.69 combo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

.69 combo

Post by Ysabel Kid »

And you all thought we were done... :wink:

Here's a .69 caliber combo. Well, nominal caliber dimensions anyway. And I know neither of these are a lever!

A little better view of both.

The 1766 Charleville reproduction is from Pedersoli. The Tower pistol is from Dixie Gun Works, a kit I bought and built 35 years ago. I did have to replace the frizzen spring a few years back. I shot it earlier this year at one of our Safety Team's range day. Didn't qualify with it - reloading is a bit time consuming, even with my paper cartridges (below), but it made a ton of smoke! :D

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .69 combo

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jay, I am greatly impressed! Very nice pair!
I remember seeing the .69 "Tower Pistol" for sale in all the old Guns Illustrated editions and pining for one as they seemed so affordable back in the day.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Do you ever fire fine shot out of those ?

My experiments along those lines from my antique and replica smoothbores have been less than satisfactory. I thought the traditions .54 blunderbuss with the funnel removed and front bead added would be just the thing for controlling these brazen and mocking squirrels who have developed a taste for green tomatoes. I loaded it northeast frontier style but with cotton balls in place of the linen tow and fired at a pop can sitting on a fence post at about fifteen paces. Riddled the can so I thought I was good and proper patterning on spent pizza boxes would be a waste of powder and shot. Wrong again. After the smoke cleared on the three or four attempts, the intended targets just laughed at me.....or at least that is what I interpreted the chattering noises and unblinking looks of disdain.
m.A.g.a. !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ray wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:41 pm Do you ever fire fine shot out of those ?

My experiments along those lines from my antique and replica smoothbores have been less than satisfactory. I thought the traditions .54 blunderbuss with the funnel removed and front bead added would be just the thing for controlling these brazen and mocking squirrels who have developed a taste for green tomatoes. I loaded it northeast frontier style but with cotton balls in place of the linen tow and fired at a pop can sitting on a fence post at about fifteen paces. Riddled the can so I thought I was good and proper patterning on spent pizza boxes would be a waste of powder and shot. Wrong again. After the smoke cleared on the three or four attempts, the intended targets just laughed at me.....or at least that is what I interpreted the chattering noises and unblinking looks of disdain.
I have not yet, but I see no reason why a .69-caliber smooth bore couldn't propel a useful charge of shot. I think your tree-rats might be wearing teflon vests under their fur coats!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:47 am Jay, I am greatly impressed! Very nice pair!
I remember seeing the .69 "Tower Pistol" for sale in all the old Guns Illustrated editions and pining for one as they seemed so affordable back in the day.
I know I paid well under a C-note for the kit back then. And I still use the Dremel tool I bought to do the project! :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have used several smooth bore muskets with birdshot with excellent results, I found out early on that too much wadding was detramental to getting a good pattern.

Jay I like your .69 combo 8) back in the day it could have taken everything from Squirrel to Buffalo and you'd only need to carry one ball mold in your possibles bag.. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I really like this combo!!!!

It’s giving me an interesting idea.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:38 pm I really like this combo!!!!

It’s giving me an interesting idea.
Scott, when you have an "interesting idea" it normally turns into a very interesting post! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:58 pm I have used several smooth bore muskets with birdshot with excellent results, I found out early on that too much wadding was detramental to getting a good pattern.

Jay I like your .69 combo 8) back in the day it could have taken everything from Squirrel to Buffalo and you'd only need to carry one ball mold in your possibles bag.. :wink:
I actually found out that the best single ball mold for these was made in Russia of all places. Picked up two of them, exactly fitted to what I wanted for both firearms. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No one cares that they are of an older than levergun design. Very nice!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost