.410 Shockwave

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

.410 Shockwave

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

My folks are a bit concerned about trespassers as we are no longer seeing Mexican nationals among those who are coming across the border.

They didn’t want a pistol and they needed something that was simple to use.

So I got them a Mossberg Shockwave in .410 and several boxes of shells. My mom wanted me to show her how to operate it and I was pretty impressed with what damage this gun does up close on cactus with larger bird shot.

I picked up a short nylon case to keep the dust out of the action when they ride around in the Ranger.

Unconventional but I think it’s worth considering this little shooter for similar purposes.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .410 Shockwave

Full disclosure, I do t think a .410 has the same “crumple” effect that I’ve seen with 12 ga buckshot. I personally favor the Remington 870 but that’s just too much recoil for my folks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

https://youtu.be/fM_sqSTg2v8?si=CLKxj3tqSbk50N9N

Since most of these things happen up close, there’s a great argument for this kind of gun.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

As I’ve mentioned my Perfect Jeep Gun (PJG) is a Mossberg 500 in .410. Prior to that use it was used by my mom as a home defense gun. I purchased a cruiser grip for it. And that shortened it up to where it was easily used in her condo.

In making it the PJG I bought a youth stock to make both easier to store and used in tight spaces. However, I still keep the pistol grip in the case.

If anyone doubts the .410’s ability to do the work of a PJG which is both taking small game and self defense they need to pattern it. Good old fashioned slugs and #4 buck is very effective on larger targets. Some of today’s newer defense rounds are pretty devastating.

I would have no issues using the .410 for home defense if push comes to shove. I currently use a 20 ga in that role. I also use a 20 ga as my Perfect Pickup Gun (PPG). I have 12 ga shotguns that would work well for either the PJG or PPG for me. But my wife is small and the 12 ga recoil and shotgun weight are not to her liking.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've loaded 410 with everything from #12s to slugs. A 3" hull with 3 OOO will make anybody take notice ! Nice thing about OOO in a 410 is they tend to stay in tight to each other longer than say a 12 ga does.
Heck even #2s will put a hurt on a body. Granted not a ton of shot but it'll get their attention.
The old Remington 1/5 oz slug was magic on feral cats.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

While the experts recommend against birdshot for home defense, I always figured that a load of No. 8 to the upper torso and head and our born loser will have plenty of time to learn Braille in prison.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm throwing in for #2's or #4's. Just feels about right ... pellet count and pellet mass wise.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd stick with 3" for larger that #4s just to keep the pellet count up.
Face it any shotgun is going to get the respect it deserves!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Birdshot (12ga.) vs. flesh of swine.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gq3RVvL9Z ... ZHNob3Q%3D

Fast forward to about 8:20 mark.....
m.A.g.a. !
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

I am thinking a 20 gauge might be a good compromise.
NRA life member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've been resisting the Shockwave for a while now. You're not helping Scott! :lol:
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I've got a 12. It's controllable with trap load equivalent but not for much beyond that, at least for me. I like the 2" shells from warwolf. Velocity pretty much the same as serious social loads but just a lighter payload. For instance, 6 00buck instead of 9. The round ball load packs a thump and is about my upper limit. The 2" shells will work without modifications and the mag packs more rounds.
The accuracy, by me, is a little less than desired so I added a laser. A beam coming from the ugly little sucker just may stop a fight before it starts.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Leverluver wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:18 pm I've got a 12. It's controllable with trap load equivalent but not for much beyond that, at least for me. I like the 2" shells from warwolf. Velocity pretty much the same as serious social loads but just a lighter payload. For instance, 6 00buck instead of 9. The round ball load packs a thump and is about my upper limit. The 2" shells will work without modifications and the mag packs more rounds.
The accuracy, by me, is a little less than desired so I added a laser. A beam coming from the ugly little sucker just may stop a fight before it starts.
For me ,I would much rather shoot a Shockwave than a shotgun with a buttstock.
With a buttstock all the recoil goes into my shoulder and neck whereas with the shockwave no pain at all to my shoulder or neck.
Even with 12 gaugeWinchester Super X 00 buckshot.
Laser works great ,can you can use from any position just put the sighted in dot where you want to hit and pull trigger.
Mossberg Maverick 88 with Pistol grip is nice as well ,with increased capacity over the Shockwave ,not as easy to hit with as the Shockwave with Laser though.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:47 pm I've been resisting the Shockwave for a while now. You're not helping Scott! :lol:
Scott,

I bought my mom a Mossberg 500 in 410. She liked the size of it because it was very similar to the one she had growing up on my grandparent's farm. Like many have said, being comfortable with a chosen firearm is so very important. Our oldest has it now. He wanted it because it was my mom's.

Jay,
Resistance is futile! Especially for what I've seen them priced at, post apocalypses, err, I mean pandemic.
Mine rides under the back seat in the F 150. Makes a great cabin gun too.
I had to put the rubber grip on it or my hand slides up over the safety. My hands don't work as well as they used to.
Sooner of later I'll pick up a .410 to go with it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My .410 is a NEF single shot full choke.
With high brass #4s it wrecks a 1 gal plastic jug at 30-ish paces. If it was head or torso I doubt the thug would be interested in continuing the match.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:52 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:47 pm I've been resisting the Shockwave for a while now. You're not helping Scott! :lol:
Scott,

I bought my mom a Mossberg 500 in 410. She liked the size of it because it was very similar to the one she had growing up on my grandparent's farm. Like many have said, being comfortable with a chosen firearm is so very important. Our oldest has it now. He wanted it because it was my mom's.

Jay,
Resistance is futile! Especially for what I've seen them priced at, post apocalypses, err, I mean pandemic.
Mine rides under the back seat in the F 150. Makes a great cabin gun too.
I had to put the rubber grip on it or my hand slides up over the safety. My hands don't work as well as they used to.
Sooner of later I'll pick up a .410 to go with it.

jb 8)
You are both enablers!!! :lol:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Always here to help, amigo! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:57 am Always here to help, amigo! :D

jb 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I think the 12 ga Remington is just right for protecting your castle or pickup truck.

But I am interested in the .410 for general utility.