M-1 Garand

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

M-1 Garand

Post by 308magtip »

I have heard from some old vets that the M-1 can can go full auto if a certen part wears.What is this part?
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: M-1 Garand

Post by horsesoldier03 »

It can happen when the sear gets worn and has also been know to happen when the weapon gets hard cosmoline packed inside the bolt and stops the firing pin from moving freely.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I've also seen it happen with softer primers like federal.

Eric
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Happened to me when I was in Infantry Training Reg't, Camp Lejeune, 1964. First 1-2 rounds fired normally, the remaining wen full auto! Quite a surprise and it was not uncommon. Like HorseSoldier03 posted, due to a worn sear and those old M1's had seen a great deal of use and abuse.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

The M1/M14 trigger has two sets of sear hooks, the second set catches the hammer as the action cycles, effectively functioning as the disconnector. When you release the trigger it drops the hammer back onto the primary sear, if the secondary is worn it fails to capture the hammer on rebound. Generally it starts out slow with a double now and then before it gets bad enough for multiple shots due to hammer following. Six to eight at once gets your attention.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Poor trigger discipline/follow through alone will cause doubles and triples in both M1 and M14. Seen it often especially people shooting from bench with poorly done match adjusted trigger groups.

Trigger group parts are case hardened and 58-60 HRC they last a long long time in normal use and unmodified.

Any semi auto can go cyclic for various reasons wear/dirty conditions but certainly not predictable .

My 552 speed master, one of the dirtiest shooting guns of all time would dump strings of rounds at random .