Kudos to Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Kudos to Winchester

Post by JBowen »

There is a lot of talk on the internet about Winchester customer service not being good, particularly when it comes to bad primers. Well I had a good experience with their customer service.
I opened up a new brick of WLR primers back in June and loaded up some starting loads for a new to me Ruger 77 25-06. I loaded about 30 rounds or so
of various powders and bullets and went to the range. When I was shooting groups I noticed smoke come out of my breech around the bolt. I then checked
the round I had fired real close and noticed the primer had a small pin hole on the radius edge. I checked the other ones I had fired and found 3 more.
These were from 2 different loads. I pulled the bolt out and noticed 4 very small craters on the face of the bolt so I stopped firing the reloads.
When I got home, I punched out those primers for a closer look. It was actually a pin hole and not a loose primer.
I did a search on the net and found out this has happened a lot in the past and my lot was on someones list of bad primers. These primers were 10-15 years old
because they had a $15 price tag. I called Winchester and explained what happened. He said there was no recall but he said they would replace them. He emailed me the instructions and a return label. I had to call Old Dominion truck lines to get them picked up and all went smooth. I got my replacement brick back today.
It took about six weeks total, but I am happy to get them replaced.

JBowen

p.s. I tried to buy some more WLR primers from the customer service guy with no luck! :mrgreen:
Last edited by JBowen on Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Kudos to Winchester

Post by AJMD429 »

That’s cool…
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I bought a bunch of small gauge target ammo from a guy, as I started shooting it later on I had to sort the 28 ga ammo as the brass was split from rim up along the side of the hull.
I spoke to someone at Winchester and they asked me to send the ammo back with lot numbers. They sent me a check.

Years ago I had some Federal 22s that somehow went through the laundry... it wouldn't go off so I sent them a letter and they wrote back asking for what I had left that didn't work. Wasn't many but they sent me a brick. Then after college and I did up my first 10/22 I bought a couple boxes of the Federal Olympic grade ammo, shot terrible to say the least. I spoke to them, gave them lot numbers and they sent me 3 bricks of different lots and it all shot like garbage.

Whenever there is a problem with ammo I let the maker know, could be the difference between a bad reputation for low quality or a gun blowing up! It's our responsibility as gun people to look out for each other.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

As we know, some powders can be position sensitive, and equipment error can cause light charges or double charges. Yes, the manufacturers need feedback. Good for Winchester.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost