Combos?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Combos?

Post by marlinman93 »

It seems like suddenly about half the posts here are about gun combos! Not sure why the sudden interest and flood of combos popped up, but I've always found these combos to be a compromise for either the rifle or the pistol used. A load that works the best in one, rarely works well in the other; so it results in either the rifle or the pistol not being as good as the other is.
I've never understood why it's a thing, as a good load for each is always better, and never have carried a rifle and pistol in the same chambering while out hunting. I chose to carry the best rifle and cartridge I had, and the best handgun and cartridge to go with me.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Combos?

Post by Bearskinner »

For me personally I just have a love of Leverguns and Single Actions. DA’s are pretty nice as well. My Single actions are capable of taking any animal in the world, and have, literally.
I pretty much just play with lever guns, so it makes sense to use something I already load for, and cast bullets for.
Ideally a hunting SA, ( longer barrel with better sights ir optics) with a matching caliber short barreled SA belt gun, add in a 3-4” DA belt gun, and a lever to complete the set. For each caliber!
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Unless hunting in dangerous territory : ie either human or large predator, I would choose opposites, powerful long gun with a .22 handgun or powerful handgun and .22 long gun.
Nice to have lots of choices though.... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

I agree with all of the above. It is just fun having options. When I go hunting I choose the best ammo for both firearms. Usually the lever is a
rifle cartridge.

JBowen
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I've not found it difficult to come up with a load that worked quite well in both long gun and hand gun, especially in the .357 Magnum. An accurate load in one has usually been accurate in the other.
IMG_3613.JPG
IMG_3990.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Well I guess I'm partly to blame since I started the recent "combo" threads. But pistol caliber rifle/ hangun talk I believe would be tge basis for this entire forum ,would it not?
Lever Action model 92 and Colt style SAA otta be the poster child of the board.

Just like in the days of the wild west a combination rifle and pistol in same caliber would be priority and certainly very handy today.

Some of the later threads I think are just folks funnin .
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. Made more sense in the black powder era IMO.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Away from civilization and in hostile country carrying just one calibre ammunition for a rifle and a handgun made perfect sense or we would never have seen Colt chamber revolvers in rifle calibers, it must have been popular so as to make good business sense.
I particularly like Ysable Kids .69 muzzleloading combo being a black powder shooter myself I prefer the less complicated the better approach.. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Heck guys, combinations are just plain fun! :D
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Jim, that is some nice groups there. Looks like you have a "keeper" there.

JBowen
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:47 am Unless hunting in dangerous territory : ie either human or large predator, I would choose opposites, powerful long gun with a .22 handgun or powerful handgun and .22 long gun.
Nice to have lots of choices though.... :D
Me too, but it's just FUN...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

OP makes a great point. Although I have 22 and 44 combos, I have never carried both in the field simultaneously, only at ranges. I’ve carried a shotgun and 22 pistol, high power rifle and a 38, a 22 rifle and a magnum pistol. Combos made more sense in a different time when travel was rough and long, nearly all repeaters fired cartridges that could be chambered in revolvers, and the vast majority of folks had close to no extra money. Even then I’m sure many if not most did not use cartridge combos. I imagine most had a shotgun, a single shot rifle, and maybe a revolver. On a homestead or even a wagon, it would work. On a horse, particularly traveling alone, a 44 or 38 combo would have been very prudent. I still think combos make a sound defense option today especially autos, or levers/DA revolvers

As for settling on a load, probably best to find something accurate and functional for the rifle, then make sure it works in the handgun.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Because we can. :D

However, this is the combo that gets the most trail time.
.30-'06 '95 SRC, 1911 National Match and Number one Scout Dog.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Until I started cowboy action shooting, I never gave like cartridges in a rifle & handgun a thought. Up to that time I'd used 3 rifles for hunting, coyotes & deer with a Winchester 94 in 30-30, then a Remington 700 in 7mmRM for an elk hunt in CO, and a 375 Marlin for CA bear the next summer. my sidearm had been either a Ruger 3-screw in .357 or my Colt SAA in 45. It wasn't until my 2nd year in CAS that I got my hands on a rifle in 45 Colt. That's when I saw the advantages of it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Couple dash calibers, 1894 src, made in 1987, 38-55, and a Remington 44-40
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Last one, 1876 45/75 and Colt 44-40
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Going to start searching for a handgun combo to go with my Sharps in .50-3.25" soon.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Here are some of my work combo's
.45 ACP and 9mm the longer ones were a great improvement over the handguns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Not that it is super pertinent, but I remember seeing photos of GIs with a Thompson SMG, and a 1911; British Tommies with Sten guns and Ingis Hi Powers, and of course, various German troops with an MP-40 and a Walther P-38.
I do not believe I will ever own any of these combos.