Marlin 39A extraction problems

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin 39A extraction problems

Post by jnyork »

I have a Marlin 39A, 'N' model, condition is excellent. I have fired it quite a bit over the last few years in Lever Action Silhouette matches, never a problem.

Now, fired cases want to stick in the chamber. After the rifle has had a thorough cleaning, including removing any sign of a carbon ring, I can fire it maybe 12-14 times before the sticking begins. After that, average is every other shot. I am using SK Standard Plus, but have tried other ammo to no avail. The extractor is sharp and has a good amount of spring to it. There is no sign of a divot on the chamber edge from dry firing. There are no bulges or scratches on the extracted cases. Close examination with a borescope reveals no defects in the chamber.

Anyone got any ideas?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 39A extraction problems

Post by GunnyMack »

Does SK ammo have a waxy lube? Could be a build up of lube that you are not seeing in the chamber. Try some 0000 steel wool wrapped in the bristles of a bore brush soaked in acetone. Spin the brush with a drill. This will help to polish the chamber as well- granted it's not the same as Emory or croakus cloth.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I’ve had similar problems with my 39A as well as other.22 lr rifles. I tried several things but found Dawn dishwashing liquid on a chamber brush works wonders.

Heck it cleans petroleum covered birds and that stuff is waxy.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Since it's doing it with more than just the SK ammo, I'd assume it's not ammo related. Likely the extractor is the issue, but not because it's bad. I'd remove the breech bolt and totally disassemble it to give it a thorough cleaning. Sometimes the .22 ammo is pretty dirty, and the recesses around the extractor can get clogged and not let it function properly.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:41 am I'd remove the breech bolt and totally disassemble it to give it a thorough cleaning. Sometimes the .22 ammo is pretty dirty, and the recesses around the extractor can get clogged and not let it function properly.
Thanks, I just did that yesterday morning and waiting for the next range trip to check it out. :)