Ian’s kaboom - / - was a tubular magazine detonation…

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Ian’s kaboom - / - was a tubular magazine detonation…

Post by AJMD429 »

I think maybe there were posts on it at the time but I don’t remember…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDuoj7KR-CA

Drop g-e-n-t-l-y . . . . !
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ian’s kaboom - / - was a tubular magazine detonation…

Post by wvfarrier »

That is pretty crazy. Lucky he still has his eyes
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Operator error. He didn't read the instructions, or ignored them. That follower has a lot of spring tension with just a half filled mag tube. Had he filled it up, or lowered the follower properly this wont ever happen.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Bonehead mistake! In CAS at the clubs I shoot at, they always recommend that you load the original Henry at a 45 degree angle or less, with the barrel pointed in a safe direction and be very careful NOT to let the follower impact the rounds under spring pressure. If you let that spring fly and there is even a hint of a high primer chances are a KA BOOM. A further tip, as the follower moves down toward your face as you cycle and shoot, be aware that you very well may have to move your forward hand in front of it. Other than these oddities, the original Henry is a hoot to shoot.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

The only things I like to let snap are the bolt on a semi and the hammer when the trigger is pulled. Everything else is nice an easy if you know what I mean. IMHO
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Proof that even knowing what to avoid doesn't always make you avoid it. Having bandages, super glue, and black pepper when hunting or shooting is always a good idea. For those who are on blood thinners, black pepper sprinkled on the bleeding areas stops the bleeding and clots it faster than anything else. Super glue is a good temporary stitch. If you need either one, get to a Doctor as soon as possible. Infection is a probability. Let the Doctor clean it and get you an antibiotic. I dropped a knife on my toe recently, and had to use black pepper to stop the bleeding. PillHer called me at work later and asked if I had gone to the ER. It was a small cut point first on the top of the big toe between the joints. I lost about a measuring cup of blood because of the blood thinner. The cut was less than 1/4 inch wide. Pressure did not stop it until I hopped and dripped a trail of blood to the kitchen to get the pepper.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

buckeyeshooter wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:34 am Bonehead mistake!
Which Ian admitted. Goes to show you that even when you possess a ton of knowledge and experience, one little bit of inattention can ruin your day! :shock:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

piller wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:58 pm Proof that even knowing what to avoid doesn't always make you avoid it. Having bandages, super glue, and black pepper when hunting or shooting is always a good idea. For those who are on blood thinners, black pepper sprinkled on the bleeding areas stops the bleeding and clots it faster than anything else. Super glue is a good temporary stitch. If you need either one, get to a Doctor as soon as possible. Infection is a probability. Let the Doctor clean it and get you an antibiotic. I dropped a knife on my toe recently, and had to use black pepper to stop the bleeding. PillHer called me at work later and asked if I had gone to the ER. It was a small cut point first on the top of the big toe between the joints. I lost about a measuring cup of blood because of the blood thinner. The cut was less than 1/4 inch wide. Pressure did not stop it until I hopped and dripped a trail of blood to the kitchen to get the pepper.
I had no idea black pepper did that. That is really good to know. Any specific type or brand you recommend?
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Good to know about the pepper!
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

I didn't know black pepper would stop bleeding, but I have used as a radiator stop leak. First time I saw an old timer do that I thought he was crazy. It is not a
permanent fix, but it will get you out of a bind.

JBowen
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Someone mentioned about loading a Henry at a 45 degree angle or less and that makes good sense to me to prevent a detonation. New reproduction Henrys fire centerfire cartridges where the chance of a primer being struck is likely, but I wonder if this was a factor with original Henry rifles that fired the 44 Rimfire round.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:26 pm
piller wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:58 pm Proof that even knowing what to avoid doesn't always make you avoid it. Having bandages, super glue, and black pepper when hunting or shooting is always a good idea. For those who are on blood thinners, black pepper sprinkled on the bleeding areas stops the bleeding and clots it faster than anything else. Super glue is a good temporary stitch. If you need either one, get to a Doctor as soon as possible. Infection is a probability. Let the Doctor clean it and get you an antibiotic. I dropped a knife on my toe recently, and had to use black pepper to stop the bleeding. PillHer called me at work later and asked if I had gone to the ER. It was a small cut point first on the top of the big toe between the joints. I lost about a measuring cup of blood because of the blood thinner. The cut was less than 1/4 inch wide. Pressure did not stop it until I hopped and dripped a trail of blood to the kitchen to get the pepper.
I had no idea black pepper did that. That is really good to know. Any specific type or brand you recommend?
No specific brand. Just ground black pepper. Thw same stuff you probably have in a shaker on your kitchen table.
D. Brian Casady
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks! :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Take a pepper packet from a fast food restaurant and keep it in a ziploc bag with your hunting gear, your range bag, and your fishing equipment.
D. Brian Casady
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

piller wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:15 pm Take a pepper packet from a fast food restaurant and keep it in a ziploc bag with your hunting gear, your range bag, and your fishing equipment.
Maybe half a dozen or so! Good info to know...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH