black plastic stock.
I took it out to my backyard and set up a target at 50 ft. and put 10 shots in one ragged hole! I was using 7 gr. pellets, and later ordered 500 10 gr. pellets online, and like the heavier pellets even more. I'm sure velocity is slightly lower with the 10 gr. bullets, but at longer 100 ft. range the heavy bullets group smaller than the 7 gr. did.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another of these if the prices haven't gone nuts in the last couple years?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I had to dig this out of the trash file...
20230709_105253.jpg
This fox was getting a little too bold, Parker and her puppies were in the yard with him snooping around. The only thing handy was my 177 RWS , I took the shot aboutv45 or 50 yards and it didn't go 5 steps! Who says air guns don't get the job done don't know squat!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:05 pm I had to dig this out of the trash file...20230709_105253.jpg
This fox was getting a little too bold, Parker and her puppies were in the yard with him snooping around. The only thing handy was my 177 RWS , I took the shot aboutv45 or 50 yards and it didn't go 5 steps! Who says air guns don't get the job done don't know squat!
Done a few myself.
s200fox.jpg
The original poster and his initial needs will be fulfilled with about any cheap offering in spring types. I don't trust gas rams sorry.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Thanks to all,
Had a cheap springer as a kid, it was completely adequate, and I sent a lot of pellets down range. Fast forward 60 years and have a need for some light duty "jobs".....
Nath, any reason you distrust a gas cylinder?
Springers are still available and inexpensive, but seems to be a push for the gas types as "better", and still inexpensive... any insight appreciated
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve had or have a few old Crossman deals mostly 22 cal . But about a year ago a friend lured me into a couple air rifle shops looking at stuff that were in the 2K range and showing me videos of the makers in Africa killing eland and even a Cape buffalo . I thought this is neat ! So a week or two later I bought one at Midway except it’s a 50 caliber deal , I wanted it to smite a man eating whitetail deer and once that’s accomplished more than likely down the road it will go . The gun pricewise wasn’t so bad I think $700 if memory serves , but I ended up buying this compact air compressor thing that was close to $500 . Anyway it is what it is :lol: :lol: :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gcs wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:45 am Thanks to all,
Had a cheap springer as a kid, it was completely adequate, and I sent a lot of pellets down range. Fast forward 60 years and have a need for some light duty "jobs".....
Nath, any reason you distrust a gas cylinder?
Springers are still available and inexpensive, but seems to be a push for the gas types as "better", and still inexpensive... any insight appreciated
It's just a reliability thing. A few gas rams leak verses springs that don't really break etc.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I broke an RWS spring! I made a solid pellet mold, weighed about 20 gr in .177.
I called RWS to get a replacement, they told me to send the gun back for a warranty replacement. I told them I would replace it myself. Boy what a mistake that was! Those springs are half again as long as the receiver , very heavy wire and it took me a few days to figure out how to compress it, capture it and reassemble!
Ì had to make bits and pieces and use a pipe clamp.
If you break one send it back !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:57 pm I broke an RWS spring! I made a solid pellet mold, weighed about 20 gr in .177.
I called RWS to get a replacement, they told me to send the gun back for a warranty replacement. I told them I would replace it myself. Boy what a mistake that was! Those springs are half again as long as the receiver , very heavy wire and it took me a few days to figure out how to compress it, capture it and reassemble!
Ì had to make bits and pieces and use a pipe clamp.
If you break one send it back !
Ay, occasionally can happen but my take is that your experience is rare compared to the alternative.
Some can be fun rebuilding them sure!!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm with you Nath, springs are a lot less prone to failure than seals in a gas piston.
The piston guns are nicer as they can stay compressed ( cocked ) for long periods of time without fear of spring set.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My Gamo Whisper is a springer, and the first such type of pellet rifle I've ever owned. So far extremely reliable, but it did take some getting used to when you trip the trigger, and feel the spring release. Not like my old Benjamin pumps that are pneumatic, and don't have any recoil or movement when tripped.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have had a few PCPs -- too much money for this caballero -- several springers including the lovely HW97, and this inexpensive Crosman as well as an exotic Beeman/HW/Theoben RX1 that I recently sent to a new home in Pennsylvania. The gas rams do present a smoother cycle than the pure springers. I doubt I would ever use one enough to experience a failure, but yes, it does happen. On the other hand, go to the "Traditional Rifles" forum at Airgun Nation and look at all threads about repairing even the august Air Arms TX200s, etc. They are mechanical devices made by humans and must inevitably break.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Friend of mine is into the pcp guns, has a few high caliber ones... He did manage to blow up the air cylinder on one, almost took his thumb off, didn't seem to affect him, I think I'd be nervous filling one of those bombs up, lol